Stolen sea kayaks (Halewood, Liverpool)

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Kittka

Stolen sea kayaks (Halewood, Liverpool)

Post by Kittka » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi, I've just had very bad news from our landlord. Someone smashed the door at the barn in Halewood near Liverpool where we stored our seakayaks and the boats are gone. In case you spot any of these three kayaks, could you please let me or the police know?
1) P&H Scorpio - yellow plastic
2) P&H Capella 160 - yellow plastic
3) Nigel Dennis's fiberglass Pilgrim Expedition - grey deck, dark purple rim and white bottom
(all kayaks have Silva deck compass fitted, there were red straps attached to both ends of Scorpio)
Any help is very much appreciated,
Hana & Tomas

Kittka

Re: Stolen sea kayaks (Halewood, Liverpool)

Post by Kittka » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 am

Hi again, here are a few more details about the stolen boats.
The last time we saw them was Wednesday 3rd March late evening (10:45pm???) when we returned them after our club's pool session, locked everything and went away. I wasn't aware of anyone being around at the time but today had the phone call about the smashed door of the barn and the boats gone...
Please let us know if you come across any useful info - or ideally spot the boats somewhere around. Also please feel free to pass these details to anybody else who can help.
Thanks very much in advance.
Hana

1) P&H Scorpio - yellow plastic
technical details at manufacturer's website: http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=20
There was a Welsh Dragon sticker on the deck and reflective square stickers at the ends as well as red straps attached to both the ends, there also was Tomas's gmail address written in waterproof pen in the cockpit and red tape around the small front hatch

2) P&H Capella RM 160 - yellow plastic
http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=7
There were a black bird and Isle of Skye stickers on the front deck and bird footprints stickers at the back, reflective tape on the front sides and back too, grey antislip rubber pads in the cockpit, it has a right hand skeg which is rather unusual, there used to be my gmail address written behind the seat, you could still spot it when closely looking, it was pressed into the black foam but I tried to clean it as I was getting the kayak ready to sell it.

3) Nigel Dennis's fiberglass Pilgrim Expedition - grey deck, dark purple rim and white bottom, new KariTeck skeg
http://seakayakuk.com/index.php/The-Kay ... lgrim.html
I have the manufacturer's number somewhere on a photo, will find it, but it was an ex-demo prototype of this type of boat, there is very few of them around in the UK- so if seen it can be very easily identified, also it has a repaired hole in the front - from the outside it looks as matte spot on the otherwise shiny bottom. It is quite a narrow boat so only smaller people would find it comfortable.

All three have Silva 70P compass fitted.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:11 am

Worth keeping an eye on Ebay
Glasgow Uni CC got almost all of theirs back via a lead on Ebay following theft of 15 kayaks.
Good luck

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 am

You might even post a Wanted on ebay.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Kittka

Post by Kittka » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi - thanks for all the advice and offers to help.
The good news is that Capella has now been found but there is a nearby lake where all other traces disappear and there is no sign of P&h Scorpio and NDK Pilgrim Exp.
We are getting a scuba diver on Saturday to have a look around - the two other kayaks might be sunk in the deep muddy water... But since there is no proof of this at the moment, please keep your eyes and ears open in case someone tries to sell the boats.
Their IDs are as follows: P&H Scorpio XJBFAFAWG808, Pilgrim Expedition: 0547.
Hana

carpyken

Post by carpyken » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:38 am

Hana & Tomas, that is terrible news, I do hope you find them.

Good luck and all the very best

Ken

Kittka

GOOD NEWS!!! Re: Stolen sea kayaks (Halewood, Liverpool)

Post by Kittka » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 pm

GOOD NEWS!!! After all day's effort today we've found and recovered the other two boats!
They were not in the lake but much further downstream on Ditton Brook (by factories in Hale Bank). Probably only the high tides saved the kayaks from being washed onto Mersey, they are muddy and smelly and little bit battered but otherwise no visible damage has been discovered :)))
Thanks again for all your support and expressions of sympathy,
Hana & Tomas

carpyken

Post by carpyken » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 am

Fantastic news, hope you get them all back to pre theft condition in no time.

Ken