Sea Kayaking Singles

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Sea View

Sea Kayaking Singles

Post by Sea View »

Those of you who're currently single - are you, like me, a bit scared of meeting Mr or Ms Right and finding out they're not into sea kayaking?!!
You'd have to make a hard choice between spending a romantic weekend with your loved one... or going out with your new partner.
On the other hand everything would be so much simpler if they were a paddler. Christmas presents would be a breeze and "their eyes met over a Lomo drybag" is just so much more romantic - isn't it?

So I'll start it it off...
Female, 41, blonde, blue eyes, GSOH (during and immediately before and after kayaking trips).
Enjoys quiet days in calm conditions and exciting trips out in stormy weather.
Keen to practice rough water handling and re-entry and roll (no smutt intended).
Seeks intelligent, kind, honest, attractive male paddling partner with roof bars for friendship and maybe multi-day trips.
:-)

Helen M

Re: Sea Kayaking Singles

Post by Helen M »

OK - you like to live dangerously! On all fronts! Good Luck - see you on the water.

H - x

ps - Where are you based?

pps - I was you 4 years ago.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Top tip - no male sea kayaker can reasonably be considered to be anybody's idea of Mr Right.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Sea View

Post by Sea View »

No - be serious - how can somebody possibly be Mr Right if they're NOT a sea kayaker??

Helen - I'm not too far away from you in the scheme of things - I'll PM you.

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

Would a single surf kayaker do.....or is that a poor substitute:)
On a more serious note...in any of these,shall we say "exciting",interests,I'll bet the male population seriously outnumbers the female one.
In my experience finding single female paddlers,well,lets just say they're very rare...and single surf female paddlers??.....I dont believe in miracles meself;)
Tony

gary bb

Post by gary bb »

While I no exactly were you`re coming from don`t you think it`s going to be hard enough with"intelligent, kind, honest, attractive/man",let alone a paddler as well?
Thats some wish list. I`d consider that South African sprinter on a s.o.t.........
What we need is some sort of system to identify fellow paddlers when out on the pull.
Daffodill worn on the left lapel sea kayker. On the right W.W. Two daffs double kayak.Or a show off.
Not sure how to signify roof racks though.
Or we could just wear our Ocean Paddler t-shirts all the time.

Sea View

Post by Sea View »

Antbjanne - better than your average Jo Bloggs but not quite the same as you'll understand ;-) Having said that I've never tried kayak surfing - could be fun... (before or after a sea trip, of course)

gary bb and antbjanne- is your glass half full? Why aim for second best? If you go for what you really want you might end up with second best anyway, but if you aim lower...

I like your idea of an identification system, Gary, but I'd be more interested in one for use on the water - eg plastic daffodill attached to left side of BA = single, 2 daffodills = single and have roofracks.

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

well,Ive tried sea kayaking,a capella,was good fun but not ideal going out yourself you see:)
Surf kayaking though....that is seriously addictive.....and you can do that yourself...nicer wiv company though:)
Roof bars,yup,got em an a big van
Aye,a secret code for paddlers on the pull.......heh heh
Tony

gary bb

Post by gary bb »

Well I`m having three daffs.
I`ve a Karritek with room for three, and a transporter.
How long do flowers last in salt water?I see a fault in this sceme.

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

Ok,I'll respectfully bow out of this one....I cant compete with a karitek/transporter combo....phwoar!
Ahem,seriously there are various web sites which promise to match hopefulls up with the oppo of their dreams....tis called online dating I think:)
Strangely enough,if you peruse these sites,on a daily basis,like some do,you may notice that the same folk seem to appear on them...again and again...
So,while I agree totally with the original post,a common interest/passion is mucho important,it isn't(unfortunately) quite that simple,despite what the web promises...but we all can live in hope!!
Tony
Tony

Sea View

Post by Sea View »

Hey, antbjanne - it has nothing whatsoever to do with gear! The roofbars thing was just a practical consideration - I don't have a car.

I agree that sharing a hobby doesn't necessarily mean you share anything else but on the other hand wouldn't it be a shame to meet somebody really interesting on the water but just paddle on by?

So I'm suggesting a modification to the daffodil idea as I just can't see it catching on. You know those little carabiners that are soo handy? Clipped on the left hand side of the BA - a green one if you're single and looking for someone of the opposite sex and blue if you're looking for the same sex.

That would be much more subtle and if you met somebody you didn't fancy you could just say - what this? no it was on my boat/drybag/map case and I just put it there so I wouldn't loose it. Or whatever.

Now how about it?

orkfay

Post by orkfay »

We've just had our silver wedding anniversary - so definitely NOT on the pull.
(my wife does paddle although only on calm days)

Have had at least one female (of many) join our club for a year, only to leave on basis that most of the men were taken or "not worth having"! (her words!)
Sea View wrote: So I'm suggesting a modification to the daffodil idea as I just can't see it catching on. You know those little carabiners that are soo handy? Clipped on the left hand side of the BA - a green one if you're single and looking for someone of the opposite sex and blue if you're looking for the same sex.
Now how about it?
PS Just contemplating throwing all my blue (and green) karibiners in bin to avoid any confusion <g>

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

In all seriousness,it's actually quite an interesting topic this.I've always felt that the best way to meet someone is through a shared interest and that's generally why I would join a paddling club or go to paddling events/shows etc...not that there's all that much choice up here.
If I met someone on the water,believe me I would go some way to find out more about 'em,without treading on any one's tootsies of course!!
Re the carabiner idea,aye that might work....could take a wee while to get established though Ms seaview;) and mine are all silver...crikey, I'll have to go an get some bling ones noo!

Anyway,strange this thread doesn't attract more replies.....does that suggest most sea kayakers are happily entwined?....that's a hopefull sign in itself!
Tony

Canoe-Cowal

Post by Canoe-Cowal »

Yip a hobbie can certainly help blossom a relationship. But so does if you live mear one an other and dont rely on being a pen text pal.

Not saying you should broadcast but it may get you a few suiters if there was an area you would look at.

Bets of luck

J

draddogjd

Post by draddogjd »

Having interests in common is good but I also believe it is healthy to have your own interests and hobbies that you can share by talking about etc. My other half hates the sea but thats fine - when I'm out it is my relaxation and relief - we share plenty of other things. It's all about compromise really I guess. It would be a shame to exclude non paddlers as potentials - I mean where would you stop? Would paddle surfers be included? Then you can always exclude on other criteria gingers etc...
Or how about a personals section on the forum here?? :-) (Just stirring!)

CCL

Post by CCL »

Have had at least one female (of many) join our club for a year, only to leave on basis that most of the men were taken or "not worth having"! (her words!)
...clearly not a proper sea kayaker then... ;)

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

I'd think you have to be VERY attached to someone to still get on together in a tent after a week with no access to fresh water! My wife doesn't paddle but I found the perfect solution - I paddle with my daughter - the advantage is your kids can't divorce you!

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Ceegee wrote:I'd think you have to be VERY attached to someone to still get on together in a tent after a week with no access to fresh water! Steve
Hmmm - wet wipes are wonderful inventions - - -

And sea water is a perfectly good washing medium - Mike.

Sea View

Post by Sea View »

Ceegee - That's kind of the point - if you're going to have to share a tent with somebody is it not better at least that's it's someone you would actually choose to snuggle up to?

Canoe-Cowal - I definitely don't want to broadcast and amn't actually looking for suitors - nobody could be a serious suitor (do they still exist anyway) on the basis of a few lighthearted posts on an internet forum. But it's nice to initiate the topic, and if I make a few paddling friends out of this I'll be delighted. If I meet Mr Right I'll be extremely suprised but in a very good way. (ok then - I'm in Scotland - that's all I'm saying :-) )

But enough of this - it's not meant to be all about me - there must be some other people (ladies?) out there willing to put themselves on the line?

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Mark R wrote:Top tip - no male sea kayaker can reasonably be considered to be anybody's idea of Mr Right.
Does the lovely and charming Mrs R share that view Mr R?

Mike.

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne »

there must be some other people (ladies?) out there willing to put themselves on the line?
Well,there is the "paddling partners" section of the forum:)
The main problem I can see is that this forum covers a rather large area and long distance paddling partners could be a bit awkward.
I mean,I'm in Scotland too,but that's a lot of coastline to search......
Tony

cj

Post by cj »

As long as it's not compulsory, women are OK but they are not a serious hobby.

johnb

Post by johnb »

Ceegee wrote:I'd think you have to be VERY attached to someone to still get on together in a tent after a week with no access to fresh water! My wife doesn't paddle but I found the perfect solution - I paddle with my daughter - the advantage is your kids can't divorce you!

Steve
But they do total it up and take how you treated them into account when it comes to dumping you in a care home.

DominiqueS

Sea Kayaking Singles

Post by DominiqueS »

What about a Pintail as a glass slipper?... Here it is - obviously sea kayaks (of the right kind, of course) can be very poetic... and practically efficient...

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThr ... tid=485216
Last edited by DominiqueS on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

johnb wrote: But they do total it up and take how you treated them into account when it comes to dumping you in a care home.
Yup, whenever we tell Alex we're spending his inheritance, he replies that he WILL be choosing the grottiest nursing home possible for us!

Janet

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

johnb wrote:But they do total it up and take how you treated them into account when it comes to dumping you in a care home.
In which case, in true greenland* style, I am probably going to end up abandoned on a ice floe on an outgoing tide.

Steve

*P.S. no offence intended to Inuit culture - based on apocryphal allegations of social behaviour in times of famine.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Aliwil

Post by Aliwil »

antbjanne wrote:Anyway,strange this thread doesn't attract more replies.....does that suggest most sea kayakers are happily entwined?....that's a hopefull sign in itself!
In my case it was the thoughts that someone I knew would see the post and know it was me that posted..

There again what do I have to loose ?...

31 Male with mostly Damp hair and 2 eyes (Possibly Blue ?) Living on the West coast of Scotland near Skye,
Been Sea Kayaking for just over a year and a half.
Have car and Roof Bars.

It would be great to meet a nice Lass with similar interests, that could put up with me...

Ali

Sea View

Post by Sea View »

Thanks for that Dominique! It suggests a level of single-minded obsession beyond even my own :-) but it makes a great and touching story.

Aliwil - welcome and thank you for joining me!

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I don't have a Pintail in my garage - so that's me stuffed then!

I do however know that if one partner has an obsessive interest in something which is not shared by the other, then there is scope for what we may best describe as "difficulties". Not challenges or opportunities - difficulties.

And sea kayaking is one of those interests which could be described as "obsessive", notably given the fact that you don't op out for a couple of hours to do it but quite often spend the entire day doing it. Mind you, it's rather better than an interest in horses!

So, sharing such an interest is quite good. But, it also helps to share a few others too - - - I have plenty of pals I like sharing my sea kayaking with, but don't want to live with. (Sorry folks.)

Anyway - I have a spare set of J cradles on the car. Does that count?

Mike.