Poole Harbour route

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Peter Holgate

Poole Harbour route

Post by Peter Holgate »

Hi all.
I have about 4 hour free on Friday and thought I would take a couple of mates to explore some Poole harbour. Starting from Sandbanks could anybody recommend a good plan for islands or bits worth stopping at .... Rather than just going around Brownsea?

We will be in Sea kayaks and fit and able enough.

jcox

Re: Poole Harbour route

Post by jcox »

Peter Holgate wrote:Hi all.
I have about 4 hour free on Friday and thought I would take a couple of mates to explore some Poole harbour. Starting from Sandbanks could anybody recommend a good plan for islands or bits worth stopping at .... Rather than just going around Brownsea?
Not tried it by Kayak yet; done it by foot from near Wareham, but if the weather's good the Arne peninsula is nice because hardly anyone ever goes there. Feels proper remote..
Well the forecast said it would be good.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate »

Arne is a pretty good idea. Quite a way from Sandbanks though. Does anybody know a good starting point in the Warham area is there a public slip way?

Jillybeans

Post by Jillybeans »

You can launch from a slipway to the west of the main bridge in Wareham. Car parking is on the opposite side of the road, think there is a maximum 4 hour parking restriction.

Jill

rec1551

Post by rec1551 »

Wareham has a public slipway on the right of the bridge - there is a canoe/kayak hire place there but the slip is public and free. You can also launch from Redsands which is 500m down the channel and parking/launch is £2 or £4 depending on season (I guess £2 now!)

Paddling from wareham quay to the main harbour is very pleasant but you need the tide with you or its a right slog so if you are planning to leave and return to the quay make sure you time it right. Poole has a pretty complicated tidal set up so use a tide table.

Another good alternative is to leave from Hamworthy - there is a free carpark near the yachtsman pub and launching is easy on the small sandy beach. then you can paddle accross the chanenel and along the arne peninsular. Make sure you land on Long island - the owner loves that!

Graham Bland

Post by Graham Bland »

Hi Peter
Why not launch from Lake Pier (free car park and easy launch) grid ref SY 984905 - then around Arne and all the islands Long / Round (resident seal) / Green / Furzey / Brownsea &/or up to Wareham
Graham

Heather Rainsley

Post by Heather Rainsley »

If you take the road through Wareham towards Stoborough, there is a bridge over the river. There is parking and a quay downstream of the bridge and a good launch spot upstream.

High tide at Wareham on Friday is 12.15pm and low is at 7.45pm.

When I've done this trip, I've always used the ebb to go down to Poole harbour and stopped, pottered or camped somewhere in the harbour before either using the best of the flood to go back up or travelling on to a different egress. The tide can be quite speedy in the river and if your timing means you have to paddle against it, this might eat into your paddling time.

If I were you, and didn't need to start at Sanbanks, on Friday, I'd be tempted to go from Lake Pier in Hamworthy and paddle out to Arne and around Round Island and perhaps some of the other smaller ones, depending on how the time is going.

I am not sure that you are allowed to stop on Round Island any more, but Arne is always gorgeous.

Enjoy
Heather Rainsley

Heather Rainsley

Great minds think alike!
Heather Rainsley

rec1551

Post by rec1551 »

Doh, Round Island not long island

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

If only there were a book with all these answers in it ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Graham Bland

Post by Graham Bland »

Doh, Round Island not long island
You were right the first time, Rec1551 - but you can't land at either http://rollalot.blogspot.com/2009/04/lo ... sland.html
Great minds think alike!
We must have been posting at the same time, Heather :-)

Heather Rainsley

No, the doh is mine. I meant Long island.

Graham, you managed to be much more succinct than I did.
Heather Rainsley

ricknroll

Post by ricknroll »

Only £1.00 for 24 hours of parking all round Sandbanks now, easy launch onto Whitley lake, paddle to Brownsea Castle, Blood Alley lake onto Furzey,
across Ramshorn lake to Long Island, bit of seal spotting if your lucky and back down the north side of Brownsea Island.
Hill point is good for a break as is Arne. Enjoy!

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate »

Thanks for your help everyone. Brilliant as usual.

Mark the books on my Christmas present list.

Graham and Heather, looking on an OS map Round Island and Long Island are one and the same thing - just dependant on how low the tide is (at least that's how it looks on a map)

The tide times in the harbour tomorrow look like they will be helpful to us for a change. With two high tides fairly close together so hopefully we will get to cover some distance.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Peter Holgate wrote:looking on an OS map Round Island and Long Island are one and the same thing - just dependant on how low the tide is
They are joined by a muddy tidal marsh - but are very different in character.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK