Weeeee!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jonny-the-ski

Weeeee!

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

.....been flat in the UK hasn't it?
(just for the K-town boys :) )

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Re: Weeeee!

Post by soundoftheseagull »

Weee and Wow, great photo
Dave

Rockpool GT

Chris Heaney

Post by Chris Heaney »

Wow!

Soul Surfer

Post by Soul Surfer »

SWEET!!!
People are always afraid of what's different...

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

I was out there for about an hour before I caught one. Mix of fear and speed of the waves, stopped me catching em, this was my 3rd wave, after I worked out I could make it (if I made the vertical drop!). Believe it or not - this was one of the smaller ones the following day. We tried tow-surfing the day before, and it was just massive. I was so freaked I could taste sick in my mouth, and hadn't slept the night before. Caught one MONSTER wave, but it is impossible to tow on a ski, I am convinced now. You don't have knees to act as suspension to iron out the bumps, and you cant carry speed like a stand-up. As soon as you let go, it's like you put on a hand-brake! The one I caught felt like 100 mph, and just bouncing off huge chops. Lucky I didn't die lol.

This was the day after, on the inner reef at the same spot, and you had to get right under the breaking lip to take off, you can see my last paddle stroke to my right above my paddle, and look how far away it is in mere seconds. THAT is how fast it is going - like a freight train. This was the same swell that was hammering Tahiti.

Soul Surfer

Post by Soul Surfer »

Where is this? Fiji?
People are always afraid of what's different...

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

The day before (not me) from the boat. BIG!!!
You can see the size of the chop, the ski just bounced. Mine wasn't quite this big, but was massive too!

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

Soul Surfer wrote:Where is this? Fiji?
Can't say where - but close. RCJ was out there, so the pro's know about it. Halfway between NZ and Hawaii (by brother lives in NZ hence I got the freebee trip... yep you heard right, free!. Will PM you Soul!

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

The night before, the rain was crazy, like natures vengeance for idiots planning to ride the following morning's waves. Wind making the palms fly off ant hit the hut with the occasional thud! Every time I jumped and my heart stopped, on screen a 30 foot + swell at 25!!. Inside, all I had bouncing around my head was "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God - please don't be too huge"
All the guy's where 'wooping' and saying how theyy hoped it was huge - biggest ever. I, was saying the same, but, wen I looked out the window, to the avalanches of white, visible through the dark, I kept thinking, they had to be as frightened as I am, surely?

4am we had the call. Some serious big wave stand-ups, my brother who's towed before, and one lone waveski surfer. The wind had dropped, the Ski's were in the water, offshore before the trade winds.
They walked in, us awake and it still dark, and they were silent.
"What's it like"
Doolie, an Auzzie said "I've never seen anything like it, it's...... it's...... gigantic"

My heart sank!

But on the boat and on the jetski's, watching em, I thought 'I can make it, I could make the drop if I timed it right. When I paddled over to The guy on the jetski, on a waveski, he said "NO WAY"
But, this was probably my only chance to do this - I said "I'm going"

Needless to say, all didn't go to plan, as it was a nightmare as said above. The following day when it was smaller (ha - smaller??) I earned some serious kudos for paddle surfers, paddling in on these massive rights. when they realised I was strapped in, with no quick release, and if I didn't make it, well death was a very real possibility. But I knew I could make the drop, as long as I caught the right waves.

Don't think for a second I wasn't bricking it though. Sometimes though, you've got just one chance. And you will never know what you are capable of unless you challenge yourself.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Holy [Expletive Deletive] dude, you're absolutely [Expletive Deletive] nuts!

Fair play to you dude and while not on anything nearly as nuts or gnarly as that I certainly agree with your sentiment "Sometimes though, you've got just one chance. And you will never know what you are capable of unless you challenge yourself." and that has certainly been my mode of thought on several big slabby days which have been some of the best times I have ever had in a goat boat.

Denzil

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports »

Ah ha, Sidmouth strikes back!

In my best surfer lingo "Sick brah". That is mighty impressive. Good work.

Ewart

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

AS Watersports wrote:Ah ha, Sidmouth strikes back!

In my best surfer lingo "Sick brah". That is mighty impressive. Good work.

Ewart
One for us South Devon'ers eh! Nothin compared to mushy Bantham lol!

Strad

Post by Strad »

That is both barking mad and darn impressive at the same time.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Gages

Post by Gages »

I usually say go hard or go home........

You went hard

Go Bro