Tide direction

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MePower

Tide direction

Post by MePower »

Hi all. Excuse my numptiness, i was wondering how to find out which way the tide will flow for a certain location. In this case Kirkcudbright Bay, Solway Firth. Im away in the caravan over christmas and planning to visit the few islands around the area, but cant find anything on the net about the tide direction. Is this info only available on a chart? I`ve just ordered one by the way. Ta in advance, Vee

keith

Re: Tide direction

Post by keith »

The Admiralty Tidal Stream Atlas is your friend:

http://www.admiraltyleisure.co.uk/np250.asp

MePower

Post by MePower »

Cheers Keith, have ordered one.
Regards, Vee

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell »

It's worth asking around locally. When I was on Seil Island I found a small, very cheap booklet for wildlife watchers, with tidal stream diagrams, on sale in the village shop. It's one of the best resources I have!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Which islands, from where?

Mike.

rec1551

Post by rec1551 »

If youn have an iPhone then the brilliant Navionics chart app for UK and Holland carries this information

MePower

Post by MePower »

Was thinking of Hestan and rough islands. We are caravanning at brighouse bay, so have a nice beach or slipway to go from. I have a nokia 5800 so no apps to do with tides. I usually look for the crab and lobster pot flags to see direction, but they seem few and far between in the solway firth.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Well, in all the years I lived and paddled down there, I really only took account of the tides from the perspective of high / low water because (as you probably know) it dries out doon there and I hate walking!

Douglas will probably have the detail specifics - in truth, the tidal atlas is really only giving the big picture and while it's a "nice to have", neither it nor the chart are really necessary for paddling in the area.

From Brighouse, you've got great options in either direction - turn left and go down to Little Ross / Kircudbright Bay - the only notable things to be aware of are a lack of landings on the way down - it can get seriously bumpy alongside the cliffs - and there's an interesting little race in the Sound between Little Ross and the headland to it's west.

Turn right, and it's a very pretty trip up to the Murray's Isles. Again, the cliffs by Brighouse can offer some challenging conditions - notably if it's blowing from SW to any degree. The good thing is that you'll get an idea of what it's like before you leave Brighouse Bay!

If Heston and Rough are what you want, then it's a bit of a slog from Brighouse. I'd suggest launching from Rockcliffe - the run down the cliffs at Balcary is v.nice although again landings are limited although there are some nice litle beaches below the cliffs at low tide. The river at Rascalley Bay offers a good stop.

Avoid the tempting launch at Balcary Bay unless you can get on and off at high water! Mud, mud, and more mud. The launch from Rockcliffe is onto hard sand, but as the OS Map shows, it's dries out - a long way!

It's a great (and much under-rated) spot. I hope this helps - Mike.

MePower

Post by MePower »

Thats great info Mike, thankyou! I think the first outing should be to Murrays, as its the closest interesting bit, weather being ok. I have scooted around the area in the rib about 6 years ago, but then the only thing you tend to worry about in a rib is a following sea! Again thanks for the info,
Kind regards, Vee

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

The Murray's really are lovely - if you're going up from B/house, then check out the dun / broch at Kirkandrews and the various caves and stacks on the way up.

Well worth the visit.

The gap between Barlocco and the mainland dries. It can be nice and lumpy round the back of the islands if you like that sort of thing. It's Douglas' stomping ground, and there are lots of pics from the area on his website and blog. On ebb, there is a notable seaward flow from the river Fleet which can make things interesting to the NE of the islands if it's blowing on shore.

If you only want to potter around in the area then there's an excellent launch opposite Ardwall - where there's loads of parking on the grass. As with so much of this coast, it dries. Hard sand though.

The series "Coast" featured an aerial shot of that immediate area - the paddlers visible v. briefly in the shot were me and two pals!

Enjoy.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Hello Vee,

Mike has given very good information, particularly not to underestimate the bit of exposed coast between Kirkcudbright Bay and Fleet Bay. You can find lots of detail if you root around here. Have a great trip!

Douglas

MePower

Post by MePower »

Thanks Douglas, just praying for some calmish weather over christmas! Those photos are stunning, just hope the boat doesnt end up living on the car roof the whole week!

MePower

Post by MePower »

Cheers Mike, Kirkandrews looks interesting. Looking to take lots of pics this trip, i always take the camera, but for some reason hardly use it! Will post when done.