Thermal undies^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

Thermal undies^

Post by MikeB » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Recommendations please - the requirement is for a two-part set of nice new thermal undies. Specifically, I want the top to have long sleeves and a zip-up collar, not a crew neck.

The bottoms must have a fly arrangement. (Why on earth are so many makers of thermal u/wear not providing this basic necessity?)

Finally, because I'm tall and have a long(ish) back, I'm looking for something long enough to tuck together nicely, and stay tucked.

I've looked a the 4th Incline stuff and it fulfills none of the above, and I'm not paying £140 + for underwear! Suggestions please - -

Mike

Aliwil

Re: Thermal undies

Post by Aliwil » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Have you looked to the Roka bits which Lomo Sell.. Not expensive though even for me (Short and not too hefty) I had to cut the cuffs on the sleeves open as they were tight, the legs are pretty long as well...

Ali

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Mike,

I`ve always gone with silk long johns ( with the all important hole ) & roll neck top with long sleeves. Not seen a silk top with a zipper, but the material stretches well, & best of all it wicks away body heat very well, & without irritation. It`s true to say silk ladders easily, but it`s quite cheap & would recommend you try a set. If that does`nt suit, try M&S, as their micro fibre sets are excellent.

Cheers, Ted.

Canoe-Cowal

Post by Canoe-Cowal » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Alpine Lowe

Helps if the dry suit does not leak too!

J

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 pm

OK - you need to know Mike - He is a cheapskate.

So - here:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/nettools/all ... PerPage=16

We use it and so does Tony.

It has never been online before - but now it is.

H - x

GrahamKing

Post by GrahamKing » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Merino wool has the great virtue of going for days before it starts to smell. Some of the shirts from Icebreaker have been too short, but I've been very pleased with this one.

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Paragonia silkweight, not real silk but very comfortable. Or Reed.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Mike,

If you haven't used it before, Merino wool is a revelation. I use the Smartwool zip neck top and the long-johns. They're comfortable, well designed, control body temperature very well and don't stink after a few days wear. I use the top for mountaineering and for paddling, and the long-johns for paddling and for warm wear when camping/bothying etc or for very cold conditions. The only limitation I've found is that when working very hard, it doesn't wick as quickly as some synthetics. That said, I sweat pretty freely, and it stays warm when damp, and the other advantages well outweigh this.

I really rate Merino wool; it's not cheap, but you really only need one set on a week's expedition.

Rgds

Ian

Erling

Post by Erling » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:25 am

Devold, definitely. Expensive, but second to none.
http://www.devold.com/outdoor/default.aspx?lang=5
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 am

Mike if you really want to save money go to TKMax.

Like the others I use Merino wool in summer but I do not find it warm enough in the winter. Early starts and finishes long after sunset have been a feature of our paddling this winter and I have to say that the combination of fourth element Arctic undersuit and Kokatat drysuit has been superb. I have never overheated and despite our frequent stops I have never chilled. You can't really compare the fourth element stuff with Helly Hansens etc.They might not have a fly (I cant say I have had any problem getting myself out over the top and through the pee zip) but they do have very practical features that generic undergarments lack e.g. the thickness of the material tapers at the ankles so that you don't end up with an over thick layer once you add your socks. This makes it easy to get into even narrow dry suit bootees (the current and excellent Palm dry salopettes seem to have particularly narrow bootees). The ankle and thumb loops also make it easy to don a dry suit, I used to wear Buffalo trousers under my dry suit but what a faff it was trying to stop the ankles riding up to my knees when putting the suit on. The wicking of the Arctic is the best I have ever experienced with any outdoor base layer. My cotton underpants are still dry underneath it, even at the end of a 46km paddle.

Another feature of the arctic suit is that it remains warm even if it gets soaked with sea water, this is an important factor if you wear a two piece and fall in. My brother became severely hypothermic after falling in, in winter, in a two piece, wearing cheap fleece base layers. The cheap fleece quickly soaked up the cold sea water like a sponge and when wet provided next to no insulation.

I have never regretted spending too much on an item. Many times I have regretted buying budget, then mid and not being satisfied with either performance or value for money.

Douglas

Bod

Post by Bod » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 am

I love my merino wool thermals and have bought lots of Icebreakers at good prices from these guys:

http://www.themountainfactor.com/
John B.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 am

I tried various long johns under a dry suit
- Icebreaker merino wool were definitely the best (and they have a fly)

Bards

Post by Bards » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 am

I'm ludicrously stingy on clothing expense, but when Cotswold had a Merino Icebreaker mega-deal on, it was the best base-layer move I ever made... Lidls is great, but you really can live in the Icebreaker kit. I think Cotswold also offer a discount to those ambling in with a borrowed BCU member's card...
Not sure I've ever seen a kayak clothing choice so overwhelmingly endorsed, so it's not just me trying to self-justify my rare foray into the non-budget option after all...!
As I don't wear a drysuit, the only other thing I would recommend is a West thermal rash vest, as they are warm, comfy, not pongy, and retain their properties if they do become wet... not sure if they do longjohns, though...

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am

I too have gone for merino wool base layers, a lot of icebreaker kit that I bought when the pound was strong against the NZ dollar when I was there back in 2002, sadly it's all reaching the end of it's life know, more holes than wool, but it's been used for caving, climbing and paddling.

For colder activities (wet cave trips, swiftwater rescue trainingetc) I found it worked really well when teamed up with powerstretch fleece.

Very warm when wet.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

This is what I now wear. I totally get the point about the crew neck, I roll mine down though I'd rather it not be there at all. I've found one-piece fleeces to be too restrictive, and having two layers on my arms caused additional flexibility problems - hence I now use a sleeveless base layer.

Pants:
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/en/s ... xt=1000025

Socks:
I had been using cotton socks, which get soggy after a few hours. Tried these and they work very nicely:
http://www.bridgedale.com/Products/Prod ... oductID=42

Base Layer:
On top I use a "ColdGear Compression Sleeveless Mock". I've tried a few alternatives and found the sleeveless one had minimal friction with the fleece.
However it looks as though Under Armour are discontinuing it:

(size chart here:
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/i ... 003538-600
)

Fleece - Two parts:
Top : http://www.chillcheater.com/products/sh ... 1&pid=1443

Bottom : http://www.chillcheater.com/products/sh ... 1&pid=1473
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

CONTADOR

Post by CONTADOR » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

The bottoms must have a fly arrangement. (Why on earth are so many makers of thermal u/wear not providing this basic necessity?)
Haha you must wear y-fronts

Think the HH lifa ones have a fly, not that I use it. and the top has zip neck collar. Does the job,.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 pm

CONTADOR wrote:Haha you must wear y-fronts
;-)

I dont feel the need to reveal my choice of under underwear, thanks. Neither do I see why it should be necessary to have to remove half my clothing each time I wish to perform one of the regular needs of life, especially when judicious and careful clothing design will allow me to do so in a discrete manner, while preserving my modesty and not frightening anyone who may be in the immediate vicinity by my troos potentially dropping round my ankles as I'm forced to partially disrobe in order to provide the necessary access!

Given that 49% of us are thoughtfully provided with a convenient appendage which serves to facilitate the disposal of one of the bodys byproducts, I expect clothing manufactureres to accomodate that thoughtful evolutionary design feature in their clothing design features. If ASDA can do it in their briefs, why can't a garment costing 70 times the price also do so??? -oops - too much detail ;- )

And the same is true of the same situation while encased in a Goretex drysuit or w/proof paddling sallys.

I do however thank all contributors who have taken account of the specific requirements mentioned, and will explore further. However, Helen has it right, and yes, I am a "cheapskate". I dont think I spent £150 on my last business suit, let alone on underwear. However, I do beleive firmly in not buying cheap - but I quite like TK Max and managed to buy some Craghoppers and Columbia shirts there for very much less than the same garments on offer in the local outdoor retailer.

Now - if TK's would just get the occasional Kokatat cag on the rails, that wouild be nice. Whether they will ever get any high-end thermals is another matter. I rather suspect I know the answer to that one! Mind you, they did have some Stanley flasks last year, at very attractive prices.

Really!

Mike.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:26 pm

Quick update - many thanks for all suggestions - annoyingly, Icebreaker kit (which is very nice!) is designed for those slightly more althetic than me - - - - as in, they don't do a top in a large enough size. I'm going to try Paramo as an alternative.

Mike.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Craft from Aldi have some great base layers from their motorcycle kit to some currently left from a week or so ago some winter cycling gear, plus it tucks the fat in and makes you look fairly lean as well.
Dave

Rockpool GT

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Cheers Dave - I'll check them out tomorrow - I especially like the bit about possibly becoming sleeker as a result of wearing it! Mike.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Paramo top = lovely.
Paramo bottoms = very poor cut means they sit far too low.

The search continues.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Who'd have thought that getting something as simple as a base layer would be so fraught?

I'm going experimental! Having got fed up looking at websites and traipsing around outdoor shops I've bought some stuff made out of bamboo. Yes, really.

Branded "Nature Bound", it promises Softness (which it is), Warmth, Freshness and Dryness. We will see. It's 5% spandex (nice!), 29% cotton (but I'm assured this is just for strength and won't be cold and clammy) and 66% bamboo. I was able to get my zip neck but not the fly option. Annoyingly. Could someone please explain exactly why base layers don't come with a fly as a matter of course?

It also promises to be Sustainable, Renewable and Biodegradable. Not all at the same time I hope.

Price is reasonable at about £45 for the set. I suppose I jsut have to stay away from Pandas. I'll report on its efficacy once I've tried it.

Mike.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 pm

WOW - can't wait to see you swinging about in the trees!

http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/why_is_ ... etter.html

H - x

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:07 pm

Well Helen, it's black and slinky, so I do look vaguely Ninja like while wearing it. Note the word "vaguely" as most Ninjas seem to be slim and slinky rather than portly and slinky. The lack of a fly does of course mean I can swan around camp wearing my new base layers, while checking the swing potential of any nearby trees. Enough now.

mduncombe

Post by mduncombe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

Just rummaged through my smalls draw and have found that most of my hill walking and mountain biking base layers are polyester based with a few merino wool items but go to a surf shop and surfing rash vests for use under a wetsuit are mainly polypropylene.

Does anyone know why polypropylene is favoured by surfers but shunned by walkers?

I'm wondering if polypropylene will be better when I am expecting or intending to get wet?

At the moment I prefer polyester based base layers when its warm and dry or warm and wet but merino when its cold.

liquidusblue

Post by liquidusblue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Bod wrote:I love my merino wool thermals and have bought lots of Icebreakers at good prices from these guys:

http://www.themountainfactor.com/
I've just got mine from here, great service they ran out of some of the 150s i wanted so 'upgraded' me to 200s for free. Next day service too.

The leggings whilst making me look absolutely rediculous have the all important hole you are after!

So comfortable too! no idea how they will perform in the water yet as im a novice! worked a treat on my MTB though! The environment is about as wet as the sea out there today! infact i might as well have rode my bike in the sea!

tg

Post by tg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Granny said Damart many moons ago and it works.I buy a new set every year. Lifa and Sub Zero I've used and that 'shopping village' favourite Trespass do good and relatively cheap stuff. I am serioust abou Damart though. Sure it gets baggy when wet but under a dry suit and even a wetsuit I find I can peel off the watery layers and slip on my jeans and be warm and dry pretty quickly. I have to confess I don't like the feel of some of the water dispersing plasticcy fabrics.

Edit; I just remembered a while back on Snowdon it had been peeing all day. I was wearing Buffalo, fleece long pants and Rohan Bags, but I was still freezing. I should have been fine. Eventually I removed my damp cotton undies (easy boys) and the difference was immense. So when going commando these days I often go commando.

Tim
"I sink therfore I am".

mark62

Post by mark62 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:44 pm

All I wore underneath my dry trousers and dry cag last year was my Lidl skiing thermals, about a tenner each. No fly on them though. I do live in the Southwest though, so may be a tad warmer.

paddlenut3

Post by paddlenut3 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Does anyone know why polypropylene is favoured by surfers but shunned by walkers?
Possibly low friction slippery stuff which prevents rashes, but isn't cosy.

P'nut

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm

mduncombe wrote:I'm wondering if polypropylene will be better when I am expecting or intending to get wet?
Yes - it's very good for drying out (think opposite to cotton).
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos