Mark R's summer Juant around Scotland^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
mikeybaby

Mark R's summer Juant around Scotland^

Post by mikeybaby » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 pm

I was wondering whether anyone could help me identify the tent Mark was using for his summer trip around Scotland. I'm in the market for a replacement and was under the impression Tunnel tents in general flap around in strong winds. However Marks comments about been holed up during strong winds may make me change my mind.

I did see a wild country/terra nova tent a on a campsite once which was a tunnel design but was held with up with a semi geo-disic pole arrangement. I wish I knew the name of this tent. All I can remember was it was Turquoise. Any clues?

Owen

Re: Mark R's summer Juant around Scotland

Post by Owen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:21 pm

The Terra nova/wild country tent was most likely a Quasar or a variation of one.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Typ ... d_Mountain

Take your pick; they'll cost you your life savings.

ol

Post by ol » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Have a look at this old thread. I got a Nemo Gogo bivi-tent for a trip abroad and it is blinkin marvelous! I have used it a few times since too. Very small, very light, very much better than a bivi...

Skerry Packer

Post by Skerry Packer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:59 pm

I have a couple of tents about to go on ebay, Vango Force 10 Assault and Vango Hydra 250 both used once only if interested.
Gerry
Per Nostra Opera

Mark R

Re: Mark R's summer Jaunt around Scotland

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:39 pm

It was a Force Ten tunnel tent - don't think you can get them any more, although there are plenty of decent tunnel tents out there (e.g. Hilleberg make one).

Brilliant kind of tent for a long trip - fast to pitch (slide three poles in, then you only need four pegs to achieve a turgid erection); I would then sling all my bags into the huge porch and strip off there, with a kettle going as well. Only when dry and gear-sorted would I open the main tent and move myself and sleeping gear into it - keeping sand, damp and midges out. It's a (narrow) two person tent, but I liked the extra space - I have gone crazy living for extended periods in a one-person tent before now.

HOWEVER - in the picture below it's erected on a sand dune in strong offshore winds ... with normal aluminium pegs being useless in soft sand, I had to attach the guys to buried rocks and these did inevitably slip a bit - you can see that the tent is very flaccid.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:55 pm

I have been using a Hilleberg nammatj 2 for several years. Last summer it survived winds well in excess of 22m/s - side on, not the most comfortable & I replaced the poles at the end of the trip.

I use a Saivo in the winter if not paddling alone, it is the most bomb-proof tent I have erver used, including a quasar...

I would like a Staika for solo winter use, but do I really need another tent......:-)

Mike

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:22 pm

MarkR>
you can see that the tent is very flaccid.
Unlike the priapic Am Buachaille...

I use a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT it is very well made but light for its size. It is a three hoop 3 person tunnel with a huge vestibule and it has stood up firmly to many wet and windy nights.

For camping on sand I use these sand stakes which remain suitably stiff all night long.

Douglas

geordiekez

Post by geordiekez » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Another vote for the hilleberg range; I've used both the nallo 2gt and the tarra; the tarra being the semi geodesic of the two, and has the stronger kerlon 1800 face fabric.
Though I'm fairly biased as I work in the gear trade and take any given opportunity to test (well, trash!) gear. If I can supply any useful hilleberg etc., info drop me a line.

Cheers, Kez
R.I.P ucsm remembers.

Barnacle Bill

Post by Barnacle Bill » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Skerry Packer wrote:I have a couple of tents about to go on ebay, Vango Force 10 Assault and Vango Hydra 250 both used once only if interested.
Gerry
you have pm
Barbara Browning

Little Joe

Post by Little Joe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 pm

to achieve a turgid erection
remain suitably stiff all night long
I knew there was a reason why I don't frequent this part of the site too often... :-)

mikeybaby

Post by mikeybaby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am

Thank you Mark and others.

The wallet will be opened to release the moths and replace the cheap millets tent which has lasted well but not up to the rigids of a british winter camp.

With reference to the tent I mentioned by Terra Nova/wild country it was not a quasar as that was definiately a geodisic tent. The one I remember was definately a 2 person style tunnel tent, but was given more strenght by two of the 3 poles cross each other twice (once on each side wall).

Jim

Re: Mark R's summer Jaunt around Scotland

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 am

Mark R wrote:It was a Force Ten tunnel tent - don't think you can get them any more[/img]
I haven't checked the force 10 website for ages and never really noticed before, but Mark's tent looks like mine (Vango Spirit 200+), so I would conclude that it is the Force 10 Serac 200+.
Vango and Force 10 are now separate brands owned by a bigger company, some of the designs, like these, can be seen in both ranges with different price tags. The difference is due to the materials used, the F10 fabric is rated for a higher static head (it's more waterproof) and the poles are lighter and possibly tougher. The tents have the Tension Band System (TBS) that Vango first rolled out in the original Hurricane about 20 years ago(or more?) with which you can brace the hoops if it's windy. I recall borrowing a Hurricane many years ago to go hillwalking in Wales and camping in a serious blow up at Crug Hywel. I had a bizarre dream and woke up in the morning to find that the wind had changed direction and flattened my companions' tent which had been repitched downwind of the one I was happily sleeping in. Of course by the time I could afford a Hurricane they weren't being made, and then a few years ago I noticed that Vango had brought the design back with a new name (Spirit/Serac) and instead of the alpha and beta models they were now 100, 200 and 300 with a 200+ version with an extra hoop and a big porch (fewer versions in the F10 range, it's more focussed). Obviously some things have changed, Vango use the TBS on a lot of their more serious tents now, the fabrics are quite different to the originals, and whilst you can still pitch inner and outer together they are no longer zipped into each other like the originals.

Any tips?

Well I bust the rear pole of mine in a bit of a blow on Skye last Easter and had a bit of trouble getting a replacement (Vango aftercare is not what it used to be, they refer you to a third party who don't seem to be that interested in actually taking your order and have a website which doesn't list half of what they claim to be able to supply), however, I reckon it's my own fault. I put the tent up damp from the previous day's camp and forgot to slacken off the straps that tension the fabric, it dried quite quickly in the wind and as the fabric shrank I think it overloaded the pole and snapped it. My brother then broke 2 poles in a similar tent drying it out in his flat while he was at work. So my tip is that these tents are great in the wind, but take care in the wet and make sure you slacken everything off while they are drying out.

geordiekez

Post by geordiekez » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:37 am

The terra nova mentioned wasn't the trisar was it? I can remember that being three poles, but not sure if it had tunnel elements.
Cheers, kez
R.I.P ucsm remembers.

mikeybaby

Post by mikeybaby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm

The terra nova mentioned wasn't the trisar was it? I can remember that being three poles, but not sure if it had tunnel elements.
Cheers, kez
I've done some digging the tent in question was the Wild country Sirocco +. Its out of production now sadly.

Thanks for your comments Jim, and others.

geordiekez

Post by geordiekez » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 pm

I'd forgotten about the Sirocco, good tent, side zip was extremely well thought out the only true disadvantage was the weight of it. I personally like a smaller tent to have the side opening, such as the single pole Hilleberg akto or the Terra Nova laser comp; if I were looking to replace a sirocco, I'd be tempted by the Terra Nova voyager, despite its front opening, everything else about it seems good!

Vango unfortunatley, have gone downhill in the last few years, with quality and customer service; we've recently had a number of vango tents through the business, and I was glad to see the back of them; versions of Vango's tensioning system can be found on a variety of other tents, and unfortunately seems to be more effecient on these other, than on the vango range. A shame really.

Cheers Kez
R.I.P ucsm remembers.

catman

Post by catman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Hillebergs seem to be getting a lot of recommendations here. In the interests of balance I can say that I don’t recommend the Nallo 2 GT. It’s a three hoop design tunnel tent and very, and I mean very noisy in a wind. You will not sleep without earplugs. It requires good ground as the pegs come under quite a strain which means getting up in the night in underpants to reset the pegs. But worst of all the poles snap if you look at them the wrong way. Sections have been replaced 3 times; I’ve had the tent 5 years. I would not buy a tunnel tent again, particularly a Hilleberg as they don’t live up to the hype. Despite the considerable cost involved in buying the Nallo they don’t inspire confidence.
For me some of the new Vango tents are just poor copies of better tents and not well designed or made. I recently had the use of a brand new Vango tent and managed to rip the pole sleeve simply because it was poorly designed and didn’t allow pushing the pole easily through the sleeve.
I would try a Saunders tent, I’ve had one (a single hoop affair) for almost 20 years and it still works and has suffered no UV damage despite being used in the Alps many times. I think you can only buy them online. They don’t make anything else and even though their designs aren’t cutting edge anymore (once were) they are well made, are family owned and made in England. That’s a recommendation coming from a Scotsman bye the way! Oh, and as far as I am aware they still hold a hill race every year in the lakes called the Saunders Mountain Marathon.
So check it out dude campers.
Phil

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:43 pm

MikeD wrote:
I would like a Staika for solo winter use, but do I really need another tent......:-)

Mike
I really like the look of these tents, I think they would make a really good kayaking tent. Room either side for wet kit and cooking, good head room and truely free standing. The problem is that the cheepest I've found them in the UK is £532, which put one way out of my price range.

I have a Macpac microlite, which is great for one or two nights or when backpacking, but it becomes a bit of a dog kennel on longer trips.

mikeybaby

Post by mikeybaby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 pm

I would try a Saunders tent, I’ve had one (a single hoop affair) for almost 20 years and it still works and has suffered no UV damage despite being used in the Alps many times. I think you can only buy them online. They don’t make anything else and even though their designs aren’t cutting edge anymore (once were) they are well made, are family owned and made in England. That’s a recommendation coming from a Scotsman bye the way! Oh, and as far as I am aware they still hold a hill race every year in the lakes called the Saunders Mountain Marathon.
I Second this. I've got a Saterlite Plus and its awesome for 1 person (2 at a squeeze) has stood up to everything I've thrown at it. Weights less than dust. Managed to get an old Galaxy but it does show its age. I've replaced at the rubber peg elastics but one of the seems is coming uptaped. However it two held out very well in a storm when other tents (vango) got battered. However I have too many and this needs to go so If anyone wants it for £50 please contact me.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm

I went thro a similar thought process last summer, and ended up getting another Vaude MkII to replace an elderly, damaged one - the thread's here and there were lots of good suggestions and advice.

The Vaude is easy to erect on your own, almost free standing, no faffing with threading poles thro sleeves or trying to drape a flapping f/sheet over the inner in a gale, spacious, quiet and had good spares back up. It's also reasonably priced if you hunt around a bit - I'd recommend Chevin Trek who were responsive to some haggling, and got me the "long" version quickly and efficiently, and cheaper than anyone else I could find!

Regs, Mike.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 pm

For two of us on long trips, we now have one of these - frankly it's ludicrously huge, more of an outdoor office than a sleeping shelter. In addition to the comments below, we've discovered that it takes about a month to put up in the dark, and it's a pretty hefty (5+ kilos) bit of airline baggage to take all the way to Portugal and back without actually using.
Mark R wrote:Heather and I just took delivery of our combined Christmas pressie to each other, a new sea kayaking tent;

Acquired at a bargain price in the Xmas sales...

Quick review

Pros:
* Great price
* Seems bombproof, very rigid with poles and guylines everywhere; easily coped with the random crosswinds that plague our living room
* Vast space inside extending upwards and outwards, gear space at the rear end and cooking space at the front end, pretty well filled the room

Cons
* Stupid obnoxious colour scheme making it about as environmentally unobtrusive as a Drive-In MacDonalds; indeed, it clashed with our sofas somewhat
* Silly pointless window at the top, enables you to watch telly from within at least
* Rather excessive for just two folk if you're less territorial than we are

Nice tent. Just need to be holed in it for a few days by some crappy weather, to test it properly.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Ligan

Post by Ligan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Mark,

Looks like a nice day at sandwood bay, didn't you fancy the bothy?

As for tents - A Quasar style tent (tnf mountain 24 or marks new one) are pretty much bombproof. Spent months in the acrtic in one, and not a murmer. good quality poles are a must for strong winds and getting burried in snow.

Pete

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 pm

geordiekez wrote:Vango unfortunatley, have gone downhill in the last few years, with quality and customer service;
I think this is partly to do with splitting the brands, unfortunately I have no experience about whether the F10 brand retains the original Vango quality and service. Anyone got experience?

I think the parent company also own Lichfield, so the downgrading of Vango doesn't even make sense to me.

geordiekez

Post by geordiekez » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Force ten ( or f10 by vango as it's parent company AMG group likes it to be known) have in recent years diversified their range and seem to have reached a good level of quality; they're not brilliant but certainly not bad; predominantly what lets f10 down is their customer service. Interestingly AMG have recognised this and have had a reshuffle in their returns dept. which seems to be working for teva who are the only brand I've been involved with since the reshuffle, so here's to hoping that F10 can continue to grow again.
I particularly like the F10 helium; if I could justify another tent, I'd be buying one!

Cheers, kez
R.I.P ucsm remembers.