Which spray deck

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
michelin

Which spray deck

Post by michelin »

Can someone please tell me what is a good Spraydeck for a sea kayak I've tried a few but am not happy with them the boat is a Rockpool Alaw Bach

spiderman

Re: Which spray deck

Post by spiderman »

Personally i rate Reed Chillcheater above all others i have tried, Lightweight, Made to measure, durable, reasonably priced, and no "corset effect" on your ribcage.
Anas
Qanik
Bethnel Green
Shoreline
Skim Differ

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Definitely seconded for the Chillcheater.. I do have a neoprene deck as well but rarely use it. The Chillcheater one is way more comfortable, lighter and doesn't hold so much water. Also much more robust than it would appear.

Rog.

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

I'm also looking for a new spraydeck (Rockpool Alaw). I'm reluctant to get another neoprene + tube one because chafing from the tube has almost worn holes through rash vests and the nylon lining/face fabric on my neoprene wetsuits/long johns, and I don't think the laminated fabric on my (for sailing) drysuit will last as long as they have.

Are the Chillcheater decks less destructive?

I could get one of those touring decks with the nylon tube and drawcord and/or straps, but they don't seem to be that popular...

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

CaptainSensible wrote:I could get one of those touring decks with the nylon tube and drawcord and/or straps, but they don't seem to be that popular...
They are! The best selling sea kayaking deck we sell is the Peak UK Touring Deck

horis karloff

Post by horis karloff »

I had 3 chillcheaters and they were very good, lightweight and made to measure around torso. my current deck for my ecobezhig is a peak uk of which i can't fault

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Hi,

another second for the Chillcheater decks, just an excellent piece of kit. Get the one with map rings and you can fit your own elastics to suit which is particularly useful for a long cockpit like the Alaw Bach. I've got a Keyhole B (I think) which fits both my Tiderace Xcite and my wife's Alaw. You can also specify from a range of waist sizes, check either with Reed themselves or Karitek.

Comfortable, don't leak or absorb water and pretty light; altogether a good bit of kit

Ian

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The Seals brand neoprene decks seem to be nice bit of kit (talk to Knoydart) - at the other end of the price scale, I've also heard good things about the Lomo decks which are very reasonably priced.

On a personal note, I've never liked the "touring" style of deck because they can't be worn effectivly with a double-seal cag. I'd imagine they are comfortable though, and less restrictive than a neo waist tube.

Mike

tg

Post by tg »

I'd be inclined to look at the Lomo catalogue too. They seem (to me at least) to be fairly recent on the 'scene', but look good. I invariably order Reed for my boats with bailing hole, but I'm not sure how they compare with repeated T/X rescues. Lomo, and others, with reinforced coaming edging area seem to be strong. My Reeds show wear after a days excercise. But hey, how often do you expect to perform a rescue.

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

My vote goes for Reed Chillcheater as well. They're a bit gentler at the waist that neoprene ones, as well as the other advantages.

Lomo neoprene is good value for money, though not as nice. Watch their waist sizes - the waist sizes available seem to be too big or too small for many folk.

michelin

Post by michelin »

The problem I'm having is the bungee seems like it is to thick for the gap in the cockpit they do fit but I'm almost pushing it into the slot.I've tried the Peak Ocean deck but that was to wide for the boat althought it was keyhole size and I am currently using a Palm Classic which fits better and I bought a Rockpool one with the kayak but it's rubbish it fits nice and easy with thinner bungee but it leaks and its build quality is no where near as good as the Peak and Palm.I do like the neoprene decks but it doesn't look like I'm going to get any better than I've already got and I've never trired a deck with nylon tube on it didn't think that it would seal as good as a neoprene one.I do like the reed one without the braces but it looks like the material isn't very good if you start doing rescues and as I am new to sea kayaking I need to practice these things. I quite like the look of the Palm Ranoake anyone tried one of these obviously I would take the braces off.

Jim

Post by Jim »

michelin wrote:The problem I'm having is the bungee seems like it is to thick for the gap in the cockpit they do fit but I'm almost pushing it into the slot.I've tried the Peak Ocean deck but that was to wide for the boat althought it was keyhole size and I am currently using a Palm Classic which fits better and I bought a Rockpool one with the kayak but it's rubbish it fits nice and easy with thinner bungee but it leaks and its build quality is no where near as good as the Peak and Palm.I do like the neoprene decks but it doesn't look like I'm going to get any better than I've already got and I've never trired a deck with nylon tube on it didn't think that it would seal as good as a neoprene one.I do like the reed one without the braces but it looks like the material isn't very good if you start doing rescues and as I am new to sea kayaking I need to practice these things. I quite like the look of the Palm Ranoake anyone tried one of these obviously I would take the braces off.
It looks to me like your best bet is to contact Knoydart, they should already have a deck to fit the Alaw Bach, but if not tell them the length and breadth of the cockpit they will work out the right size and if necessary make a deck to fit it. Reed would do the same, but as you note the fabric might not be too keen on lots of rescue work. Other makers that might still do custom spray decks are peakuk and phoenix. Palm and Lomo are made overseas so if the standard designs don't fit you need to look elsewhere.

ian.miller

Post by ian.miller »

I'm a fan of Reed decks as well but you do have to consider that they are a bit more fragile than other decks. Also they are often supplied with a double loop of elastic which can be a faff if you are putting it on in a hurry as the strands separate and you can end up with one in and one out. If you dont need a supertight deck ask for a single strand version. Despite having a couple of minor holes in my present one it is still far more watertight than any neoprene deck I've ever used at the same age. My last Palm Combi was a disaster after one season and I don't think neoprene handles the continual stretching and movement it gets in the area behind your back. Best deck I have ever owned is a non adjustable heavy duty nylon deck with a soft nylon tube. It was made by Kayaksport and was still going strong after several years of use. Why no one markets them any more is a puzzle to me. Maybe they prefer selling decks you have to replace every year!