NGK Explorer backrest advice^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
perryoutdoors

NGK Explorer backrest advice^

Post by perryoutdoors » Fri May 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

Just took delivery of my new explorer HV and been paddling around Mull for a week and would like a little more support from the standard backrest, has anyone encountered the same problem? If so did you find a suitable one to fit?

thanks

geoffm

Re: NGK Explorer backrest advice

Post by geoffm » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 am

What is it with the backrest that you don't like? Does the Explorer have the foam seat or a glass seat? Have you tried using a more upright posture so that you don't need the backrest?

Geoff

MePower

Post by MePower » Sun May 30, 2010 10:41 am

To be honest, the only time i notice the backrest in my boat is when it sometimes gets in the way getting into the cockpit. I`ve come to the conclusion that its primary purpose is to stop the paddlers bum from sliding too far back when pushing on the foot rest. This leads me to believe the problems you are experiencing could be posture related, or not enough warm up/stretching?

GlenR

Post by GlenR » Sun May 30, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi,

I have done the folowing simple fix in several fleets of NDK boats over the years.

The second solution i have done 6 times for people with NDK boats, who found that even with raising the backband the original still wasn't supportive enough.

The first thing you can do to help improve your boat, is to repostion the backrest bolts on the seat by drilling new holes vertically higher up by about 1to 2 inches. Just be careful, if you go to high you will not be able to get the penny washers behind without trimming them down, due to the fibregalss which bonds the seat to the deck.

It is the easiest way to see if you feel an improvement in the support.

The second thing to do is fit another backband. As the original has the strap running along the lower half of the band, which means the top doesn't always make contact with your back when sat in the seat, causing you to feel a lack of support.

For this i have fitted Pyrahna's 'Connect 30' backband and straps, from their whitewater boats.(readily availabe in most kayak shops) but any will do if you like the look and feel. Fitted to the newly positioned holes.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:50 am

Not a very clear photo but the backrest in this kayak is a block of minicell foam shaped to fit against the bulkhead. The side facing the kayakers back is curved.

P.S. Sorry imageshack has turn it on it's side.

(Admin edit to fix the pic!)

rowlandW

Post by rowlandW » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:38 pm

That's me in the pic - I'll try to pm you with a clearer pic. I'm having trouble trying to attach an image to a reply here!

Rowland

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:59 pm

It's a pity perryoutdoors didnt outline the nature of his problem, but if it's lower back pain there's a good chance that will be caused by a lack of sacral support - there's an earlier discussion linked from the Almanac (SEA / Almanac / Equipment) which covers this.

It's only my opinion, based on my personal experience, but those boats where there is a noticable gap between the top of the seat and the bottom of the backrest may be inclined to aggravate any problems arising from a lack of sacral-support. The foam block that Rowland fitted essentially fills the gap. Boats where the b/rest merges into the seat (P&H / later Tiderace as examples) essentially solve the problem, IF that's what's causing it.

Rowland - hi - the forum doesnt let you post pics directly - if you've got somewhere to host your pics then you link to them from within your message here. Again, the Almanac will help - there's a link to a "how to" article on the front page. If you haven't got a host then email it to me at editor@ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk and I'll host it on the UKSKGB server.

Mike.

MikeB

Re: NGK Explorer backrest advice^

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Rowland's pictures - no explanations needed - - he says he doesn't have a decent one of the HV, so these are Anas Acuta and Tiderace Xplore ones. The Anas Acuta (the yellow one) also shows a foam seat.

ExplorerHV

Post by ExplorerHV » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I've got a minicell backrest in my Explorer HV. I bought it online from Kayak Virginia.

Aliwil

Post by Aliwil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 pm

In the Picture of the Anas the Skeg slider is behind the Cockpit ? .. Is this a new boat ? or a custom placement ?..

rowlandW

Post by rowlandW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Custom placement for the original intended purchaser. I got the boat via a resale from Valley.

Aliwil

Post by Aliwil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:31 pm

I Didn't realise they could, was the main reason I have disliked being sat in the cockpit of most Valley boats, the Skeg slider I felt was too Intrusive ..

Ali

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 pm

I fitted an "IR Reggie" backband to my Kodiak, much much nicer than the horrible seat-back that came with the boat.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos