Valley Qajariaq, advice needed^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
islanders66

Valley Qajariaq, advice needed^

Post by islanders66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 pm

I was unsuccessful with a search for a Q boats.

I have an opportunity purchase and used Q-Boat (Qajariaq) 2005 or 2006 and was wondering if anyone with some experience with it could help inform me.

I'm (1.82 m) and about (14.2 stone?) ;)

Would this Q boat be a good all around kayak? I'll be kayaking more with club paddles that will include Atlantic Ocean, tidal rivers, etc.

My Capella 169 doen't do well with quatering seas. I was out last weekend and the longer kayaks moved straight along wiht the waves striking from the rear side, and my Capella was being forced sideways.

How does the Q boat track? I realize some skeg will be necessary, but would like it to track well with full skeg deployed.

The deck on this one 2006 seems higher than the new ones. There seems to be a lot of rocker. Has the design changed from 2006?

This was an early Q boat, one of the first in the US. Are they still the same or are the early ones something to avoid?

Is the only draw back the high deck? As long as the kayak behaves well in challenging conditions the extra space might be ok. Not ideal for rolling but maybe something I can work with.

Any insights on the characteristics of this boat would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by islanders66 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceegee

Re: Valley Qajariaq, advice needed

Post by Ceegee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

Surprised you couldn't find info on the Q-boat - see the VCP site here: http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/qboat.htm
I've not paddled one, but my understanding is that it is a larger, multi-day alternative to the Anas (see recent thread on same) - as such it's the VCP alternative to SKUK's Greenlander & GreenlanderPro.

The main issues will be transitioning to a hard-chine Greenland-style boat and a narrower beam (1" wider and 1-1/2" higher than the Anas, but almost identical dimensions to the round-hulled Nordkapp) - At 13" for the present design I don't see it as a particularly "high" boat - what height is the one that you are considering?

Basically it is the same height, a foot longer and an inch narrower than your Capella. I'd say the main thing is going to be the different "feel" of a hard-chine boat which I'll admit takes a little getting used to. That said, there are enough Greenlander, Seaking, Anas, SOF fans out there, myself included.

Can't you take it out for a decent test under reasonably interesting conditions. IMO that would be the best.

Steve
Cheers,
Steve C. G.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Islander, you will find eight reviews by users here:
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=1521
Nick.

islanders66

Post by islanders66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes, I already read the reviews at P-Net and the Valley website.

I was hoping someone with some experience in this Q boat could address some of the concerns I mentioned.

I was concerned about the clipper bow. It might want to dig in?

thanks again

islanders66

Post by islanders66 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Ceegee wrote:Surprised you couldn't find info on the Q-boat - see the VCP site here: http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/qboat.htm
I've not paddled one, but my understanding is that it is a larger, multi-day alternative to the Anas (see recent thread on same) - as such it's the VCP alternative to SKUK's Greenlander & GreenlanderPro.

The main issues will be transitioning to a hard-chine Greenland-style boat and a narrower beam (1" wider and 1-1/2" higher than the Anas, but almost identical dimensions to the round-hulled Nordkapp) - At 13" for the present design I don't see it as a particularly "high" boat - what height is the one that you are considering?

Basically it is the same height, a foot longer and an inch narrower than your Capella. I'd say the main thing is going to be the different "feel" of a hard-chine boat which I'll admit takes a little getting used to. That said, there are enough Greenlander, Seaking, Anas, SOF fans out there, myself included.

Can't you take it out for a decent test under reasonably interesting conditions. IMO that would be the best.

Steve
The seller lives at least 100 miles away. The closest Valley dealer is in Georgia and they are sold out until late Spring.

So, it will be difficult to test it out properly.

I think I'll go for it as long as it behaves in challenging conditions.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Sorry, not had a chance to try the Q-boat (Richard Cree offered to let me try one but I never got round to following up, see if he responds to PM on here or someone has his contact details), but I paddle a sea king which I believe is a similarly sized hard chine design. Of course similarly sized does not equate to similar handling, but the general characteristics of all chined boats tends to be that they run well without a skeg because the chines grip. It does very much depend on how you are trimmed and how much windage you have (and where) but often when I load the sea king badly I can still make fast progress in quartering conditions because I can surf even relatively small waves very fast in slightly the wrong direction, and then do a short dogleg back beam on to the sea to line up for another surfing run - sometimes I can do this and go faster over the ground than people going direct in a round boat with a skeg, sometimes I paddle with Geoff or Phil or Glen or Keith (or all of them) and get left behind in any direction....

I seem to recall that Richard told me I should try the Q-boat because it is similar but better and a bit roomier than my sea king. Speaking of which, that old sieve could do with some patching before I head out again.

Jim