What I did on my holiday^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark99

What I did on my holiday^

Post by Mark99 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:26 pm

My lovely children got together with the rest of the family & sent my wife & I to the St Anna archipelago in Sweden. We went with Do The North, who are very nice relaxed people. They collected us from the airport, supplied all the kit & brought the food we'd ordered, & off we went. The area is stunningly beautiful, with hundreds of islands varying in size scattered in a clear, brackish, tide free sea. No tides is weird. Go where you like when you like, park your kayak at the waters edge, it'll stay there. No intertidal zone though, so no rock pools or the creatures that go with them. The rock is beautiful & looks like smooth marble cake. All landings are on this rock, no sand.
Some islands have summer houses, some have small summer villages, one is inhabited. Most are completely empty.
Camping is free, anywhere you like, there is a right to roam. No water though, bring it all. Breakfast pancakes!!
To the east the islands & skerries get fewer. That's the Baltic out there
The highest island is about 25m, most are lower. The water varies from 40m to "I'm stuck!!"
Coming home. Some days we moved, some we stayed. We had October weather, with winds between about f3 & top of f6,all southerly. Temperature around 19'c,one thunder storm. All through August (& usually still) it's 22'c, no wind,blue sky
The view from the camp. We didn't need the mossie repellent once.
Sunset paddle. Day length is same as GB at the moment.
Very empty, very peaceful. I once timed 10minutes between man made sounds. The supplied charts and deck compass are essential, no "keep the cliffs on your right ear" here.
The water is very clear. We never once saw ANY rubbish. No floating polystyrene, no washed up plastic,nothing at all.
We'd never camped out of our kayaks before, & it was wonderful. The whole experience was amongst the best of my life. It would have been nice to have our own kit (my wife really missed her very light paddle), but this works. We're going back in June when there'll be more light. Some of the islands will be closed for bird breeding, but there will be birds. Even now we saw plenty, including white tailed eagles every day!

Ceegee

Re: What I did on my holiday

Post by Ceegee » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Looks fantastic Mark,

we were just on the other side (Aland/Finland) in July. Were you there just now (September)? I reckon June can still be a bit chilly - mid July was super warm (24 deg) and still plenty of daylight (sunset at 23:00, rise @ 4:30). Where exactly were you in the archipelago (map?). Did you go with a group or just rent the kayaks and head off on your own?

Our photos here: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =4&t=54192

Cheers,

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

Mark99

Post by Mark99 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi Steve,we saw your great photos just before we left, got back yesterday. It was just the two of us. They tend to do groups, usually in MASSIVE double kayaks, but they sorted out singles for us. We started from Mon, and were mainly sort of around Missjo.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:38 pm

Looks like a great location, thanks for sharing.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK