First Sea Kayak - NorthShore Atlantic RM^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
richard2

First Sea Kayak - NorthShore Atlantic RM^

Post by richard2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 am

Me and my dad have both done a lot of whitewater kayaking, but pretty much nothing on the sea. He has now bought a place by the sea so looking to do some sea kayaking. Does anyone have any opinions on the North Shore Atlantic RM?
Seems well priced compared to a lot of it's competitors.
I am approx 11.5 stone 6'1, my dad is a couple of inches shorter and a couple of stone heavier! Would we both be suited size wise?
Or is there something else we should consider? Would be purchasing two, and dont want to spend a fortune!
Would mainly be for leisurely day trips with occasional overnighters.
Thanks in advance for your advise.
Richard

nathughes

Re: First Sea Kayak - NorthShore Atlantic RM

Post by nathughes » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 am

Hi there,

I am looking for my first Sea Kayak too. The Northshore cetainly looks like a nice boat. My advice would be speak to your local supplier, because cetainly down here in Devon the dealers have demo boats for potential buyers to borrow.
Have you thought about the P&H Capella RM 160 or 166?

Nathan

Jonas Karlsson

Post by Jonas Karlsson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Richard!

I have paddled a NorthShore Calypso for some years, and still do from time to time. Not exactly the same as the Atlantic but as far as I know the Atlantic was made from the Calypso. The shape of the hull is the same as far as I know. I think that the Atlantic has a larger or higher foredeck compared to the Calypso, so it fits larger paddlers or paddlers with longer legs.

Anyway I think that the differences are quite small...so I can say that it's a nice kayak. Suitable for both longer trips and day trips, my Calypso it's actually fun to paddle empty without load. Feels stable, safe and are easy to manouver in larger seas. Nice low deck behind the cockpit, so it's easy to roll. Mine is the old version (pre Valley hatches and cockpit/tighbraces) and in my opinion the older keyhole cockpit and original tighbrace are far better as you got a tighter fit...but thats also depends on paddler size of course...

Just visited the NorthShore web and the cockpit and tighbraces looks more like mine again...that's a good thing!

Jonas

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Richard,
Have you considered a Valley Aquanaut Club, which is a reduced cost version of the Aquanaut (also slightly changed aspect ratio)?
Ken

hugozero

Post by hugozero » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum. Saw this post & thought you might be interested to hear that Bournemouth Canoes are discounting composite Northshores - go to
http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/bargains.htm for details.

A couple of our guys have the glass Northshores & have nothing but praise for them. One of them took his new boat to Lundy (& returned)within his first few trips handling some challenging seas aling the way!

Hope this helps

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:22 pm

It seems to do well in this test Richard (especially taking into account the reasonable price).
http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... p?item=638

richard2

Post by richard2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks for all the replies. Think it's time to start seeing who will do a nice deal on two of them...!
Richard

Robbie C

Post by Robbie C » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi Richard,
I can recomend the Valley Aquanaut Club which looks very simillar?
I got one from AS Watersports at the beginning of the year & have to say It's excellent value for money, It doesn't flex like alot of the boats that are more touring based & the only downside I have found is the weight of the boat when moving it around on land & when loading onto a car. Budget for a trolley!
While I haven't taken it out into a tiderace, the boat has been out in some lumpy seas & performed well. It has also seen a few longer trips which only showed up the need to make sure any weight is distributed evenly & that I need to spend time customising it to fit.

Another plus point is that you can put a smaller beginner paddler into it & they can easily paddle a reasonable distance in a short time in the right conditions.
Whatever you get, I'm sure you will enjoy it! Cheers Robbie C.

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Managed to get a look at the Atlantic RM today at the Perth show. It doesn't look bad for the price. Large round front hatch, round day hatch and almost round rear hatch. Not sure why the odd sized rear hatch but there's lots of space in the back two hatches, the front one is quite big as well.
There's a bar running down the floor of the cockpit from bulkhead to bulkhead which, I assume is for rigidity. The bulkheads are dish shaped and welded/bonded (not sure which). They're also held in place by small screws. The seat is the new valley seat, and the thigh grips are molded plastic ones which give a very positive grip. (About a million miles better than the standard valley grips). They can be ajusted by about half an inch back or forwards. The footpegs are the small alloy type which are ok-ish as long as you don't want to ajust them often.
The plastic is single skin and it did wobble a bit, hence the stiffning bar, other than that it's hard to tell just by looking at a kayak sitting in a showroom. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one to try on the water soon.

AllanC

Post by AllanC » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi there, our club have taken delivery of four of these to renew part of the club fleet and I got to take one out for it's first paddle. I thought the boat was great for the money.
I paddle a Cetus now, but I spent most of my learning and paddling up until last year paddling a few of the North Shore boats and still have Mariner. The deck is quite low for me now and you therefore have a quite flat, wide leg position, but it was perfectly comfortable for the couple of hours I was out, the seat was quite flat though and took me a modicum of getting used to. It was fast enough for a plastic boat although it didn't carry it's way the way I'm used to, and although the conditions were very mild when I was out I felt a bit of flexibility as it took waves on the quarter, but nothing to pose any problems. The bar in the keel is a stiffener. I really like the enclosed skeg mechanism so that there is no room for the wire to kink at the slider. Otherwise the boat seems as sensible, predictable and calm as the likes of the Mariner and Calypso were and therefore should be a good sea boat as well.

Allan C

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:46 am

They have 2 vailable for demo in Sea Kayak Oban . No charge for a couple of hours from the harbour.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:41 pm

swagstaff wrote:They have 2 vailable for demo in Sea Kayak Oban . No charge for a couple of hours from the harbour.
How much for a weekend?

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

2 days for the price of 1 so only £30 for the weekend.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

freddy_j

Post by freddy_j » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:54 pm

Looking for a first sea kayak as well and had a look at the Atlantic RM in Perth but not sure about the metal bar arrangement. It doesn't show up on any pictures I have found so has it been added as an after thought due to flexing problems ?

Trying to decide whether to buy one of those new or maybe look out for a 2nd hand Aquanaut RM

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 am

I took one out yesterday in some very squally weather with everything from flat calm to short choppy confused seas. I'm really impressed it handles very well, I tried it upwind, down wind and varoius angles across the wind and it kept its head every time quite a refreshing change from my Anas Acuta. Its a very neutral kayak and didn't really need the sheg much if at all; I did find the slide quite stiff, not sure why. It surfs well and is an easy roll. I didn't notice any flexing even in the roughest of the squalls, so not sure why they've added the bar.

URL=http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img0767u.jpg/]Image[/URL]
URL=http://img808.imageshack.us/i/img0769t.jpg/]Image[/URL]
The cockpit showing the bar arrangement.
Great thigh braces really positive.
Back deck layout, very big back hatch.

For under £800 you get a new kayak for the price of a second hand one. If your on a budget or looking of r a first boat this is well worth looking at.

My thanks to Sea Kayak Oban.

maxturner

Post by maxturner » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Is the smaller version of this kayak out yet ?(Shoreline/Atlantic LV)

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 am

If you mean in plastic then I don't think so, the composite LV has been out for quite a while.

maxturner

Post by maxturner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 am

The Ad in canoe mag suggests the RM is out in 2 sizes, i know they are planning it, i'm also interested in seeing the Aspect, any info on that ? i like short kayaks, though these are best paddled without a beard in my experience !

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Retailers have been assured that the Atlantic LV RM will be out in the next couple of months but this is "Valley time"
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

GeeCee

Post by GeeCee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

I recently bought a North Shore Atlantic RM HV, and although I am no Sea Kayak expert, (it is my first sea kayak, I did my BCU 1 and 2 * training in an old Prijon T-Slalom), I have to say that I am very imressed.

The build quality is good and i think it looks better than the other "budget" RM sea kayaks too.

It has good initial and secondary stability, which is great for a beginner/intermediate paddler like myself.

The skeg on my boat is smooth and the control is positioned perfectly.

I am 5' 8" tall and weight about 12 and a half stone and i fit perfectly. I don't have long legs, but the thigh rests are perfectly placed and i felt good even after being in choppy Solent seas for a couple of hours.

Although i have not been out in monster seas, i have been out in seas that i might have thought twice about in my Prijon GP and there was no flex at all. This may be due to the strengthener bar that runs down the centre, but either way, it felt safe and sturdy.

There were no suprises with its behaviour. At no point did i ever feel that i was about to take a swim, even with large waves hitting me broadside.

Although I have nothing to compare it to (other than and Aquanaut club, and the Atlantic is much nicer), i would give it a 10 out of 10 for a budget RM kayak for beginners/intermediate.

I am sure that there is nothing to beat an expensive composite boat, but for those on a budget who are waiting for their skills to develop a bit more before taking the leap into a fiberglass boat then i recommend this kayak to you.

Paddlesmacker

Re: First Sea Kayak - NorthShore Atlantic RM^

Post by Paddlesmacker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:21 pm

I have had a similar experience to CG.

I got my new red Atlantic RM from Desperate Measures in Sept. I had no previous 'yakin' experience other than some roll training in the swimming pool.
It has been great for me. I't never felt tippy even on day one and inspires confidence in me. Everything seems to work fine, although I'm yet to make it to the brine-I've been learning how to paddle properly and get some proper fitness on my local river (Nene around Oundle) before I venture further. Thankfully, I can now paddle in a straight(ish) line.

I had some white staining on the hull which didn't disappear after 303' ing, and a slight leak in the rear bulkhead. Valley and Desperate Measures happily swapped the boat for a new one and kept me happy. It was one of the first out of the mould and they have obviously solved this problem-the new bulkheads are sealed well and there are no white marks.

I can't wait to start getting out into bigger water in it.

EricB

Post by EricB » Sun May 15, 2011 10:48 am

Hello,

I'm a french beginner paddler. I think to purchase an Atlantic RM kayak (Northshore). Last week, I've had the chance to try it. It seemed this kayak is good for me and my skill level. But I've noticed two problems (may be there's no problem ?) about construction : a) the bulkheads are half filled with water. b) the shape ( around bow hull between deck and forestern) was lightly deformed. So, I have examined the plastic at this point of the hull and I think the single layer is very flexible and thin (only at this point).

Before buying this kayak, i would like received your opinion about the plastic quality of this boat.
Thank you for your answers.
Sorry for my approximative english.

Eric

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon May 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Eric,

I to had water in the bulkheads, it's easy fixed. There are three screws holding the bulkheads in place. Loosen these off and put some silicon sealant behind the screw head before re-tightening. As for the deforming take it back.

orton1966

Post by orton1966 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Owen wrote: I didn't notice any flexing even in the roughest of the squalls, so not sure why they've added the bar

Possibly you should really be saying the bar appears to work because you didn't notice any flexing!

EricB

Post by EricB » Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 am

Hello Owen,
Thanks for your reply.
I've visited your blog. Nice pictures and travels.
Are you happy to sail with the Atlantic ?
And what is your opinion about the plastic quality and its durability ?

Thanks

Eric

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Eric,

Glad you like my blog. I've had my AtlanticRM since November, in that time I've used it for rockhopping/surfing through rock gardens, day tripping in winds from 0 to force 6 and on some short open crossings (about 5 miles). Before this I've had a glass dawn treader and a very old glass Anas Acuta, I've also paddled the older style shoreline (now called the Atlantic LV) quite extensively. The RM boat handles just like a glass one, over a very long day you might notice the difference between the two, but for most normal paddling there's not much in it. You ask if I'd sail it? If you mean with mast and sails etc then no. I'm just not into all that faff. If you mean would I paddle it anywhere then most definitely. I'm planning a few long trips over the summer all in my plastic kayak.

The plastic is the same quality as all the other single skinned plastic kayaks. The triple skinned ones are stiffer but also heavier. Plastic were's faster than glass but there are lots of old plastic boats about. How long they last will very much depend on how hard you paddle them. I'm more than happy with mine and our club has just brought two after seeing mine. By far the best value kayaks around at the moment, I expect to see a lot more of them in the years to come.

EricB

Post by EricB » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks Owen

Thank you for your answer. I think however it is a very good kayak and the price is nice.
I hesitate to take the composite model (but it's expensive) . I am impatient.
Of any manners, I must wait at the beginning of June, NS kayaks will be not in the store before.

Good evening

Eric

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

The composite boat is very nice - and extremely good value for money, certainly in comparison to the other main manufacturers. Mike

rockall

Post by rockall » Sat May 21, 2011 1:35 am

This certainly does look like a very attractive buy in plastic...and even composite.

I don't want to skew the thread, but ha anyone on this thread paddled the Polar or Polar HV (old Bucaneer)...? Seems like some very good deals are vailable on these and I saw one and thought the build quality very good (glass) and when I sat in it I instantly fitted! But that was on the shop floor! Has anyone any impression of the Polar for an intermediate paddler? I've never used a hard chined boat.

Thx

Dai drip

Post by Dai drip » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I have had a Calypso for about 5 years. Same hull shape as Atlantic, different deck and cockpit shape. Great boat, stable, reasonably quick and well built. Paddles well with no load and better loaded. Handles really well in following seas due to lots of rocker, this is at the expense of some speed. Rocker also helps turning. No idea about the newer hatches but the old ones are fine if you take care how you close them. Skeg is really reliable. Large enough for more than a week expedition camping. Low rear deck good for rolling as are the upswept bow and stern. I think this is a really excellent boat to get to grips with sea kayaking.