PH capella history ?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
corgimas

PH capella history ?^

Post by corgimas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Looking for some info on the capella....a square hatched version just popped up for sale in the states nearby and i was wondering how old it is....the owner wants almost 2008 retail on it...
2 square hatches
makes it pre 2000 yes?????

thoughts?
good winds!
rob

orton1966

Re: PH capella history ?

Post by orton1966 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:05 pm

The square hatch Capella was launched in 96 in single layer plastic, a couple of years later the switch was made to triple layer moulding, although the mould and therefore shape/dimensions remained the same. The new shape three-hatch version was designed just before the Pyranha takeover but launched just after, if memory serves me right that makes it summer 2003. Certainly in the States some stores will have had inventory from deliveries in late 2002 and early 2003 that will have continued to sell through the 2003 season and possibly beyond.

As for the differences: the original has a slightly narrower beam, especially at the waterline, slightly more rocker and again slightly more V in the hull. Whilst to many peoples minds this made the original faster and more responsive, the decision was made to improve initial stability and tracking, hence the changes. The intension being to make it a better novice paddlers boat. Other changes, apart from the switch to two hatches, was the change from a vertical mould split to a horizontal one, this is cosmetically better and makes for more consistent moulding. Then there was the obvious switch to the oval/round kayak-sport hatch covers. Despite obvious assumptions, especially in the early days, there was actually more problems with these leaking than the original square ones!

I hope this helps a little!

corgimas

Post by corgimas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 pm

helps a little Peter? just a little ;)

i remember taking a rolling course in an older Capella in 98....and then i tried a Capella again after a few years and i knew that it was quite different paddling....guess that would be those changes....i dare say i liked the original mold better!!!

i was wondering if there might be any grace of luck about being able to find spares on those hatches?????

thanks!
r

orton1966

Post by orton1966 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:18 pm

As for spares, try P&H directly, they were/are moulded by the same company that moulds the Valley hatches and I beleve P&H might still have some products moulded there. There is no reason for the moulds not to be available and the required production runs are very small so they should still be able to supply them but I would check. If they say yes and you do buy the boat I would consider buying a pair of hatches and storing them for latter use.

corgimas

Re: PH capella history ?^

Post by corgimas » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 pm

that was my thinking.....spares...always good...
r