Recommend a double sea kayak?^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
banzer

Recommend a double sea kayak?^

Post by banzer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Are they all plastic or do you get composite ones? Or am I better keeping my single and hiring another single for the lady when we want a Scottish Islands weekend? Thanks for any suggestions.
P.S. http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 10&t=48072
Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

MikeB

Re: Recommend a double sea kayak?

Post by MikeB » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Lots of composite choice - the biggest and best being (imho) the big Valley AleutII - stable, very comfortable, fast, and tons of room for all those little luxuries.

Ideal for taking out a novice - or a very fast expedition craft for two strong paddlers.

Mind you, forget about moving the thing on your own off the water if it's loaded - and even unloaded it can be a struggle!

Mike.

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:20 pm

MikeB wrote:.... best being (imho) the big Valley AleutII - stable, very comfortable, fast, and tons of room for all those little luxuries.

Ideal for taking out a novice - or a very fast expedition craft for two strong paddlers.

Mind you, forget about moving the thing on your own off the water if it's loaded - and even unloaded it can be a struggle!

Mike.
Hooked me! Mike introduced me to sea kayaking in this boat.

H - x

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Composites are not cheap, but the plastic doubles go well. A friend of mine has a prijon excursion (not especially sea kayak shaped but suitablly specced) which looks fat and slow but is much faster than a single. They are relatively inexpensive to start with and second hand even more so - do make sure you get one with a rudder, they need it to hold a straight line and get that speed up, my mates didn't have a rudder but we made a skeg for it and virtually doubled the speed they could paddle it. I'm sure there are loads of others out there but for introducing people and occasional use I reckon a cheap plastic double is more sensible than blowing 2.5k on an Aluet II but if you want to cover some serious miles on your own or with other doubles (singles won't keep up) the Aluet II does seem to be the favourite.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:12 pm

My wife and I have two Wilderness Systems North Stars, one in the USA and one in the U.K. We have composite singles (Explorer LV and Nordkapp HM), but enjoy the plastic double for it's ability to take punishment from being dragged up beaches (Even a composite double would be too heavy for us to carry) It paddles happily for hours at 4 mph, and has lots of rocker plus a rudder, which gives manouverablity with control. It paddles beautifully, even with it's 29 inch beam. As the hull narrows below the gunwhale, the actual waterline beam is less. We have used it for overnight camping on islands in the Gulf of Mexico. The centre compartment is a grand place for loads of drinking water, plus a tent.The disadvantages are that at 18 ft 6" it is just too short for a 4th bulhead to make the centre compartment watertight, it's heavy at 94 pounds, and above 90 degrees (an issue in the Gulf of Mexico, where we paddle), it will lose rigidity on top of a vehicle and bend in the middle. Transporting doubles is a challenge, but we use a Thule Hullavator in the U.K and a monster pickup with a winch in the USA. I reckon a trailer is a good solution, but I can't easily get one into our land. I paid 1100 pounds in the U.K and about 700 pounds ($1100) in the USA as an end of season deal, about 6 years ago. They were both new, from dealers. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/northstar
Nick.

Chris Denehy

Post by Chris Denehy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm

North Shore Calypso 2. Great boat for expeditions and day tripping. Not as big as the Valley Aluet, (which is really big), but more than enough space for week long trips. We often use one or two on our shorter camping trips and occasionally use one for our 10 day trips down to Mingulay, they work a treat. If you are ever over this way come and take one for a spin.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

When I last checked the North Shore website it said that the Calypso2 hull had been completely redesigned. We tried out the earlier version and we just couldn't "get it to go". ( Subjective, but relevant to us). The hull resistance seemed excessive for the speed we achieved. I hope that has changed with the new version, as we had originally planned on buying a Calypso2 (such a good looking craft). We eventually bought the North Stars after test paddles.
Nick.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Chris Denehy wrote:North Shore Calypso 2. Great boat for expeditions and day tripping. We often use one or two and occasionally use one for our 10 day trips down to Mingulay
I agree Chris the North Shore Calipso 2 is a great boat. You must be getting slow though as it shouldn't take you ten days, ok 5 to get to Mingulay - do you want to borrow my GPS?

Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Chris Denehy

Post by Chris Denehy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Ollie
You sound like a man who drinks all his beer in one gulp and wonders what's next!
A trip down to Mingulay is like the finest whisky, best taken in wee sips and every moment savoured.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Chris,

You're just lucky we didn't get onto the Whisky!!

Ollie,

I may just sail over to see you at some point this summer - will be looking for a free shower?
Developing Desire for Adventure!

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:10 pm

The Point 65 Double Shot is excellent. Very manoeuverable and relatively light. Rent one from Sea Kayak Oban or just come and demo. Due in April 13th.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG