locking kayak to Karitek?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
bradkarma

locking kayak to Karitek?

Post by bradkarma » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:10 am

Seems there's been a bit of a rash of kayak thefts of late, and it's made me a mite paranoid. I sometimes have to leave my kayak on my karitek overnight, and I don't relish the thought of it not being there in the morning.

Anyone have a good way of securing their boats to a karitek or similar roofrack?

ChrisS

Re: locking kayak to Karitek?

Post by ChrisS » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 am

You could replace the sword pins with long shackle padlocks.

For the boat, you can get an expanding metal bar (kaya-lok) which fits fore and aft across the cockpit. You can also get locking security straps which are supposed to resist cutting. And there are those plastic covered wire cables with a plastic bobble on the end to trap in the car door. You may deter casual opportunistic theft but, as with bicycles, no measures can withstand a determined thief equipped with suitable tools. The best you can do is to make it less easy for them.

The best security is to have a horrible looking boat that nobody else would want.
Last edited by ChrisS on Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 pm

Kaya-Lok. But their URL isn't working. The product was/is made by a small company in Wales. I hope they have not gone out of business.

Kaya-Wales
Address: Ogwen House, Llwyn Bleddyn, Llanllechid, Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 3EF
Tel: + 44(0)1248601500
FAX: + 44(0)1248605394

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm fairly confident that they are no longer either in business, or making the lock - I removed it from the reviews pages for that reason.

If "they" want the boat, they'll take it - all you can do is make it as hard as possible - securing the rack with a long-shackle padlock is a good idea, and certainly a Rack Guard is a good starting point.

A Quest will have an inbuilt security point, but a decent "U bolt" will serve the same purpose albeit with a little risk of having the nuts undone. I fitted one to a Capella and used two nuts on each threaded end - tightened hard against each other they would have found it rather more difficult to undo than using just one. I suppose you could also glass over the nuts to add further security.

If the boat has a f/glass seat then it can also act as a strong point.

Mike

John N

Post by John N » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:51 pm

My THULE rack is locked on te car and then the boat sits in THULE'S 'J' cradles. As per a previous reply all you can do is add a little difficulty. I found a 20' galvanised (plastic coated) cable, looped at both ends, in a Pet Shop (fido needs his walkies when owner is out working). With this length you can place a loop either side of the cockpit and around the roof rack thus stopping it from being slid out one end.
One thing I've thought about recently. A remote control motion alarm, battery operated with horn. One of these could be placed in a boat (tucked under the seat maybe), then a cover placed over the cockpit. Set the alarm with the remote. Might annoy the neighbours but no more so than any other car alarm!
Anybody in (or good at) electrics / electronics know of such a product?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm

John N wrote:My THULE rack is locked on te car --
So's mine - but I rather suspect a screwdriver would break the "lock" in about half a second - -

Regs, Mike

bradkarma

Post by bradkarma » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:05 pm

hadn't thought about using the seat - suppose I could loop a cable through it. That's enough to deter at least casual thieves... as someone above said, 'if they want the boat, they will take it'.

thanks for the suggestions all.