Sea Kayak Courier Wanted

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
GrumpyPumpy

Sea Kayak Courier Wanted

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Does anyone know of a courier who could fetch a plastic sea kayak from Hallbankgate near Carlisle to Weymouth for a reasonable rate?

Alternatively if anyone is travelling South and could collect it for me I would see them OK for some fuel money.

They don't have to get it all way South, perhaps if I could meet them enroute somewhere or possibly drop at some friends in Nailsworth, Glos.

Cheers

Graham

MikeB

Re: Sea Kayak Courier Wanted

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:11 pm

I got this from Dan @ Tiderace a while back - could be worth a contact?

"If you're looking for kayak transport, there are two guys based in Birmingham who worked with and were left in the sh*t by Adam Sedgwick when he did his flit; the main guy is Huw Jenkins and his number is 07949 446925. He's doing a lot of runs to the continent for people like Pyranha and Nigel Dennis, he may be able to collect from Kent on his way back up north from Dover? These two were in no way associated with all the 'issues' with Adam. "

Not had an experience of using him although I did explore the possibility of him moving a boat from Kent to Penrith for me on a run to Knoydart's place there, and he seemed helpful and knew what he was doing. He charges (iirc) £1.40 a mile if the journey is outside a normal run for him.

The other thought would be to talk to Brookbank who of course seem to have vehicles doing runs up and down the country to service their shop in Perth.

Mike

GrumpyPumpy

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks I'll give him a call.

G

johnb

Post by johnb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 pm

How quick do you want it?... I live/work in Manchester but will be going to Weymouth for Christmas.

snapper

Post by snapper » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I've met the guys from Birmingham when they came and picked up from us. Came across as genuine and were pleasant guys; they got screwed over by Sedgewick along with a couple of my mates.
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

GrumpyPumpy

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:30 pm

johnb wrote:How quick do you want it?... I live/work in Manchester but will be going to Weymouth for Christmas.
I'm not desperate if I can get it down to Manchester if you could get it to Weymouth that would be brill.

grazie

Post by grazie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:27 pm

There's a good chance I'll be bringing back my kayak from Shetland to Kent next week. I usually cut across to the A1 at Penrith, but could continue down the M6 and M1 instead. Nailsworth is too far out of the way for me, so could drop it off somewhere near the M1 or leave it with johnb (whom I know) for him to bring down to Weymouth.

If the logistics work out, it could be a goer.

Graeme

GrumpyPumpy

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Grazie

Where in Kent are you my brother lives in Eynesford near Brands Hatch that might be an option?

Cheers

Grumpy

grazie

Post by grazie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Sent you a PM with details...too boring to clutter up the forum.

Skua

Post by Skua » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:34 pm

that number for Keith makes a funny noise when I ring it...anyone know what their firm is called. I have 3 kayaks to go to Italy.

johnmcm

Post by johnmcm » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Just used Paisleyfreight.com to courier a Pyranha Fusion up from Plymouth to Southampton. Great service for £45. The website said limited to 2.5m but a quick email sorted that. Strangely it was actually TNT that delivered it so they must have some kind of deal going on between them.
Regards
John

GrumpyPumpy

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:12 pm

johnmcm wrote:Just used Paisleyfreight.com to courier a Pyranha Fusion up from Plymouth to Southampton. Great service for £45. The website said limited to 2.5m but a quick email sorted that. Strangely it was actually TNT that delivered it so they must have some kind of deal going on between them.
Regards
John
I think I may be sorted weather dependent of course which is a bit unpredictable this week, a member of The Isle of Portland Canoe Club (which I have just joined) is hopefully going up to Kendal this week for work.

I went on Paisley Freights website and didn't think to E mail them when it rejected my kayak as being too long or wide or something.

I work in Plymouth and Portsmouth and live in Weymouth if anyone needs anything transporting along that section of the coast that can fit in or on my Vectra Estate would be happy to oblige providing your not in a desperate hurry.
I also sometimes but not very often go up to Birmingham, spring / summer months I sometimes travel to Carlise, Welsh Borders (Bishops Castle), Harlow Essex and in January Warwick.
Again PM me for dates when I will travelling to those places listed if you need something shifting, I also go to Kent near Brands Hatch occasionally.

Just send me a PM, if I can do it I will.

GrumpyPumpy

Post by GrumpyPumpy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I have fetched my kayak back from Carlisle way this weekend, drove up yesterday morning, and drove back yesterday afternoon in what can only be described as f***ing windy conditions, particularly going up over Shap on the M6, it was still on the roof when I got back to Weymouth so I must have secured it well.

Good job I don't have to pay for fuel or it would have cost me £80 to £100.

Thanks to those who offered to collect it but were defeated by the weather before Christmas.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:57 pm

The Guardian has a piece about drivers cutting costs by incorporating deliveries into their journeys. The paper cites a website http://www.anyvan.com/ which, they reckon, works much like liftshare sites. People who want something moved choose drivers on the basis of their bid for a particular job, reliability ratings, and so on.

Might just be a good way of getting a kayak moved around the country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/ma ... NTCMP=SRCH has the tale.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============