Advice please: deck compass for a Rockpool Isel

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
juliasixtyfive

Advice please: deck compass for a Rockpool Isel

Post by juliasixtyfive » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm soon taking delivery of a Rockpool Isel and wondering what compass solution to go for in the absence of a compass recess.
What are the pros and cons of the various options? What solutions have other Rockpool owners been happiest with?
Thanks

Mark-Tozer

Re: Advice please: deck compass for a Rockpool Isel

Post by Mark-Tozer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:18 pm

The Silva 58 Compass will serve you well and costs around £35

Last edited by Mark-Tozer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace The Elements with Greenland Or Bust

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Or Suunto - what I use on my Alaw Bach - similar price

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

tenboats1

Post by tenboats1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:27 pm

I've never realy fancied a bungie fit compass but have the same need of something on my recess-less Tiderace.

I was looking at the type that fit into a bracket (illuminated version available), but the fit didn't seem to be very tight?
The other alternative which is reasonably neat is to fix a compass to the front deck hatch. Any draw backs with this?

TB

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:31 pm

tenboats1 wrote:The other alternative which is reasonably neat is to fix a compass to the front deck hatch. Any draw backs with this?

TB
a) The front hatch will perish at some stage, they seem to go quicker around the screw holes.

b) Lining up the hatch with the compass on with the centre line of the kayak is a bit of a pain.

I started out with a type 85 compass fixed on a hatch but ended up mounting the compass on a square of plastic and bungeeing it to my deck when needed.
Works fine for me.

Editted to add Silva type 85 £50. Type 58 £30

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 pm

tenboats1 wrote: The other alternative which is reasonably neat is to fix a compass to the front deck hatch. Any draw backs with this?

TB
Owen's solution is a neat one - I had a Silva 85 surface mount compass on a square hatch Capella some years ago - the problem was that there is a "memory ring" on it - when the compass was bolted down snugly on the cover, it recessed sufficiently into the rubber to pop the ring off. Which was irritating.

The solution was a disc of aluminium under the compass which gave it just enough clearance to allow the ring to remain in place. I think I also used a larger disc on the underside of the cover to prevent the nuts pulling thro. Owen's concept of using a bit of plastic would serve the same purpose. IIRC I used solid brass hardware as even the stainless steel stuff I had caused magentic interferance.

One benefit of course was being able to remove the compass from the boat when necessary. I've always been worried about the recessed compass on the Quest when I'm involved with any rescue practise - I had a spare hatch cover for the Capella which made the problem go away.

Mike

dwbald

Post by dwbald » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:01 am

tenboats1 wrote:I've never realy fancied a bungie fit compass but have the same need of something on my recess-less Tiderace.

I was looking at the type that fit into a bracket (illuminated version available), but the fit didn't seem to be very tight?
The other alternative which is reasonably neat is to fix a compass to the front deck hatch. Any draw backs with this?

TB
If its the little storage hatch just infront of the cockpit think you might find it would lead to sea sickness it being to close.
If it is the large storage hatch near the bow cant see any problem. I used the Silva 58 on my Tiderace, works really well.
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 pm

tenboats1 wrote:I've never realy fancied a bungie fit compass but have the same need of something on my recess-less Tiderace.

TB
Silva 80UN (80UNE for illuminated)?
This is what I use, the fit isn't very tight on a flat surface (but there are little springy bits to retain it), however when screwed and glued onto the curve of my sea king's foredeck the fit is nice and tight. Also the end of the stalk extends past the end of the bracket, I cannot recall if the hole was already there, or if I added it, but you can easily leash it to you deck lines for added security, or fit a split ring that would stop it sliding t out of the bracket. Obviously on the illuminated version the batteries go in the stalk so there may not be a hole and it may not be possible to make one.

I could add that in probably 7 or 8 years (what, you expect me to remember when I first fitted it?) the 80UN has never moved in it's bracket in some fairly rough conditions. I normally use it to tuck one of the elastics that holds my camera bag over to keep the bag out of punching range when paddling, and even that hasn't forced it aft.

Jim