Ocean paddler

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
maryinoxford

Re: Ocean paddler

Post by maryinoxford » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 pm

ChrisS wrote:They also sent me a copy of issue 13 ("white cover") although I cancelled my subscription back in the summer.
Me too.
Not in Oxford any more...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Well, they're still trading - Issue 13 is listed on the website today (by coincidence) and I've just ordered my copy.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:16 pm

ChrisS wrote:They also sent me a copy of issue 13 ("white cover") although I cancelled my subscription back in the summer.

According to Companies House, company number 06559486 Masik Publishing Limited, incorporated 8 April 2008, was dissolved on 9 December 2008. I'm not sure what to make of that.
Errm....
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:39 pm

If you check out page 3(!), depending on how you count the pages, the one with a picture of FH doing ballet with two paddles, in the publisher's gumpf that is printed side on it refers to Richard Parkin T/A (trading as) Masik Publishing. It would seem that Richard has been reorganising his business affairs following the exit of other participant(s) in Masik Publishing Limited and has himself taken on the trading name "Masik Publishing".

If the company has been dissolved it no longer exists and can't therefore be trading. Presumably, to effect an orderly dissolution of the company Richard has taken on the debts owed by the company (including those of creditors such as article writers and subscribers). I say that because as a subscriber creditor I have since received a magazine and it would be difficult if not impossible to dissolve a company with continuing liabilities (or assets) without going through the formal process of notifying creditors.

How Richard organises his business affairs is, of course, his business, but I agree - pay the writers and photographers otherwise the poor payer reputation will spread and decent articles and pictures will cease to be submitted, as is apparently already the case with DW. If this were to play out to the bitter end I certainly wouldn't want to subscribe to the resulting magazine that consisted of 80 pages of advertisers' and manufacturers' copy. As it is, I think OP is already pushing the limits of what I find tolerable in this respect and it doesn't help that whoever writes these things often writes in a manner that does not engage me. Oh, and while I'm at it, I don't like the white cover.

'nuff said

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 am

Mark R wrote:Well, they're still trading - Issue 13 is listed on the website today (by coincidence) and I've just ordered my copy.
Arrived. Looks great.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Jonas Karlsson

Post by Jonas Karlsson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:20 am

Mark R wrote:
Mark R wrote:Well, they're still trading - Issue 13 is listed on the website today (by coincidence) and I've just ordered my copy.
Arrived. Looks great.
Arrived to me in Sweden yesterday as well. Think it looks great.

Light winds here at the moment...best to head out...OP can wait until the evening.

Jonas

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:05 pm

I quite like the white cover and I like the easy to read text. As for the content, there's some good stuff in there (e.g. Patrick Winterton) but again it's dominated by 4/5 leading coaches and acres of text. No doubt UKSKGB regulars and composite sea kayak owning old hands will lap it up, but is the 'serious' sea kayaker market really big enough to sustain a magazine of such 'build quality'/ producton costs? Or would it be better to widen the magazine's appeal to try to attract the vast number of people out there who mess about in boats down at the sea side? (*) Or is it too late now?

Chris.

(* something I was reminded of again this year, paddling from Lynmouth to Morthoe, as, after a remarkably quiet paddle, I rounded Morte Point to be confronted by thousands of holidaymakers.....)
Chris Wheeler

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Chris W wrote:I quite like the white cover and I like the easy to read text. As for the content, there's some good stuff in there (e.g. Patrick Winterton) but again it's dominated by 4/5 leading coaches and acres of text. No doubt UKSKGB regulars and composite sea kayak owning old hands will lap it up, but is the 'serious' sea kayaker market really big enough to sustain a magazine of such 'build quality'/ producton costs? Or would it be better to widen the magazine's appeal to try to attract the vast number of people out there who mess about in boats down at the sea side? (*) Or is it too late now?

Chris.

(* something I was reminded of again this year, paddling from Lynmouth to Morthoe, as, after a remarkably quiet paddle, I rounded Morte Point to be confronted by thousands of holidaymakers.....)
Isn't there a danger, if it goes down the "mess about in boats down at the sea side" route, of losing its core readership of "serious sea kayakers". Who is more likely to keep buying the magazines all year round?

I have to agree about too much from a very small pool of writers, but if they don't pay for contributions that pool is going to srink very quickly.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Well, Warner Group quietly dropped 'Playboating' magazine. Question for you- should OP be trying to be the sea version of Kayak Session (or KS's sea kayaking annual ''Paddler World')......or the sea version of CKUK? You can't pay contributors without readers.

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

Skua

Post by Skua » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 am

Chris W wrote:Well, Warner Group quietly dropped 'Playboating' magazine. Question for you- should OP be trying to be the sea version of Kayak Session (or KS's sea kayaking annual ''Paddler World')......or the sea version of CKUK? You can't pay contributors without readers.

Chris.

Or advertisers - they are the real funders of magazines, and the current economics mean that ad budgets are being cut, not just in the paddling magazines, but everywhere. The mainstream magazines are actually suffering from the difficulties in the car world - car makers put huge funds into publishing in the form of adverts, and they have cut right back, leaving many publications on the brink.

It is a double headed coin. You need readers to make it worthwhile the advertisers placing ads. To get the readers you need good reading material (editorial, which costs to produce). You need advertisers to fund the editorial and the cost of production/distribution. Typically, the cover price has had very little input into the eonomics of publishing, it might pay for the printing for a wide readership publication. For niche publications the advertsing revenue is a massive proportion of the income stream - plus the fact that distribution and production costs are relatively higher too, as there is no economy of scale. Publishers like Warners ca buy paper in one bulk order for the 80 odd titles they print, some are contract published for other publishers, some are their own in house titles. But buying paper for 80 titles is going to give you a better discount from the paper mill, than buying for 5000 copies.

The same goes for distribution.

having said that, there are one or two niche, stand alone publications which do work. I have a friend who publishes a classic motorcycle magazine - he has the bulk of the readership, even over the main titles, because he used to work for the lewading title and it was sold. It is also a much higher readership than all the paid for paddling titles in this country put together. That is going to be the ongoing problem for any paddle title - it is a very small market, even if it is a passionate one.

Dr. Walrus

Post by Dr. Walrus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm a bit concerned now. I took out a subscription in December as a treat for myself plus I ordered a back issue because they did a review of my new kayak. Haven't received back issue yet or indeed anything from them but they've taken my money. I have emailed them to ask when I will recieve a magazine but no reply. Any ideas?

Doc

Skua

Post by Skua » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:02 am

Dr Walrus, all you can do now is wait, and have faith.

I believe Richard is an honest and decent chap at heart, but trying to publish a magazine on his own is going to be stressful. Hopefully he is just behind schedule and your copies will be with you in not too long.

It is a beautifully produced magazine and deserves to work, but I should like ot see a bit more variety, both in the contributors and in the content. I find Sea Kayaker suffers the same - lovely pieces, but the features are so similar each time, just different places. At least Richard started doing interesting interviews and tried to vary the content. I hope he can pull through.

Dr. Walrus

Post by Dr. Walrus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Skua
I really have liked the mag when I've seen friend's copies so I'm looking forward to it.
I'll be patient.
Doc

Dr. Walrus

Post by Dr. Walrus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 am

All sorted - Rich has been in touch and has sorted my subscription. If all goes as planned he is providing excellent customer service and other suppliers could learn a thing or two from this guy!

Doc.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 am

Did Issue 14 of OP appear?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

johnb

Post by johnb » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:22 am

Not seen mine yet....

JP9

Post by JP9 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:20 pm

I haven't had mine either.

Jersey Kayak

Post by Jersey Kayak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:24 pm

I was talking to Richard last week about placing an advert for our 4 star assessments.

He told me that issue 14 goes to press later this week and out in time for Paddlefest.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Well Rich may still be taking in advertising revenue but he still has not paid me for contributions to 11 issues. Nor is he even having the decency to reply to my very polite emails. Very sad, but if you are thinking of contributing an article I think it would be safer to look at a magazine like Canoe and Kayak UK.

Douglas

fiona

Post by fiona » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:32 pm

That's really bad that you've not yet been paid, Douglas. I want to support Ocean Paddler as I think it's a quality magazine and covers a market that no other magazines do - but i honestly wouldn't recommend subscribing to it to anyone after my experiences and until it pays its contributors. I have held off commenting to give Richard Parkin the chance to reply to me - but he appears to have chosen not to. I purchased a gift subscription for a friend when the magazine first started, as well as a subs for myself. I got all 12 issues - but my friend didn't. OP did sort of sort that out eventually and sent on a few of the missing issues.

I then resubscribed for the next 12 issues for myself. I then got an email saying my subscription had ended and offering me the chance to resubscribe. Naturally I contacted OP to say I had already paid, gave them the details, etc etc - they replied confirming I had resubscribed. Sorted, I thought. Then I received another email a few weeks later .......... again I contacted them saying I had already paid the subs for issues 13-24 and asking them to confirm that i would be getting them. No response at all. Contacted them again and got an extremely rude response from Mr Parkin, basically implying that I was a complete nuisance (what happened to valuing your subscribers - or are we only valued until you have our money???). I replied again commenting that I felt his reply was out of order and that I was seriously considering posting my feelings here but wanted to give him the chance to reply again first as I felt that was only fair - and since then, nothing (and that's 5 weeks ago now).

So as it stands, I am wondering whether I am even going to receive the issues I have paid for ..... or whether they have 'lost' my details again. Sadly, I can only speculate that OP is unlikely to survive - espeically in the current economic climate - if it continues to treat "valued" subscribers and "valued" contributors in the way that people are clearly being treated. I really hope it does survive because it is a quality magazine - but sadly, I fear it is unlikely. I hope to be proved wrong in time.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:58 pm

At least you got a reply from Ocean Paddler.

I've tried to contact them some 5 times, submitting articles, commenting, and lastly offering some help.

Not one reply or acknowledgement.

John Bradley (Bradders)

Post by John Bradley (Bradders) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 pm

So has anybody heard anything else at all as surely the next edition should be out now?

J

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 pm

E-mail OP newsletter this morning - 'Issue 14 has gone to print - all being well, will be mailed out at the end of the week.'
Dave Thomas

Ringperm

Post by Ringperm » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Dave Thomas wrote: will be mailed out at the end of the week.'
Which means that it will take an additional 3-4 weeks before it reaches Scandinavia.
Funny that it takes longer for OP to reach Norway than it takes to ship SK Magazine all the way from the US. It is also funny that everytime this magazine is delayed (has it ever been on time?) it is usually somebody else's fault.

What is not funny, is that the people contributing to this magazine is not compensated for their hard work.
Although this is none of my business, I will probably take it into account when my subscription is due for renewal.

-End of rant

pby5a

Post by pby5a » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Ringperm wrote:
What is not funny, is that the people contributing to this magazine is not compensated for their hard work.
Although this is none of my business, I will probably take it into account when my subscription is due for renewal.

Yup, same here. Nice magazine, but only nice with the contributions of you folk.
Onno

ExplorerHV

Post by ExplorerHV » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 am

Any news on issue 14?
I have not renewed my subscription yet, and i am not sure what to do.
If i do so, will get the issues?

John Bradley (Bradders)

Post by John Bradley (Bradders) » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 pm

MMM interesting situation. When it was first issued it was I understood it a monthly publication. Then it would appear to have become bi-monthly. However I'm not as to when this would appear to have happened. Is it becoming quarterly? Maybe a statement from somebody would be a good idea?

Time will tell.

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:26 am

Surprise surprise; issue 14 just dropped through my letter box. I'd started to suspect that OP was dead in the water. First glance looks good.

Barnacle Bill

Post by Barnacle Bill » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:24 pm

Mine has arrived this morning. Didn't really expect to see another one.
OP reckons they will be at the Nottingham Paddlefest
paddlefest.squarespace.com
So all those with OP issues to resolve could maybe find RP there
Barbara Browning

John Bradley (Bradders)

Post by John Bradley (Bradders) » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Hiya, got mine as well!