Sea kayak trolleys

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
rhubarb

Sea kayak trolleys

Post by rhubarb »

My partner and I are looking at getting trolleys for an expedition. We have an Ekla kayak trolley (great for yorkshire beaches at low tide) but the metal frame is rather an awkward shape to fit in what will be a tightly packed boat, also the pneumatic wheels are rather large.

We've looked at the Sea Kayak UK "Expedition Trolley" on the web and wonder if anyone has any experience of using this...

Thanks.

Ruth

Kate D

Re: Sea kayak trolleys

Post by Kate D »

Never used one myself but I was very envious last Sunday when I struggled with my boat on my shoulder and watched Nigel Dennis wheeling his boat down a slipway and across a sandy beach. Certainly looked small and easy to pack. It fits close to the end of the boat so you'd still have to lift a fair weight if the boat is fully packed.
I have an eckla trolley and as you suggest, it is awkward to pack.

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

There was a post on http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk about converting a cheap b and q trolley into one.

link http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... +home+made

Nick
Last edited by Scots_Charles_River on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Lots of folk will pop up and moan about this or that trolley not being up to the job - but the truth which is usually ignored is that none of them are designed to carry a fully loaded kayak over uneven ground. For that matter, your kayak isn't designed to take this kind of strain, either.

They're all fine for unloaded boats on tarmac. Probably the only ones which are good enough for heavy-ish loads are the Ekla 'Open Canoe' trolley (the one with an axle) - but it's too big for packing inside - and the KCS trolley - which is bombproof but absurdly big to pack, amazing unstable in use and too fiddly to construct for quick use.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Freek

Post by Freek »

I've made this one;
http://home.arcor.de/gmaroske/boatcart.html

It's the same idea, Freiya Hoffmeister sold.

more pics;
http://picasaweb.google.nl/zeekayakforum/KayakKar
Last edited by Freek on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John N

Post by John N »

I bought one of these the other month, mainly for when I use the boat on the river and need to portage around locks when the lockie is not on duty. First impressions are that's it's a lot of cash for what it is, but it does suit my purposes reasonably well. You need to be able to wedge the stern of the boat in fairly tight and retain it with decent tension on the strap. If you don't it comes adrift quite easily. The boat will have a good supply of everything I need for a day and maybe a little more but the trolley has come adrift from the boat with just a change in a paved surface. It happens less now that I'm getting the hang of it but I wouldn't want to use it with any real weight in the boat. What it needs is a little wheelie arm on the rear to give the strap some assistance. The wheels are thin and wouldn't be any good on a beach. On the + side it fit's easily into most hatches and has made my river trips a lot easier.
I would have thought a trolley some where between this and the full size offerings would be ideal.
For the record I use it on my Capella RM and have not tried it on anything else yet.

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

Mark R wrote: - and the KCS trolley - which is bombproof but absurdly big to pack, amazing unstable in use and too fiddly to construct for quick use.
Is the KCS trolley still available?
I contacted Mike Thomson's son some time after Mike's death, and although he repled, haven't heard any more. Didn't feel it was worth harassing him, especially as you had posted similar comments to these at the time I was thinking of buying it.

Janet

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

Using a combo of the above but using some white polypipe used for plumbing, it would get the wt right down.

Nick

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

This might seem daft...but could you not bond a tube into the stern of your kayak?
Then all you need to carry are an axle and wheels so the kayak itself is the trolley.
Tony

geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Follow this link and you will see exactly that antbjanne :-)
http://nadgeekayaks.com.au/our-kayaks/n ... llery.html

Geoff

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

Aye,I thought I'd seen various ideas on kayak trolleys including some very clever ideas for transporting them behind pushbikes,effectively making the kayak into a trailer...some ingenious folk out there:)
Tony

Owen

Post by Owen »

I've had this trolley for years, it will take a fully loaded sea kayak single or double, handles most beaches except very deep fine sand. The photo was taken on a 2km rough landrover track which wasn't a problem. I belive Dr Wilcox's party broke some more modern makes on the same track. The only real drawback is it wont fit inside a kayak and is a bit of a nuisance on the back deck. It French made by a firm called Matc and is made for open canoes I think. I've no idea whether they're still made or where you could get one. I brought mine from Derek Hutchinson.

A side view.

Tamar

Post by Tamar »

Never has so much time been spent by so many as on the development of the effective, cheap to build trolley that fits in a kayak. Ever since I was a teenager have dreamt of having / building one, over 30 years later I still have not got one.

I have looked with covetous eyes at golf trolleys, wheelbarrows etc. Personally I think ther to be scope for a drop down skeg that becomes a trolley wheel.

Andybhoy

Post by Andybhoy »

Kari-tek also sell a trolley that looks like it can be transported without a great deal of hassle:

http://www.karitek.co.uk/TrolleyDetails.html

It'd certainly come in handy but quite steep at 95 bangers!

If anyone has ever used this, what do you think?

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Karitek sell trolley bags seen here on a Colonsay beach on the rear deck of a Quest. They take either the Karitek trolley or the KCS trolley with just the wheels removed and stuffed down the side of the assembled body/axle combination. Highly recommended bit of kit. They are particularly good for trips involving ferries with long car decks. Although we paddled out to Colonsay, we got the CalMac ferry out to Port Askaig on Islay first.

Although I have the KCS trolley, Tony and Gavin have the Karitek one, again highly recommended. Tony's Karitek took him over the Tarbert pass on Jura with a fully loaded kayak. The last time we did that, the aluminium tube on his Eckla broke in two.

Douglas

geoffm

Post by geoffm »

Another option is this New Zealand made trolley http://www.paddlingperfection.co.nz/m_foldaroll.php . I have one and although I don't carry it in the boat it could be and is very strong.

Geoff

jcox

Post by jcox »

I made one from a cut down junior golf cart, works a treat. The cart cost me £8 off my favourite auction site. A junior golf cart makes a good "donor vehicle" because the wheels and frame are all much smaller than the adult version. The wheels unscrew from the axle with wing nuts. The one I made wouldn't fit through a 6" hatch, but it folds small enough to sit in the stern load area on my heretical SOT. It could be made "hatchable" by replacing the manufacturers riveted hinges with quick release pins, allowing you to completely dissemble it.

I adapted the design shown here: http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/tr ... rolley.htm
Well the forecast said it would be good.

snapper

Post by snapper »

Mark R wrote: none of them are designed to carry a fully loaded kayak over uneven ground.
This is. It's rated for 120kgs and breaks down into component form.

I've got a pair of them and they've been in use for nearly 3 years.

Manufacturers website: http://www.c-tug.com/

Most large dealers in the UK are able to supply them.
Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL »

snapper wrote:
Mark R wrote: none of them are designed to carry a fully loaded kayak over uneven ground.
This is. It's rated for 120kgs and breaks down into component form.

It says:
LIGHT WEIGHT & EASY TO HANDLE
less than 6kg
It does not look that heavy, or is it really 6 kgs?
(the first weight to be left at home.....?)

JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford »

JB-NL wrote:It does not look that heavy, or is it really 6 kgs?
In this thread , Mark99 weighed one at 4.6 kg.
Not in Oxford any more...

Mark99

Post by Mark99 »

Yes I did. It does break down well, fits into hatches better than you could believe from the picture. I'm sure I saw a promo video somewhere.

rec1551

Post by rec1551 »

I have been using a C-Tug for my big double (treble!) Sit on all summer and it comfortably carries a fully loaded malibu 2 XL plus my two children when they are too lazy to walk! Its real strength is that it builds up and breaks down very quickly and easily- takes me 30 seconds. Just be sure to glue the little stand into position or at least keep an eye on it or it will fall out and be lost for ever! My only other comment would be that the axles could be slightly better designed as they tend to trap sand.

snapper

Post by snapper »

Chatham 17-Scupper Pro-RRRapido
2011 Launches 102

rhubarb

Post by rhubarb »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks. I think now a little time for digestion is called for.

I do think the idea of a watertight tube through the back of the boat and just carrying an axel and wheels is novel and may well have legs - if only I had the time and skills to play around with this.

tpage

Post by tpage »

I would confirm Douglas's comments above. I would rate the Karitech expedition trolley- really made paddling through the Caledonian Canal an enjoyable experience earlier this year. And the rough Tarbert (Jura) portage was a nightmare with the ekla trolley a few years back (which snapped in two)- but was easy when I repeated the portage again this summer with the karitech trolley- very rough hilly path with a fully laden kayak- no problem- and it fits nicely into a specially designed flat deck bag.
Great bit of kit.
Tony

JulesT

Post by JulesT »

IMHO most trolleys are missing an essential extra means of anchoring to the kayak to prevent them being knocked askew over uneven ground and that is a loop of rope over the cockpit rim. Having looked at the market I couldn't find one product that seemed to do everything right so like many others I made my own. Its strong and lightweight and disassembles into easily packable pieces. The only achilles heel right now is that I need to find a stronger 8mm axle. See the following link but scroll to the bottom to see the 'mark 2' version (considerable improvement).
http://www.zen40268.zen.co.uk/seakayaking/Trolley.html
Jules

mick m

Post by mick m »

antbjanne wrote:This might seem daft...but could you not bond a tube into the stern of your kayak?
Then all you need to carry are an axle and wheels so the kayak itself is the trolley.
thats alredy been don hear in australia , googl Nadgee expodition kayaks , I have a set of "Paddel weels' on my expodition kayak , the best thing for extended trips , espeshly solo or up northern Aust wher we get large tidal ranges, will post a photo later today

timax

Post by timax »

Here you go Mick. This is the trolly Mick is talking about. Made by Nadgee Kayaks here in Australia. http://www.nadgeekayaks.com.au/

mick m

Post by mick m »

Thats my Kayak but not my paddel , whos been paddeling my boat ?

MePower

Post by MePower »

Timax, is that guy wearing a leather ra ra skirt? Cos if he is, his thighs are a bit big for it...