Wild Camping 'out of season'

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NeilG

Wild Camping 'out of season'

Post by NeilG » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:28 pm

More of a poll really, but tips greatly appreciated...

I made three new year resolutions for 2008.

1) Cross the Solent to start paddling the Isle of Wight coast line.
2) Learn to roll.
3) Do some kayak camping trips.

Well:
1) Completed several times over.
2) Ashamed to say I never made the effort.
3) PPP...the planned trip never happened and back up plan came to nothing also.

It might be too late for 2008, but 2009 is another time.

Who braves the cold and camps through the winter period please? Are there any 'musts' so that the enjoyment is not lost?

Tips and tales please...
Merry Christmas everbody
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Mark R

Re: Wild Camping 'out of season'

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Skerry Packer

Post by Skerry Packer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 am

I have never thought of camping being in or out of season as living in Scotland tends to prepare us for having four seasons in one day. Summer camping can be great but I have seen grown men become demented souls trying to find respite from the dreaded midge, one learns to find a windy spot.
For me, winter camping with cold crisp nights, millions of stars in the sky, a good fire and good company telling stories of adventures we were all party to the making of is for me what it's all about. Short days, long nights, fire lit early and after dinner break out the amber nectar until sleep calls us to the bag. At other times I prefer the solitude of going it alone and just chill out.
Must haves, Good sleeping bag and base as a cold night does not set one up for the endeavours of the following day,Down for me is a no no. Dry clothing that is never allowed to get wet or damp if I can help it even to the point of putting on damp clothing if going out of the tent even for a wetty if it is raining. Gas lamp and candles gives heat and light and can lift the tent temperature on really cold nights. the company of a book or radio if needed.
I try and ring in the bells every hogmanay camping somewhere either with or without company, have had many great times and have been washed out at other. This hogmanay I will either be at Etterick bay on Bute or on Inchmurrin Loch Lomond as my days of seeing in the new year from the tops of Munroes are past.
A few weeks ago spent a couple of nights at Loch Etive ice breaking with the kayak as we paddle through, frozen stiff we were but the mulled wine was great. Lookng forward now to next week.
Gerry
Per Nostra Opera

steve-m

Post by steve-m » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:48 am

Given where you are located, if you wished, you could grab the opportunity of a settled weather period at any time of the year and head across to the Isle of Wight for an overnight camp and then back. I have camped out a couple of times along the coast between Newtown Bay and Yarmouth never had a problem. Some of the clay cliffs are a bit crumbly but you can usually squeeze your tent onto a spot somewhere and you can then lie snug in your sleeping bag and watch all the lights and ships of the Western Solent.
Steve-M Shropshire

pebbles

Post by pebbles » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:45 pm

I did my first overnight exped in sea kayaks on the 1st week of November.
We went to Pembrokeshire and paddled around St Brides bay. It was amazing and we were soooo lucky with the weather!!!! I think it would have been more "interesting" if it had been cold and wet!!
Happy Paddling!
Ange

Twix

Post by Twix » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Seems to be a popular question at the moment. Some good ideas (and inevitably a lot of repetition)

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=14094

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=334258

I have camped a lot in winter, but not from a kayak as it happens. I love camping in snow, much nicer than endless rain :-)

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:36 pm

The darkness - take a good candle burner and taking a tarp for rain/dry entry to tent. Will all help.

Nick

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:26 pm

This week coming looks like it's meant to be really settled, thinking of going up to the Summer Isles or Applecross(if I don't get this flu and the other halfs has shaken off hers)
XC weather have quite a different forecast than Metcheck though, do they know something we don't, or is it a perfect example of why not to rely on computers and people (crap in=crap out) for long term "climate change" predictions ! Gusts of 421mph!!

"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Gusts of 421mph.

You could lose your hat in that. :o)
≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Sgian Dubh wrote:Gusts of 421mph.

You could lose your hat in that. :o)
Not if properly secured with suitable ratchet straps!

Solent Kayak Pages

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:48 pm

steve-m wrote:Given where you are located, if you wished, you could grab the opportunity of a settled weather period at any time of the year and head across to the Isle of Wight for an overnight camp and then back. I have camped out a couple of times along the coast between Newtown Bay and Yarmouth never had a problem. Some of the clay cliffs are a bit crumbly but you can usually squeeze your tent onto a spot somewhere and you can then lie snug in your sleeping bag and watch all the lights and ships of the Western Solent.
Funnily enough, we were eyeing that stretch of coast up back in September. It did look like a bit of a scramble. I also thought the grass in front of Hurst Castle looked quite nice, right by the sign that says, "No Camping".

Solent Kayak Pages

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 pm

If cooking on gas, sleep with it.
Also try to keep it insulated from the ground in use.
Get used to using your sleeping bag with the hood closed right up, and wear a hat if necessary.
Don't be afraid to light fires if necessary to keep you warm at night (subject to proper siting etc.) but consider that it might be better to just stay in the tent out of the elements altogether.
Big volumes of water take longer to freeze than small volumes - an old fashioned water bottle will be pourable long after the drinking tube of a camelback/platypus arrangement has frozen solid.

Also consider that the streams (for fresh water) could be pretty well frozen - this should be less of an issue by the sea. I spent last week in a cottage in the highlands, on arrival we had to charge the water system which is drained over the winter to stop it freezing. Initially nothing happened, then my brother went and rattled the inlet pipe up by the mostly frozen stream and we got some flow but it still took about a day to fill the header tank before we could get hot water. The UV filtration system filled within a couple of hours but there was a distinct possibility that we might have to change our plans if we couldn't at least get drinking water!

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

oldmanriver

Post by oldmanriver » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm

All sound advice also try getting hold of a charchol burning handwarmer for heating your sleeping bag a fantastic idea if your alone in your tent and it's difficult to heat the space they burn for around four hours and are roasting hot. Another top tip is to invest £10 in a sleeping bag liner that will keep you just as warm as spending mega bucks on a down sleeping bag. Another top tip is when lighting stoves and lamps in your tent be very aware of the fire hazard if a tent your in goes on fire your un-likely get out quick enough. Ultimatley have fun and carry on camping.