Canna questions?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Owen

Canna questions?^

Post by Owen » Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Just looking at the map of Canna, it looks like there aren't that many places to land. Anyone know if there's anywhere to camp in Canna harbour or across on Sanday?

On the north coast, at the western end of Canna is a place marked "Sgeir nan Sgarbh" is it possible to land/camp there? Anyone been?

Boots

Re: Canna questions?

Post by Boots » Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Many years ago we camped at NG 278 054 but cant remember much about it apart from its a great little island, stopped ther for a few days to explore the island. Quiet a few churchs on the island and one you can scramble up the spire, more like a chimney though.

Boots

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon May 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Google Maps - use the 'satellite' option, the Canna image is sharp enough to tell you where to stick your pegs in.

http://maps.google.co.uk/
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon May 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Hello Owen,

you will love Canna, there are not many places to land on the North coast but it is possible near Sgeir nan Sgarbh. However if you go at this time of year you may get moved on because there are some rare birds breeding nearby that have been a target for egg collectors and I understand there is a rota keeping a 24 hr watch on the location. Plenty of other spots like the one above. There was a good wee licenced restaurant here.

Douglas :o)

steve-m

Post by steve-m » Tue May 11, 2010 7:00 am

As I recall we camped on Sanday island, we did ask someone and that all seemed to be OK. We had a very pleasant meal in the little restaurant, we had to book as it was busy! they had some people in working on the harbour lights.
When we were there the local school had put an interesting presentation about the Island in the Ferry waiting room at the Harbour, it is worth looking to see if it is still there.

Then of course the island is agreat place to paddle around;

Steve-M Shropshire

Hakuna Matata

Post by Hakuna Matata » Tue May 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Owen,

The place that the NTS like you to camp is near the castle that's marked on the map just north of the pier.

It's in an elevated walled area, next to an old farm building. Lovely sandy beach to land on. Handy for the toilets & village. Excellent spot.

Cheers,
Lorna

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue May 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Douglas Wilcox wrote:
Hello Owen,

you will love Canna, there are not many places to land on the North coast but it is possible near Sgeir nan Sgarbh. However if you go at this time of year you may get moved on because there are some rare birds breeding nearby that have been a target for egg collectors and I understand there is a rota keeping a 24 hr watch on the location. Plenty of other spots like the one above. There was a good wee licenced restaurant here.

Douglas :o)
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for the infomation, we wont be going for about six weeks maybe the birds will have fledged by then. Much as I like rabbit stew I don't think I'll be able to get my mate into the restaurant. He likes it very remote, I think that would be a bit to suburban for him. Which is why I was asking about the north coast. If the weather's good we could always spend the night on Oigh-sgeir, we'll see.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 am

Owen wrote: If the weather's good we could always spend the night on Oigh-sgeir, we'll see.
Good luck!
I need another small isles trip, never mind Canna or Oigh-Sgeir (Hyskeir in English!?) we didn't get beyond Eigg!

tpage

Post by tpage » Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am

Owen wrote:...Which is why I was asking about the north coast. If the weather's good we could always spend the night on Oigh-sgeir, we'll see.
Or If the weathers bad you could spend a week or 2 there!
Owen, We camped at the North West corner of the island- there is an extensive raised area which well away from the cliffs and the nesting birds- You will spot a few good places as you paddle around- several have their own beaches. Or if its midgey, then you can move your tent up the raised beach (about 40meters or so) to the nice flat top that covers the Western half of the Island. The views over to the Skye and Rum Cuillin are stunning.

Enjoy, Tony

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu May 13, 2010 10:52 am

tpage wrote:
Owen wrote:...Which is why I was asking about the north coast. If the weather's good we could always spend the night on Oigh-sgeir, we'll see.
Or If the weathers bad you could spend a week or 2 there!
Enjoy, Tony
Yes, I believe that did happen to some one a couple or three years ago, must have been very embarrassing.

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu May 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Lorna (Hakuna Matata) sent me these photo's and asked me to post them here.

URL=http://img3.imageshack.us/i/4120canna20 ... e20be.jpg/]Image[/URL]
The landing beach.

URL=http://img189.imageshack.us/i/4220canna20campsite1.jpg/]Image[/URL]
The campsite.

rhodhebrides

Post by rhodhebrides » Thu May 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Remember that under the Scottish access legislation you have the right to 'wild camp' in most places provided you do so 'responsibly'. Wild camping is usually described as "lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place" and can be carried out anywhere that access rights apply (which is almost everywhere).

Having said that, it would be polite (and keep you friendly with the Canna folk!) to ask consent in any case, but its as well to know your rights.

For more info: http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/d ... PageID=189

Enjoy the trip!

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu May 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi,

Yes I'm fully aware of the Scottish access legislation and equally aware of the law regarding disturbing wild life. My question was more about whether it was physically possible to get ashore and camp than anything else.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu May 13, 2010 6:52 pm

There are quite a few places to camp, but the churchyard is very handy for the toilets and water at the pier head and the cafe, just get your evening meal order in early enough........too late to order; too early to go to bed to escape midges and rain; been there! . Nice soft grass neatly mown.

There are some nice sandy beaches on the S of Canna/Sanday between the basalt ledges with camping behind as well, good if you arrive late from Rum.

SWPaddler

Post by SWPaddler » Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Canna was great and there is a public shower next to the loo in the farm about half a mile from the ferry port. Much appreciated facilty after a week's sea kayaking around the islands.