womens' dry suits^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
rebekka

womens' dry suits^

Post by rebekka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi there

I'm looking for a dry suit for the winter but simply can't go for the top notch pricey kokatats. I tried some cheaper mens versions but find even the small ones generally too big. The seals are too wide, and the torso and especially the feet simply enormous. Having had a look at old posts, one option seems to be the palm element ladies but I just detest the pink, so I was wondering if anyone had had experience with some of the cheaper ladies suits eg typhoon ladies racer hypercurve. Are they worth buying at all?

Cheers
Rebekka

MikeB

Re: womens' dry suits

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Made to measure? Rubberman or DamX - - or Reed - although they term theirs a "paddling suit" - -

rebekka

Post by rebekka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Cheers Mike,

I've got a Reed suit, it's been great to get me started and is just having its' neck refitted at the moment. It works really well if you're just wanting it in case you may need to roll once or twice on a trip, say. I've been wearing it with buffalo stuff underneath in the winter and it's been great for trips. BUT, if you're practicing stuff, it leaks enough to get completely sodden after 2-3 rolls or a swim. It's also very easy to puncture and I am finding I'm now spending a lot of time standing next to people on training nights. I'll try rubberman/dam-x for prices but haven't ever seen one worn so not sure what to expect - from what I've read they seem to be bombproof but rather hot to wear. Horses for courses I guess?

Ta
Rebekka

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Search YvonneB's posts for "Dam". She bought the suit which has lighter fabric on the top half, and was very pleased with it. She put it up for sale when her paddling patterns changed and she didn't have the need for it, but when she was doing swim-type training, she said it always kept her dry.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 pm

My first drysuit was the Typhoon Ladies Racer (I think!). It was pretty cheap around £200 I think and they had a good selection of sizes. I went for the "small relaxed" size as I needed it for the chest but it meant the suit was a little on the short side for me. I am 5'6" which is the maximum height given but I found the legs a little constricting. Other than that, I couldn't fault it. I had it for 18 months and it got a lot of wear, had no tears, you could wear warm stuff under it and its zip never stuck or failed me. I also liked the internal braces. The only reason I sold it on and bought a Palm Element was due to the height issue and once the Palm one dies a death, I wouldl certainly consider Typhoon again. They have a new Typhoon Racer Hypercurve which looks quite interesting but I don't know the price. Worth a look at their website http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk or Google it.
Hope it helps....

rebekka

Post by rebekka » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks May and smallbear,

Nice to hear your positive experiences with these. I may give the racer hypercurve a try for size then!

Cheers
Rebekka

tommfuller

Post by tommfuller » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:52 am

Good deal here: http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_ ... e75bcdb72c

http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=635

My wife has a typhoon suit (not this one) which has been excellent.

Cheers,

Tom.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm

The new peak drysuits with one zip that runs up the inside of one leg and through the crutch and down the other seems to work really well and we have lots in stock at Sea Kayak Oban so you are welcome to come and try. Yes it goes on over the head.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

rebekka

Post by rebekka » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Cheers Tom and swagstaff,
I may be down Oban way in a couple of weeks so may stop by for a size check of the smallest one you've got. For info for anyone else looking, the Typhoon Racer Hypercurve in the ladies version doesn't come with a pee zip as standard, but Typhoon are happy to put one in on request for a reasonable charge.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Re: womens' dry suits^

Post by soundoftheseagull » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:47 pm

If you want something that’s bomb proof has minimal maintenance in fact I was told to store it unfolded in a bin like store, made to measure then see the link below link.
It will not delaminate, ok it hasn’t got the usual logos but it does what it says on the tin unlike many others.
It can come with the deck skirt, front relief zip and its front fastening.
http://www.aquatekdrysuits.co.uk/s200.htm
Dave

Rockpool GT

MikeB

Re: womens' dry suits^

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Ravenspring seem to offer a made to measure service.

Mike