Taking a Stunt Bat to Pembrokeshire coast

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
neilos

Taking a Stunt Bat to Pembrokeshire coast

Post by neilos »

Hi I'm hoping I can get some advice on a trip to the pembrokeshire coast next week.
I was planning to take my Bic Ouassou kayak which is good getting through surf etc. Is it worth also taking my old Pyranha Stunt Bat Kayak, would this get me through breaking surf waves and onto the flatter water or would I get spat off?
I'd also be grateful of any advice on good kayaking spots near to St Davids.
Thanks Neilos

surfkayaks.com

Re: Taking a Stunt Bat to Pembrokeshire coast

Post by surfkayaks.com »

Take the Stunt Bat, leave the Bic at home!!

neilos

Post by neilos »

I was going to possibly take both as I have a young son who sits on the bic. What I'm trying to find out is how the stunt bat will fair in sea water, for instance should it start taking in water will it float or sink? It has two air bags in the rear. I have only used it on rivers before. I have used the bic on the coast around the Gower, it's great for getting in and out of the surf but hard work paddling out from the shore.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks Neilos

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Take the Stunt Bat.
In the late 80s/early 90s my Club had an annual trip to St Davids, lots of Stunt Bats, Dancers and other what would now be considered "old skool" plastic was used for surfing and trips to Ramsay Island and the Bitches.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Thanks for the information - I feel better about strapping it onto my already un aerodynamic campervan and slowly driving across from the waterless midlands. I love the idea of paddling over to Ramsey Island. Can I ask approximate time for the paddle and the best place to launch and land?
Neilos

neilos

Post by neilos »

After checking out the information on Ramsey Island and The Bitches I think I'll stick to a more gentle paddle close to the shore.
Neilos

Chaos

Post by Chaos »

hi there

If i was you i'd take the stunt bat, as well as the surf the bitches (ramsey island) there are a few gems of rivers dotted around, up two around grade 3/4, if you check this sight i'm sure your'll find them but be aware it takes quite a lot of rain to make them worth while. if all else fails there is always rock sliding at newgale beach or the caves to check out from lower town fishguard or aberbach (both have minimal tide) But check.

neilos

Post by neilos »

I took both Kayaks in the end, I took my lad out on the Bic and had some paddles by myself in the stunt bat - I'm really glad I took it now. Thanks for persuading me to do so. I found a really good campsite at Caerfai Bay. The place is a real gem, gorgeous views out onto the Pembrokeshire coast, very friendly and helpful staff and really nice facilities. I carried my kayak down to the bay in about 10 minutes. I could have stayed for two weeks.
Anyone off to Pembrokeshire should give this site a try as it is really nice.
see link below
Neilos

http://www.caerfaibay.co.uk/