Memory Map goes Maritime^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Memory Map goes Maritime^

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 pm

Anyone here own this?
http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_atsea.htm

Before I buy, I would be interested to get an idea of coverage/ charts included/ scales/ etc - but the website is not exactly forthcoming...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jon P

Re: Memory Map goes Maritime

Post by Jon P » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 pm

I pre-ordered this from their website. So far I haven't found an area that I have or would be interested in paddling in that isn't covered by one of the maps. Mostly at 1:25000 with some smaller scale harbour maps and some larger maps like the Wester Approaches, Liverpool Bay or the North Sea. Seems massive value for money. My only critisism is that sometimes it is hard to find the map you want unless you know the sheet name.
Jonathan

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks - does it cover Shetland? Channel Islands?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

SWPaddler

Post by SWPaddler » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:22 pm

Both Channel islands and Shetland are included. Plus Ireland.

There is a fantastic quantity of charts included for £40. Superb value.

The numbers of the charts don't seem to match with the few paper charts that I own, although my paper charts are leisure folios.

I agree that it is difficult to find the right chart for the place you want to look at. Near the bottom of the map list is BA0002 British Isles. This shows some outlines of charts but only a few of them are numbered and even then the numbers don't seem to mean anything. Also you have to reload the charts occasionally to make sure that you can see all of them.

If you right click over a chart outline and select Map list at cursor this gives the list of charts that cover the place you are looking at. You can then select the right chart and effectively zoom in and out to get the right level of detail.

More tips from other users would be great.

SWP

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 am

Thanks, I have ordered.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:26 am

Odd, I thought the leisure folio chart numbers included the original chart number (often the leisure charts split a chart into lots of smaller chunks and/or don't show the full area of the original)

Anyway, to work out chart numbers, there used to be a printed catalogue, I'm sure I have had it for free in the past but I'm sure I've also seen it for sale. It hardly matters, UKHO now have 2 digital versions of the catalogue freely downloadable:

Standard or Light version

Extended or Full version

(looks like the guy who named the programs and the guy who put them on the website had different ideas about how to market them :-) )

I can't really tell the difference, it may simply be down to the resolution of the world map it's based on?

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't suppose there is an easy way to combine the land maps with the charts into one view?
Cheers

Adrian J Pullin
-------------------------------------------------------
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Kayak lore: "He who capsizes must also roll".

kevr

Post by kevr » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:28 pm

If anyone has an iPhone, iTouch or iPad, then there is a great app from Naviomics see link below. I bought my iTouch just for this app, it's got all the UK charts, tidal info, moon phases and tidal diamond info and route planning on.

Brilliant especially at £18.50 and it fits in ya pocket, from the iTunes app Store.

http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarineFe ... ype=iPhone

Cheers,

Kev

juliasixtyfive

Post by juliasixtyfive » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Navionics is also available for android phones: http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarineFe ... pe=Android

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm

adrian j pullen wrote:
I don't suppose there is an easy way to combine the land maps with the charts into one view?
The French seem to have come up with just such a combination.

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:00 pm

A thought regarding Memory Map Maritime for anybody using Memory Maps Version 5 - their last version of land-based mapping.

I wonder if, for arguments sake, you had already installed your V5 land based-maps on your laptop and PC, plus, maybe, your office PC, (which would of course be against Memory Map terms & conditions), you might find that the system would run perfectly well with all associated functionality (printing, route planning, etc) on all of those machines. Not that anyone would do such a thing of course.

Now, suppose that you come along with you new MM Maritime disc and installed it on your laptop and PC, etc., in the hope of running the charts either independantly or alongside your V5 land based mapping. You might be surprised to find that, allegedly, the new MM Maritime automatically instals their latest map management and LICENSING system "Memory Map European" and deletes your existing Version 5, without so much as a by-your-leave!

Additionally, it might be the case, allegedly, that the "MM European" version requires that you then must register ALL of your mapping (including your EXISTING land-based mapping as well as your new charts) online BEFORE you can view any of your (existing) maps or charts, or use ANY of the system functionality - and restricts you to installing your maps and charts on ONE PC and ONE "portable device" ONLY, as per their terms and conditions. And, in the world of Memory Map, a "portable device" does NOT include a laptop, but does include a GPS type device.

So, had you been a bit of a wag and already installed MM V5 and associated mapping on more than one computer or "portable device", and subsequently instal the "European version", you will have no choice but to fully comply, as right and proper, with their terms & conditions of using the maps & charts on a PC and "portable device" only.....

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:22 pm

I hate overly invasive/restrictive license agreements - I wonder why otherwise law-abiding folk feel the need to turn to torrents?

Anyway - I've just successfully (as far as I can tell) installed it on both my PC and netbook, and they are running at once (fully licensed) without problems - when it asked me to give it a name for the relevant computer so they could distinguish it apart, I simply deleted the suggested name. I also refused to supply contact details beyond my email, it allowed this.

When I asked it to load up maps, I deleted the folder where my current OS maps are kept - I don't want it registering these, that would be an annoyance and a PITA.

I think the solution to keep running my old Memory Map OS maps is to install and run one of the older versions separately and view those maps only on that, I'll let you know how that goes.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Oh, and yes ... it's a phenomenal piece of software in terms of content. As far as I can see, with a good printer and a laminator, I never need to buy a UK chart again.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Mark,

It does indeed look good, does it have any tidal diamonds etc or is it purely the geography / beacons etc?

Mike

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Yes, it has all the original bumf on the charts.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Mark R wrote:When I asked it to load up maps, I deleted the folder where my current OS maps are kept - I don't want it registering these, that would be an annoyance and a PITA.
Just to clarify ... I didn't delete the actual maps folder - I deleted the mention of the folder from the list it comes up with, when asking where you want it to look for maps.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Hasis

Post by Hasis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:18 am

Mark R wrote:
Just to clarify ... I didn't delete the actual maps folder - I deleted the mention of the folder from the list it comes up with, when asking where you want it to look for maps.
I thought that was a bit rash when I read it! :o)

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 pm

Mark R wrote:As far as I can see, with a good printer and a laminator, I never need to buy a UK chart again.
Ah yes, laminating the updates onto the chart would work well :-)

How many of us ever check the admiralty notices and update our charts accordingly? (People who also work on ships need not reply, we'll take it for granted that you do)

delphinidae

Post by delphinidae » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 pm

How does this compare to Garmin's Blue Chart, or are they completely different products?

That is, one is a load of digital charts on a DVD that can printed out & laminated whereas the other has been specifically designed for handheld and not-as-portable GPS devices?

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Completely different products.

The MM uses scans of admiralty charts, presumably like the old chart navigator system it will change to different scale charts if available when you zoom in and zoom out, but ultimately you only get the detail that is on the printed chart.

Bluechart is vector based - all the data is stored in its right location so as you zoom in and out it is all available (presumably you can turn different elements on and off as appropriate to the scale?). The charting you get is not as pretty as an admiralty chart, but is customisable.

For professional users the admiralty do also make vector chart products, but for leisure the raster charts seem to be more popular.

John N

Post by John N » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm

Can I enquire as to how much people are paying for this and on what medium it's being delivered.
Does £40.00 buy me a disc or is this price for download only. Is the £90.00 option disc only. Do both versions come with whatever is needed to open .mmo files or do I need to get that from another source?

I did speak to Memory Map but the answer left me a little confused.

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:42 pm

My £40 bought a pre-release disc including the full .MM. "European". Software hope that helps

adi2410355

Post by adi2410355 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm

This looks excellent. I think I'll buy this set myself.
I used to print maps from maps.google.com and streetmap, but it left me with scrolling over the area I wanted to print, then I had to glue a number of pages and definitely didn't enjoy it. Ideally software should allow highlighting the area you wish to print and automatically split it into A3 or A4, nicely formatted pages. How does it look with MM?

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:25 pm

adi2410355 wrote:This looks excellent. I think I'll buy this set myself.
I used to print maps from maps.google.com and streetmap, but it left me with scrolling over the area I wanted to print, then I had to glue a number of pages and definitely didn't enjoy it. Ideally software should allow highlighting the area you wish to print and automatically split it into A3 or A4, nicely formatted pages. How does it look with MM?
My slighter older version of MM won't print out to anything larger than A4. when I enquired about it at the time I was told this was due to restrictions imposed by Ordnance Survey so it may still be that way. However, you can easily work round it by dropping the viewing scale in MM to 50%, printing out to a PDF and then printing the PDF to A3.

John N

Post by John N » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:59 pm

e-mailed MEMORY MAP and got a reply from a more knowledgeable person who has confirmed that £40.00 + p&p (total £43.57) will get me a disc inc. software to open .mmo files and lots more useful stuff for overlays etc. It should be in the post tomorrow (01/07/2010).

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:26 pm

I've been using MM marine for last few weeks and generally very pleased.
Haven't yet worked it an easy way to produce an image file from it.
I know you can do a PrtScr and paste screen dump into ant image editor.
You can also print to PDFprinter or get a print2jpg pseudoprinter.
What I'd really like to do would be simply to select part of the map/chart and copy to clipboard.
This feature does not appear to be available (possibly by design!)

John N

Post by John N » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Orkfay, unless that's something technical you are trying to do it's not sounding good for me. I think I'm an analogue person in an increasingly digital world! But if I understand you correctly you want to copy an image or part of an image to transfer to another document. Have you tried ZAPGRAB http://www.zapgrab.net/. It's free, and when activated sits above the toolbar. Just grabs an oblong shaped piece of anything on the screen to paste into something else, such as a word sheet. Make sure the image on screen is the size you want as quality diminishes when the copied image size is changed.

chrism

Post by chrism » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Ian_Montrose wrote:My slighter older version of MM won't print out to anything larger than A4. when I enquired about it at the time I was told this was due to restrictions imposed by Ordnance Survey so it may still be that way. However, you can easily work round it by dropping the viewing scale in MM to 50%, printing out to a PDF and then printing the PDF to A3.
Anquet (which is what I have for OS mapping) also has this restriction - I was told by them that it was down to OS licensing. My printer driver will enlarge from A5 to A3, so it's even easier than that though!

joyjohn

Post by joyjohn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 pm

Lets simplify things you don't need special software it is already on your computer as part of the windows:-

1. bring up memory map view you want in full screen
2. hold down the Alt key and press Prt SCR button (near top right of keyboard)
3. open up Word
4. click on edit and paste

The screen shot is now in a word document. To enlarge it or make changes thenclick on the picture and use the various tools in the picture tool bar. If this does not come up automatically then click on View, Toolbars and picture.
Have two Scorpios !

Hasis

Post by Hasis » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 am

The screen shot is now in a word document. To enlarge it or make changes thenclick on the picture and use the various tools in the picture tool bar. If this does not come up automatically then click on View, Toolbars and picture.
But joyjohn, would I also be correct to add that you need to be very careful when you drag/extend your pasted map around the Word page, in order to avoid c*cking up your ability to take accurate grid bearings?