Rescuing a double^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Anders

Rescuing a double^

Post by Anders » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 am

I just realised I will be paddling in the company of a double this summer. However I've never trained any assisted rescues of a double. Will I still be able lift the bow of the double in order to empty out the water? With a single I prefer the rescue where the victim climbs up on his rear deck and then down into his cockpit while the rescuer stabilizes the victims kayak. This rescue seems a bit awkward with a double though, especially for the bow paddler. I would appreciate it if any of you would share their experience in this area. All suggestions, descriptions, thoughts or links are welcome.

Thanks!
//Anders

Rdscott

Re: Rescuing a double

Post by Rdscott » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 am

I'm not sure how most do it but i have seen it done by the methods below

1. tip boat on to side, to break water seal on cock pits, thus allowing water out
2. Padlers using support of paddles and with assistance or not holding the boat in its side climb into the boat
3. paddlers and assistance roll boat up right
4. Using hand pump or bildge pomp empty the rest of the water.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Anders wrote:I just realised I will be paddling in the company of a double this summer. However I've never trained any assisted rescues of a double. Will I still be able lift the bow of the double in order to empty out the water?
Probably going to be significatly less easy owing to the overall load a double is likley to be carrying, and the relativly greater weight of the thing anyway. I expect it would help to have the folk in the water help by pushing down the stern!

From my memories of my Aleut II, when it was fully loaded, it would have been a significant effort to get the bow raised enough to spill water from the cockpits.
With a single I prefer the rescue where the victim climbs up on his rear deck and then down into his cockpit while the rescuer stabilizes the victims kayak. This rescue seems a bit awkward with a double though, especially for the bow paddler. I would appreciate it if any of you would share their experience in this area. All suggestions, descriptions, thoughts or links are welcome.

Thanks!
//Anders
Hehe - that's brought back some memories! It's a good way to do it I'd think. I'm assuming you're talking about the "heel hook" method - the principles should work just fine even with a double. What I can tell you doesn't work so well is for a double to be rescuing a single - the poor old bow paddler ends up hanging at 45 degs into thin air, while the stern paddler drapes himself over the boat being rescued.

(As Helen M will no doubt confirm - - - - - at least that's the case when Dave was trying to help me back into my boat one day a couple of years back. The problem was the relative width of their big Feathercraft)

Helen and Dave have practised using the rescue-sponson kit avaialble for their Feathercraft and apparantly that gives enough stability for Dave to get himself into the rear cockpit and for Helen to then climb back into the front.

Douglas W has some experience of paddling with an Aleut II and maybe they've practised rescue? I'd certainly say its important to have a pump for each cockpit if possible.

Mike.

Owen

Post by Owen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 pm

A double full of water would be very heavy, I wouldn't try lifting one. The rolling the boat over as you hang under the bow with your kayak on its side method might be worth a try. This uses the buoyancy of your kayak to rise up the bow of the other kayak; not sure whether it would work on a double though.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm

We have spent many happy hours practicing rescues in the Aleut Sea II. We found it is too heavy to lift the bow out of the water to empty even the front cockpit.

We found self rescue to be very effective. To do this we use a paddle float and two pumps. We use a self contained battery powered waterbuster. With both out, the kayak paddlers make their way to either side of the kayak. One stabilises it by hanging on, the other climbs in by hooking a leg into a cockpit straightening the leg and getting onto the deck behind the cockpit face down then twisting round. Spray deck on and set the electric pump going with hose out side of spraydeck. Put paddle float on and use it to brace on the same side as partner in water while he/she climbs in and then pumps out. Alternatively single kayak can raft up alongside and provide support while the two paddlers get in, one after the other. The single kayaker should support the double near where the first person climbs in then move down the double to the other cockpit for the 2nd person.

The Aleut Sea II is a great kayak, we happily take it out in quite bumpy conditions. We call ours HMS Dreadnought.

Douglas

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Having spent some time rescuing doubles - all plastic and loaded I might add (so possibly heavier than composite) I think the key is turning the boat back over quickly whilst considering your safety.

I would definately not recommend the following:

'1. tip boat on to side, to break water seal on cock pits, thus allowing water out'

I think this will have the opposite effect and fill the boat up!

Get one of the paddlers to go to the front of the kayak and gently try and lift it a bit, you as the rescuer come to the side between the cockpits or behind the rear cockpit and reach across and grab the deck line over the up turned hull. Quickly flip the kayak by pulling up on the deckline and pushing down on the hull nearest you whilst the paddler helps from the bow. This should ensure not too much water enters the cockpit or pits - the key to a successful rescue because empetying a double can take a long time if there is lots of water in it. Then get the back person to get in from the opposite side by swimming up onto the back deck like getting onto a windsurfer - belly button to the back of the cockpit head facing the rear of the kayak whilst kicking the feet like in a front crawl. Then spin and place legs in cockpit and roll over into seat keeping weight low. Then do the same with the front person once you have moved back out of the way.

If it is nice and warm let them try and get in themselves after you have helped flip the kayak by being on opposite sides and one getting in at a time, once first person is in then they brace away whilst front then gets in - get your camera ready!

Best advice would be to tell you all to go practice in a safe place first then develop that skill in a progressive manner in more difficult situations!!!

Have fun,

Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Douglas Wilcox

Rescuing a double: it works!

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 pm

This has proved to be the proverbial prophetic post! I nearly said "it's just about impossible to capsize a double like the Aleut Sea II"! Well I would have been wrong!

I was working yesterday but David and Phil took HMS Dreadnought out on the Clyde from Ayr in a fresh 5 to 6 onshore wind with breaking seas. To cut a long story short, they went for a little swim. Using the technique, outlined above, they self rescued and had the boat pumped dry in no time. As they both had drysuits they continued on their way as if nothing had happened. I think it just shows the value of practising (in realistic conditions).

Douglas

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 am

Owen wrote:A double full of water would be very heavy, I wouldn't try lifting one. The rolling the boat over as you hang under the bow with your kayak on its side method might be worth a try. This uses the buoyancy of your kayak to rise up the bow of the other kayak; not sure whether it would work on a double though.
This works a treat on a couple of very heavy doubles we have had to rescue in instruction sessions, including one that was fully loaded for an expedition trial in reasonable seas - no strain, just a good crunch recovery required from the capsizing rescuer.