Airbeds....^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Cornholio

Airbeds....^

Post by Cornholio » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent one please? Tesco have a Campingaz one for £16 but it seems to have some weird double locking system which means buying the specific Campingaz pump (£10 plus 4 'D' batteries(£6)), unless of course anyone has one and can shed some light on using a normal foot or 12v car pump ?(Tesco don't have the pump anyway- some fine print on the box led to this!)
The standard Tescos own brand £8 ones are not up to prolonged use, and the Campingaz ones have a 2yr warranty.
Or does anyone have a Vango/Outwell one they can advise on?
Cheers!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Mikebelluk

Re: Airbeds....

Post by Mikebelluk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Do you want a blowup airbed or a self inflating mattress?
Inflatable airbeds are colder than SIM ones and will provide no insulation at all if punctured.
Alpkit do a good range, but I have found Thermarest ones the best and they have a lifetime warranty.
Vango/Outwell etc are OK but a bit heavier, and its worth trying out Decathlon if you can get to one easily.
Exped do a down filled inflatable mattress which is the dogs balls, but expensive.

John N

Post by John N » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:49 pm

COLEMAN ones look pretty good, I've a no. of items of thiers over the years and they seem to last. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-com ... DFDA200936 Not cheap though.

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 pm

I've got a Thermarest for out'n'about but this is for a bit of luxury in the van! The Tesco cheapies have a suggested weight limit of 75kg, I think I passed that weight at 11....! Might just ask them to open one up at the customer services desk to have a look?
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Just looked at the Coleman one John- it's got a "patented double lock" too...does that mean a Coleman pump too?!

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 pm

After many years of camping and looking at the options when sleeping my conclusions are that you sleep on various bed options which replicate a plank of wood or purchase airbeds that eventually let you down generally whilst under canvass/nylon.
Dave

Rockpool GT

John N

Post by John N » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:07 am

Can't say, never used one. Based my view on previous COLEMAN gear we have used. Find it to be reasonable VFM and robust. Looked on COLEMANS site and it does not say anything about a special pump.
Like you though I've got around to looking for a bit of comfort and this is high on my list. My back doesn't bend so easily and I just find my (otherwise very effective) thermarest a little lacking in support.

MrNiceGuy

Post by MrNiceGuy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 am

Go for Gelert Adventure XL 10cm thick self inflating.
http://www.cvcc.org.uk
CuckmereValleyCanoeClub

Balgarvie

Post by Balgarvie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:02 pm

Barry - Smallbear and I both have expeds. You'll get a reasonable price from Tower Ridge in Perth. They're expensive but they happen to be the only way I can sleep in a tent. You're welcome to try the next time we meet.
One thing worth looking out for is thermarest are meant to have a down filled one on the market now, I've not seen it but its meant to have some sort of material that stops it sliding about on a tent floor.

B

Carbon

Post by Carbon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:13 am

Another vote here for exped's, we both have the Downmat 7's, they are expensive, but in my opinion worth it to get a comfortable nights sleep.

smallbear

Post by smallbear » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:10 pm

I can't see past my Exped either. Having 'dodgy' hips and lower back, I used to dread camping as if I ever got off to sleep, I used to wake up barely able to move. However, after lashing out about £90 on an Exped9, I almost look forward to sleepy time in a tent especially with my toasty warm Marmot sleeping bag too. Yes the Exped is a bit dearer but its worth each and every shiny penny in my book - go on, you know you want to!!

gary bb

Post by gary bb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

If it`s for sleeping in a van how about doing what I did.Ikea sell foam matresses from about 20 quid.These can then be cut with a broad knife to fit the contours of the van.
No chance of waking up at 2 in the morning with a flat matress.I`ve trapped every one I had in the tailgate.

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Carbon wrote:Another vote here for exped's, we both have the Downmat 7's, they are expensive, but in my opinion worth it to get a comfortable nights sleep.
A slightly cheaper option is the Synmat, basically a synthetic version of the down mat, not 'quite' as warm, but unless you're sleeping on a glacier, I think you'll stuggle to spot the difference.

gnarlydog

Post by gnarlydog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:17 am

not exactly strictly replying to the OP but since many have mentioned Exped I might as well through a spanner in the works: Thermarest NeoAir.
I have bothered comparing the Downmat, the NeoAir and an other Thermarest (same category of comfort level).
Details on the comparison: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -more.html

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:08 pm

I have a thermorest and a tescos cheapy airbed. Last time I weighed myself I was about the 90kg mark and I didnt burst or deflate the tesco bed.
I would rather sleep on my themorest than the tesco cheapy every time. The tesco airbed was bought for times when camping from the car when space and weight is not a premium and the thermorest was for motorbike / and kayak camping. However the tesco bed is retired to the back of the cupboard and will probably stay there for a long time.

Danny avocet

Post by Danny avocet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi Millets do a copy of the thermarest mat for around £20 (eurohike) cheap and have worked for me no probs nice and warm and no air leaks the last 3 years paddle camping in the beautiful Isle of Man !

regards Danny Northern Ireland UK
It's not a bad day for the weather we are having !

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Some useful comments on the cheaper mats in this earlier discussion.

Mike.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:20 am

I use a Gelert thin airbed which is cheap, compact, quickly blown up without pumps etc, and id is reasonably warm and comfy

MrNiceGuy

Post by MrNiceGuy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Is it a self inflater - If so I have the Adventure XL which is an impressive 10cm thick. Going to use it for the first time this weekend so hope theyre good!
orkfay wrote:I use a Gelert thin airbed which is cheap, compact, quickly blown up without pumps etc, and id is reasonably warm and comfy
http://www.cvcc.org.uk
CuckmereValleyCanoeClub

Cornholio

Re: Airbeds....^

Post by Cornholio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Cheers for the replies, got a Campingaz one from Craigdon in Perth, surprisingly cheaper than even Tesco at £15 and a fitted sheet for £7.50 half price. The valve isn't too hi tech(asked them to open it up before buying it), but it seems that they have designed it so a standard adapter won't grip it properly (foot or electric tried both- so the less persistent would buy their pump!?) but can nevertheless do it ok. The double valve is brilliant though as you can close it and prevent the annoying airloss innevitable with cheaper beds when you remove the pump. It's a huge improvement on the tesco one that's for sure in terms of comfort...