Two days in Arisaig^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ian johnston

Two days in Arisaig^

Post by ian johnston » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:55 am

There was a gap in the unsettled weather last week which coincided with an opportunity to get away, so I went over to Arisaig, leaving home at 5.45am and on the water by mid morning. I put in at the Glenuig slip and headed east back along the shore into the mouth of Loch Ailort, then north across to Loch nan Uamh.

The weather was fine, but a F4 NW'ly was making for hard going, and was increasing to a solid F5 and backing W'ly as I headed along the north shore of the Sound of Arisaig.

Eventually I arrived at my camp site for the night. There have been worse spots!

I pitched up and went to get additional water from a burn a couple of kilometers back along the coast. The wind was still much in evidence. This is in the bay; outside was exciting!

The view from above the site took in Ardnamurchan Point to the south, round through Eigg and Rum, then up to Skye in the north

As evening came, the wind was dropping, with a forecast of light winds on saturday, followed by a SSE'ly gale/severe gale on Sunday. The sunset boded well

Sure enough, the morning dawned pleasantly warm and with just enough breeze to keep away the midgies

There was plenty to explore before I left

I've rarely had such a nice spot to pitch...

I headed to the skerries off Loch na Ceall, where someone has been relocating road signs - the road from the Isles perhaps?!

On the way back south, I stopped by my camp spot for lunch. A guided group arrived a little later. If a day like this doesn't hook them on sea paddling, they have no soul!

An open crossing in very calm conditions brought me to Smirisary point, with another great view

And some nice pebble art - anyone know anything about this?

Soon after, I had a close encounter of the Basking Shark kind. This chap was about 12-14 feet long, so by no means fully grown

There's a video clip of him at http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr29 ... 250109.flv, and the bump in the clip is his tail swishing past as he fed around me.

All in all, a very nice overnight trip!

cheers

Ian

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Two days in Arisaig

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:04 pm

What a great trip Iain, your report is nearly as good as being there.... I wish!

Douglas :o)

JP9

Post by JP9 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:41 am

Great Photos! thanks for sharing them with us.
Jean- Pierre

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:26 pm

Gorgeous.

I'm very jealous of the basking shark encounter. I saw four on my hols last year but none at all this year.

Andrea.

Cameron

Post by Cameron » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 pm

Paddled there last year. Very nice sets of pics.

Cameron

David A

Post by David A » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 am

Fantastic pics.

oldmanriver

Post by oldmanriver » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 pm

I take delivery of my sea kayak the first week in november can't wait now this looks ace.

councildog

Post by councildog » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 pm

ian johnston wrote:There was some nice pebble art - anyone know anything about this?
I Passed the same thing in the center of the River Orchy a few years ago
God Knows how it got there.......Strange but true