Rather chilly Nordic paddling...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
John K

Re: Rather chilly Nordic paddling...

Post by John K » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:31 am

Great pictures. I particularly like the big fish casually tucked under the deck lines!

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:43 am

He he, it was not so big. :) But I see the point - it was just the natural place to put it. ;)

It's totally winter here. Won't see the sun for about two months now again, and the snow makes beautiful (but cold!) winter landscape. Because it's all dark when I get home from work I don't paddle during the week, but this weekend I got out on the water again. With some friends in Lofoten at Saturday, alone just accompanied by a seal (Seline, I named her) at Sunday.

Saturday HERE and Sunday HERE in my blog, for those who wants to see more pictures. :)

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm

New kayak, first trip yesterday. Avocet - nice one. :)
More in the blog here.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:15 pm

I feel cold looking at that. We were on the river today and it was very windy and plus 5, so felt cold, but nothing like that.

Colin

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:49 am

It's a bit cold, but I think it looks even colder than it really is. :) Saturday I went on the first (short) trip with my new Nordkapp LV. Unfortunately something has happened to it before I got it, but otherwise it's a great kayak! I just love the way this boat moves. ;)
More pictures of course in the blog here.

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:33 am

Definately chilly yesterday -11°C… Cold! But who cares, on whale safari? ;) Amazing animals, mostly killer whales to see yesterday. I'm still thrilled and a big smile! :D
Of course, some more pictures in my blog HERE.

Maarten Z

Post by Maarten Z » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

Is this a birds eye view of your encounter? I noticed the multicopter on your blog and now see this passing by on facebook...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slhmzzqv21A

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes, it is! :)

My buddy with GoPro on his helmet altso has posted his video now.
Long version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KgkyVwGnc

Short verson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnApX94VNJ4

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:35 am

The sun returned some weeks ago, it's brighter every day now. I still just paddle during the weekends, but soon It'll still be daylight when I get home from work as well. :)

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 am

Last Sunday was first trip over 20 kilometers in a while now. Totally felt that (everywhere, it seemed) yesterday. But it was a great trip. Snowy mountains on one side, Norwegian Sea on the other. :) Perfect day!
(Even more pictures, and a short video in my blog here.)

Bards

Post by Bards » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:08 am

Great blog as ever. The translation aspect engages me no end; really adds to it.

Looking forward to reading of your next trip.

Bards

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks! I sometimes have to use the translationfeature myself, just to check what my foreign readers get. It gets really entertaining sometimes. :) But often I'm surprised how much is actually understandable, too!

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 am

I went for a paddle both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. It was great weather, and kind of Spring-feeling - though it'll probably be winter here for a few more months. A bit boring to be so careful all the time - but I'd rather be than to get a scary surprise out there, all by myself with cold water and Greenland (or whatever) next…

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Lot of cool happenings, lately. First of all the winter gathering at Hamaroy couple of weeks ago. Thursday/Friday was extreme weather, the storm "Kyrre" threatened to make us cancel everything. But he gave in, and most of it went just as planned - Saturday and Sunday with perfect weather. :)
You could se the pictures here: Part1, part2 and part3.

Last weekend I had a great solo trip, but made a imbarrasing mistake. Luckily it played out well, anyhow . But I don't recommend anyone to do the same. ;) Find out what I did HERE. ;)

But the coolest happening, was when we had SAR-practise together with the local rescue vessel couple of days ago. So, last few weeks I have seriously learned a lot! About tides, own stupid mistakes and visability/rescuing and so on. More pictures from the practise HERE.

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:43 am

Last Saturday, I went out to do some roll practice. Still quite cold in the water, experienced some brainfreeze couple of times… But it was beautiful colors on the afternoon sky, so I got some photos too. For photos, check my blog HERE, but maybe I succeded to post the video link here…?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzSIE-ct74[/youtube]

Seems like I didn't, but this link should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzSIE-ct74
?

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 am

Great trip last Sunday, with no wind. Some swell though. More pictures in the bloggas usual. Weather forecast isn't the best for next few days, but I still hope for some trips during the holiday. :)

heel-R

Post by heel-R » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

Hi Mia.
Do you always close your eyes when rolling?

I tried it one or two times some years ago and I realized that it was more difficult, because you lose the orientation.

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:08 am

Eeeh… I have no idea. It might have been just because the water was so cold, but I can't remember what rolling "looks like", so I suppose I do. Maybe I should try not to, se how that goes. :)

I definately will notice next time, if I do so, or not. Thanks for the tip!

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I tried yesterday - no doubt, I always roll with my eyes closed. Tried to do it with them open, but it felt weird so I got a bit confused. Actually, one time I missed the roll with them open, but made it back up again when I closed my eyes. :)

heel-R

Post by heel-R » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 pm

I think if you open your eyes and you look at the position of the blade, you will have a 100% effective roll.
Sometimes you fail, and I think it is because you lose the blade orientation, for example watch what happens at 00:36 in your own video

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 am

That's probably true. I believe I at some point began to close my eyes while rolling because I then had to start "feeling" the blade, and that seemed like a good idea at the time. And has mostly worked as planned. But now when I'm used to feel the blade a bit, it'll probably be a good idea to start rolling with eyes open again. I'll try that some more times, and see where that takes me. :) Thanks again. :)

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:03 am

Finally! It's not so chilly in the water anymore. Now you have to take two rolls directly, to get a brainfreeze. ;) One isn't enough these days. And, I only have to wear one or two layers of wool under my drysuit. :D Actually, I paddled half the last trip in a (wool) T-shirt! Made my day! (Y)
Lots of pictures in my blog from all the last trips, of course, HERE. And for those who are interested in how I'm doing with the roll, you could check it out HERE. Not bombproof, but. Getting better, at least. (But yes, I close my eyes. Can't help it, I just do.)

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 am

Seriously! Not so chilly! We have had a GREAT last few weeks now. Sometimes the fog come in from the sea, but mostly it's HOT! :) So, this is just in case someone might have the opportunity to jump on a plane last minute… ;) Arctic Sea Kayak Race (ASKR) starts on Sunday. I paddled in that area last weekend (started at Ringstad, which is also start for long ramble this year), so here's just a taste. Day 1 you find all of in my blog HERE, and you will find day 2 HERE.

Miamaria

Post by Miamaria » Sat May 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Rather chilly, but typical spring now. I love all the contrast, with the clear water and caribbean look on the sandy places, with the white mountains still surrounding it.Here from my last, short trip.