Newtron!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
SwamP

Newtron!

Post by SwamP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 am

Having gotten a cracking boat from Mega and the super sound guys at Kern Lodge (their ex-demo) I was a little saddened by the paint job...it was ex-demo so totally understandable, but an aqua dark teal colour with marble spatter just wasn't doing it for me (when you can't surf, you gotta look good somehow)

So Kevin from http://freshfishclothing.wordpress.com/ snatched it off me with free license to do anything he wanted to it, as it couldn't look any worse....was looking a little beaten up when I received it!

Anyway...well worht the money, and just looks brand spanking new!!!

Cheers Kevin!!!!!!! ;o)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

chris-uk

Re: Newtron!

Post by chris-uk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:08 am

That looks great! Is it spray painted or re-gelcoated? Has it added much weight?

Chris

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Wow! Way to go Ryan. What did that cost?

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Both I think Chris (I really don’t know much about this stuff though)....as far as I know he sanded it all down back to almost its original material. The he added several quirky layers…at the moment the picture, from my mobile phone, doesn’t do it justice; but in the flesh it has an underlying aluminium glittery shine that comes through in the sun, then a ‘candy’ coating too, then a gel coating over the top…

I’ll get him to post what he does…..

Because of the crappy, annoying, unmoveable metal foot pegs that are on rails there was some cracking on the shell, but Kev filled these in with some epoxy (I think) prior to painting…

In terms of weight I to think I’ll be heavier that the retail version, will this make a difference? I’m not sure….either way I love it and will get used to how it surfs regardless of anything.

Cost: I don’t know Peter. I bought some t-shirts, hoodies and got my crasher painted at the same time, plus I tipped him a lil bit (but no doubt the work he put into this boat ate in to the tip) so it would be difficult to even approximate the price as he’s also a mate if I’m brutally honest….but he won’t rip you off, of that I am certain!

In March time onwards I’ll be heading south surfing more often with the chick so I’ll be able to courier boats for £10 towards fuel if folk want…

Any tips on thigh grips, back rests, and those annoying foot plates would be much appreciated...I'll do a wee surf section search later....

:o)

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Those "annoying footpegs" are absolutly the best setup you can have, infinately adjustable, but you do need to wash them the off regullarly.

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Hey Malcolm, I had wondered if what I wrote might sound a bit harsh instead of my being a grumpy freshwater git….sorry!

I’m just trying to get the most I can out of this fantastic boat for myself and unfortunately for me that will mean making it as close to a playboat in terms of fittings as a possibly can…

We’ll see how it goes but it’s a project I’ll enjoy and hopefully with some decent surf coming I’ll get to reap the fruits pretty soon!

Really is an awesome boat…I just need to fit all my boats the same so there’s as little cobwebs as possible…. :o)

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Ryan.
No problem, each to their own, just glad your enjoying it, But I do think the footpegs give you the most positive location, and no fear of foam compressing and constantly having to add more over time.
Like the Spray job by the way!!

M

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Now to a certain degree I agree with both of you about the pegs I also disagree with both of you about the pegs. What I find is the best solution (most playboaty feel without filling the whole nose of your boat with foam) is to use the foot pegs but to have them set a few inches further down the boat than where my feet want support and to make a shaped foam block (cut to whatever angle you like your foot rest at) that fills the interim gap and is prevented from being kicked down the boat by a handy metal peg. Best of both worlds as I see it.

Denzil

P.S. The paint job looks sweet dude.

surfkayaks.com

Post by surfkayaks.com » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Indeed, Exactly the setup Robyn uses!!!
M

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:27 pm

For Denzil becasue he likes a laugh..... ;o)

theevilscotsman666

Post by theevilscotsman666 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:54 pm

that looks sweat as :D

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 pm

I do hope you meant "sweet"??

woody

Post by woody » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:10 am

Owwwww! That looks fast but now you're gonna have to pull some sweet mooooooves! Where you surfing? Might be up Lothian way soon if I come and visit the olds.
Woody
Rain rain we want rain

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am

Man, don’t you know who I am….I can pull aaaaaall the moves!

The kick fluck
The Hel-l-I’ve fluffed it
The tricky won’t
The carving lean shore-side thump.
The paddling out headbutt crash backloop
The too steep a take off loop in to dragged to beach.
The failed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th but successful 5th roll…to get knocked over again repeating the cycle once more.
The paddle ripped out hands, drowned rat half hand roll….

Yip I know them all, those talented Northern Irish boys are gonna have to watch out for me at the next worlds…

In reality I was last seen wiggling about in a boat not knowing what to do so I just carved and spun round lots….advice and help welcomed in spades mate!

Happy to paddle any of the East Coast breaks north or south of Pease…if it’s a mission you want then I’d be up for looking at Thurso, but I might be barred from there…

Chris, Denzil, Malcolm…thanks!

mickeyb

Post by mickeyb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:33 am

Spinning out eh,
Fins further back then. :)

Thats an impressive list of moves.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 am

Dude that is one awesome looking boat with one dubious looking pilot ;P

Love the paint job though, those skulls are awesome and that has to be the best looking surf boat I have ever seen!

I hope you get some decent waves to play with it in soon,

Denzil