Imray on the iPhone

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
AndyC#2

Imray on the iPhone

Post by AndyC#2 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but for those of us who are slaves to technology (that includes me!) and have an iPhone, Imray have some nice little applications available for it. At the moment there's "Marine Rules and Signals" - quite simple but a lot of useful information on buoys, lights, sounds along with the ColRegs and SOLAS distress signals.

I've just had an e-mail through from them announcing a tide planner is available (along with a couple of things more interesting to yachties than us) and that they intend to make charts available in the future. I've checked the Apps Store and there's no sign of the tide planner yet, but maybe I'm just being too keen. I don't remember how much the Rules & Signals app was, but it wasn't much - £3 or £4 I think.

AndyC.

P.S. I've nothing to do with Imray, just passing on info.

JohnML

Re: Imray on the iPhone

Post by JohnML »

If you've not seen the Navionics UK and Holland charts in the app store then check it out, great to have in your pocket :) Considering a waterproof case now..

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 2&p=396355

AndyC#2

Post by AndyC#2 »

jaygee wrote:If you've not seen the Navionics UK and Holland charts in the app store then check it out, great to have in your pocket :) Considering a waterproof case now..

Cheers - I hadn't spotted those, they look pretty good and worth a download at that price. Now if the much-rumoured Apple tablet appears and is like a scaled-up iPhone that would be a pretty nice thing to have - touch-screen A4 or A5 charts on a lightweight tablet computer. I wonder if they'd make a waterproof (and floating!) version....

guy

Post by guy »

There is also an app called "boatie" that offers tides and weather info as well as colregs and marker info

rec1551

Post by rec1551 »

Andy C

The full Imray/Tucabo App is called Marine Tides Planner Plus (4.99) and gives tide information for hundreds of ports going forward till Dec 31st 2009. It also incorporates a few tools and I've been using it all summer. It is a great application in my opinion and the best tide app on the phone. There is also a free version called Marine Tide day planner which just gives you that days tide info - though of course if you change the date on your phone you can access other dates.

I think with WindAlert, Windguru, Marine tides planner and WeatherPro I'm now fully kitted out!

Rob

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk »

Thumbs up from me for the Tucabo Tides App too. It's proved very handy.

AndyC#2

Post by AndyC#2 »

Thanks - I'll check out the Tucabo app.

Andy.

keith

Post by keith »

jaygee wrote:If you've not seen the Navionics UK and Holland charts in the app store then check it out

The Navionics charts on the iPhone have all the chart tidal diamonds as well as current/tidal stream diamonds, much more useful than simple height of tides imo!