Spare paddles

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
michelin

Spare paddles

Post by michelin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 pm

I am currently using a low angle paddle with a straight shaft as my main paddle and am going to buy a new paddle as a spare but am not sure what to get.Do you usually just buy the same paddle again because it is what you are used to or do you buy the opposite to what you have so that you have the best of both worlds ie a high angle paddle and do you buy a cranked shaft because it is supposed to be better for you or stick with a straight shaft because I'm used to it.

Ceegee

Re: Spare paddles

Post by Ceegee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Just my own opinion, but a bit of variety doesn't hurt. Cheap(ish) v. expensive, hi v. low angle, and cranked v. straight.

I retired my (low angle) N12 on straight glass shaft Lendal Archipelagos as my spare and changed to a Werner (hi angle) Ikelos carbon p-core bent shaft - only problem is I use them all the time now!

On long slogs I do prefer the smaller Lendal blade though, and for rock gardens too (when I don't want to risk damage to my good blades). Whatever you do, get splits on both or you won't be able to swap over and store the main blades (obvious really).

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

tg

Post by tg » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:10 pm

I use two pairs of identical splits to improve my options. But I have got some carbons for high days!

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I have two sets of Lendal Norkapps, one carbon, one N12 nylon. Both are 4 piece - the initial reason was for easy air transport but it gives me a lot of options for making up a usable paddle in the event of serious damage. I usually use the Carbon blades to paddle and the N12s as spares but swap around for rock gardens.

Chris

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm

There is muich to be said for having a decent paddle as your spares - notably as breakage or loss usually seems to happen when you most need your "good" paddle! I say this having broken my nice carbon Kinetics this year and had to revert to my f/glass, straight shafted, N12 bladed spare set for a couple of days.

Which was not nice. Heavy, clunky and uncomfortable, in comparison.

I've ended up with a set of f/glass Kinetic blades on a carbon cranked shaft as spares - and used the glass blades for a while until I enentually managed to find some carbon ones. I have to say I was impressed with the glass blades overall and would quie happily have used them as my everyday ones long term.

Mike.

Big Ade

Post by Big Ade » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 pm

4 replies all citing Lendal...
I'd reply Lendal too.
When will they get their act together with the website up and running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I'd go for the same or build towards the same, as you may not be in quite the right frame of mind for learning a new set of blades in the same conditions that may or may not have broken them or got them lost...

If anyone out there has a 230 Crank Powermaster they no longer want, please get in touch....