Sea kayak trolleys

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jim

Re: Sea kayak trolleys

Post by Jim »

GEOFF S wrote:thanks, I suppose I anticipated that sort of response at that price, will wait for this Lomo thing perhaps.
Douglas - where would the best place be to find out when they might become available ?
Give them a call and ask them!
As far as I know there are still just the 3 of them running the show - Bruce or Mark will definitely know what they are planning

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Hello Geoff, it was Bruce who I was speaking with this afternoon.

Douglas

GEOFF S

Post by GEOFF S »

thanks, will do.

Big Ade

Post by Big Ade »

I get my Elka trolley and wheels through a 24 cm Kayjaksport hatch.
The main modification is to make yourself some bags so the components slide over/past your other gear.
The Elka frame goes in a heavy duty nylon bag about 4 inches wide and just longer than the trolley.
Each wheel goes through vertically and sepeartely in a heavy guage plastic bag in a stuffsack made so both wheels can lie flat in it, but long enough to shove the wheels in sepeaterly without getting the boat all muddy.
I also use old buckles and an old roof rack strap combo to tie around the cockpit rim when using the trolley.
The wheels sit against the bulkhead and the frame sits between my stuffbags.

I did use my towline to tie it on to the boat when in use, but prefer to keep the emergency kit separate from the day to day kit.

I do like the Aussie trolley idea.

kevr

Post by kevr »

Hi all,

Made a trolley last year, me mates got one of the Elka ones and it looked a bit flimsy over rough ground. Thought I'd have a go at design one myself, I got the guys in our engineering department to do a few calcs on the design and it's good for 200Kg (but as Mark stated the kayaks may not be able/designed to take the load where you are applying it). the frame weighs about 1.2Kg not sure about the wheels. I went for the pneumatic large diameter ones as they cope with the rough ground and they add a suspension element to the trolley. The frame fits easily in the hatch and Gill puts the wheels in front of her foot pegs.

A few pics below.

Cheers,

Kev

Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Nice job.
I have seen the photos of Freya's design and have a C-Tug myself.
Following your comment that some kayaks may not take the high loads your trolley is capable of. Might the hull better handle these loads if the supports went under the length of the chines ?. I realise this may make the trolley less universal, and not account easily for rocker etc, but then unless your cradles self align they need to match an individual hull to avoid point loading.
I guess if a boat is heavily loaded one way to help is perhaps to support nearer one end of the hull and accept you carry more weight yourself.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Thats a nice bit of engineering kev.

Spinney

Post by Spinney »

Has anyone tried one of these:
http://www.pull-over.com/pull_over_kaya ... oncept.php

Looks like it would pack up very small, but not much good for rough surfaces or sand.

John N

Post by John N »

I was slightly dismissive of my Seakayakuk expedition trolley in an earlier post but last week I faced getting the boat from Lulworth Cove to the car park on the hill. Took a litte extra time to wedge the boat firmly in the trolley then bust a gut pulling the strap tight. No coming off on the short cobbled section anymore, but still room for improvement methinks.
The C-Tugs the club bought performed O.K. as well. But we had left them in the assembled in the car!

MePower

Post by MePower »

Spinney wrote:Has anyone tried one of these:

Looks like it would pack up very small, but not much good for rough surfaces or sand.
Looks very tippy, as in, not wide enough. I think most of your energy would go into twisting the boats bow to keep the everything upright.

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

Spinney wrote:Has anyone tried one of these:

And if your kayak is loaded, you end up carrying a lot of that weight yourself?

Janet

JezWalts

Post by JezWalts »

Bought a C-Tug recently, it takes a fully packed Sea Kayak easily and I managed to pack it inside my Island Kayaks Expedition on a weeks trip in Scotland, didn't use it much but it was there if I needed it. Bit of a bugger to pack but it goes in.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

janet brown wrote:And if your kayak is loaded, you end up carrying a lot of that weight yourself?
Yes indeed. On my SOT, with the trolley mounted behind the seat, I found myself having to take load out from below the footwells, and transferring it to behind the trolley to balance the load.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos