Spraydeck leakage

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
rec1551

Spraydeck leakage

Post by rec1551 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 am

Bought my first spraydeck, a YAK Kyu which is a cheap nylon deck recommended by my local canoe shop as easy to remove in a wet exit. used it for the first time yesterday and was suprised by the amount of water that entered my boat during the session. I was practising bracing, sculling support and a couple of bow rescues. is this normal? I realise that the neoprene decks are better sealed but was a bit disappointed by the performance of this nylon deck. The guy in the shop said it would fit any cockpit - mine is a composite sea kayak with a smallish diameter cockpit (80x40) so perhaps the deck is too big?

MikeB

Re: Spraydeck leakage

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:21 am

Perhaps. What's the boat?

How much slack is there when you pull the release strap forward? That deck has an adjustable rim I think - have you tightened it?

Mike.

rec1551

Post by rec1551 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 am

The boat is not well known over here - a Nimbus Zoom from BC, 17.6ft x 55cm Great for learning in! Still at least it has a rudder till I learn how to steer it without.....

I probably didn't tighten the deck as much as I needed to but was worried that the cockpit rim would be too sharp and cut through

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 am

I dont know that boat - but we established previously that the Nimbus boats aren't well known here. At a guess I'd say the generic decks (like the Yak) will all be a little on the large size fro what seems like quite a small cockpit, even tightened up a bit.

In any event, the material is going to ruck up a bit with those decks and there will be water coming in under the edge as a result.

But your priority is a deck which is easy to release. I'd suggest adjusting it to take out the slack - but you still need it to come off when you pull the release strap forward (which you're doing, right? ) One of the problems with composite boats is the relativly sharp edges of the cockpit rim and yes, there is a detrimental effect on s/decks. But only after a lot of use.

Mike

MePower

Post by MePower » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Dont know if this is a similar issue, but i have a yak cockpit cover for when on the car, and that leaks like a siv. Got the boat home and it was full off water. Cover was tight as it could go. The material was soaked through but the coaming was dry. So i thompson water sealed it and now no probs! Stinks a bit though.....

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm

MikeB wrote: One of the problems with composite boats is the relativly sharp edges of the cockpit rim
You can help protect the spraydeck by covering the edge of the cockpit rim with a layer of electrical insulating tape, this also helps prevent the edge chipping and is easy to replace.
The "one size fits all" nylon spraydecks are not very waterproof. I have used one during a pool session on a plastic boat and water pours in round the submerged part of the cockpit during sculling practice. As Mike says, it is all due to the fabric rucking up, and this will be worse on a small cockpit than a big one.