Help me with my plastic Neutron!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
planet

Help me with my plastic Neutron!

Post by planet »

After many years of sliding down waves in a playboat, I decided it was time for rails and fins - so got a plastic Neutron.

Went out in it for the first time time the other day - poo surf - 1 to 2 ft wind blown, but the occasional nice set coming through. Had some really awesome rides which totally converted me to the need for a proper surf boat - they are quick and super 'turney' aren't they! My questions are:-

1. Is it normal to be unstable and wobbly when not moving forward? I constantly felt that I would fall over, and after only a couple hours felt that I had had a very tough workout - especially calves and particularly hip flexors!

2. What can I do to improve the fit of the boat? The thigh braces are a bit floppy and the foam blocks for footrests don't afford much adjustment. The result is that I am more loose in the boat than I am used to. Is this normal, or do I need to pad it out better?

3. Following from 2, what is the best way to pad out a plastic kayak? Can I get more aggresive/ stiffer thigh braces that will fit into a plastic Neutron? And what adhesive sould I use? (I have followed the thread about sticking things to a composite boat - is it the same for a plastic one?

StoneWeasel

Re: Help me with my plastic Neutron!

Post by StoneWeasel »

planet wrote:After many years of sliding down waves in a playboat, I decided it was time for rails and fins - so got a plastic Neutron.

Went out in it for the first time time the other day - poo surf - 1 to 2 ft wind blown, but the occasional nice set coming through. Had some really awesome rides which totally converted me to the need for a proper surf boat - they are quick and super 'turney' aren't they! My questions are:-
Glad you are converted to the way of the surf craft, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.
planet wrote:1. Is it normal to be unstable and wobbly when not moving forward? I constantly felt that I would fall over, and after only a couple hours felt that I had had a very tough workout - especially calves and particularly hip flexors!
Yes but don't worry, paddling surf boats increase you balance / stability in a boat no end and in no time you will be wondering why you ever had a problem. This is also handy for other disciplines as your boats will start to feel super stable (unless it is a sprint / marathon boat, nothing makes those things feel stable).
planet wrote:2. What can I do to improve the fit of the boat? The thigh braces are a bit floppy and the foam blocks for footrests don't afford much adjustment. The result is that I am more loose in the boat than I am used to. Is this normal, or do I need to pad it out better?
You need to pad it out better, fit is very important, you want every move you make to be transferred to the boat. You really can not beat some home made outfitting though as you can get it so it is perfect for yourself, all you need is some foam, some glue (Evostick Impact or 528), a bread knife, a hacksaw blade (optional but I find very useful for bits that the bread knife is not really delicate enough for), some course sandpaper and if you have one a shaping surform can be helpful. Just cut and shape your own hip pads and foot blocks (if you want any advice on doing this give me a shout, I do this for most of my boats even if they come with adjustable outfitting).
planet wrote:3. Following from 2, what is the best way to pad out a plastic kayak? Can I get more aggresive/ stiffer thigh braces that will fit into a plastic Neutron? And what adhesive sould I use? (I have followed the thread about sticking things to a composite boat - is it the same for a plastic one?
[/quote] Not really sure about retrofitting thighbraces to it but the glue you want is Evostick Impat or Evostick 528 if you can get hold of some.

Hope that helps,

Denzil

Mutsurfx

Post by Mutsurfx »

Not really adding much here, but for what it's worth:

1) Yes, I had the same with my Maverick - felt like balancing on a barrel to begin with. It was easier to stay on edge than to keep flat, but that feeling has all gone now and it's hard to imagine how it could have ever felt so unstable. Also the aches and strains caused by the first session were not so bad subsequently.

2&3) Yeah, Evostick Impact + Minicell foam here too. I have heaps of foam rammed in the bow :)

-Mut

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking »

Hi
I got my plastic neutron about 6 months ago. To start with i also found it very unstable but you soon get use to it.
I bought mine second hand. The guy i bought it from had done two things to improve it.

1. Removed the original back rest and packet out the back of the boat with foam so there is no need for air bags. Put foam on the hips aswell.

2.Bolted aluminium bars in across the thigh braces.This greatly increases the rigidity of the cockpit area and thigh braces allowing for much better control over the boat and helping prevent your knees from popping out when rolling.

I have not found the bars any problem gettin in or out of the boat.

I would however not suggest trying this without due consideration towards you safety!

Hope this helps.

Frosty Jack

Post by Frosty Jack »

I have also got a plastic neutron. I didn't find it un-stable but I did rattle around inside it a little bit. I also found it difficult to roll and quite often could not catch the wave properly. so I padded it out with mini cell foam, I got some hip pads from Malcom at Mega as I played around for ages trying to make some and stick them in but they kept on coming out. I alson moved the seat around moved it forwards which made a difference. The hip pads I bought stay in place and make it fit better and easier to roll.
Hope that is some more ideas
Upside Down Blowing Bubles....

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

vintage wrote:Hi

2.Bolted aluminium bars in across the thigh braces.This greatly increases the rigidity of the cockpit area and thigh braces allowing for much better control over the boat and helping prevent your knees from popping out when rolling.

I have not found the bars any problem gettin in or out of the boat.

I would however not suggest trying this without due consideration towards you safety!

Hope this helps.
This is something I have been thinking about doing to mine any chance of a picture of what you did!

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking »

Here ya go. its just 4 bolts into the tight braces. Make a hugh difference.

dave

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

Thanks I think I will see if I can rig something similar up as I find the boat flexes a bit around the brace area.