Ocean paddler

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ExplorerHV

Ocean paddler

Post by ExplorerHV » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:12 pm

When is next issue coming out?

Mark R

Re: Ocean paddler

Post by Mark R » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:12 pm

I heard that a local paddler had received a new edition already, and that it now has a white cover - sounds unlikely I know, but that's what I heard.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

JohnML

Post by JohnML » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Got it here and it's looking good in the new white cover, the inside is a lot brighter with only two pages of white text on black! Thumbs up.

Jonas Karlsson

Post by Jonas Karlsson » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:09 pm

...wow...sounds realy exciting...can´t wait until my copy arrives to Sweden :)

Jonas

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:20 pm

Sadly the change of cover colour has not altered the magazine's promptness to pay for contributions. The editor is still not responding to my very polite enquiries about payment for contributions to the last eleven issues.

Douglas

john campbell

Post by john campbell » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Just got my copy yesterday and looks good.

Noticed the new paddle leash featured on p46 and wonder whether this is designed to assist with a re-entry and roll type rescue.

Any suggestions.

John

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:22 pm

It looks very attractive in the new white colour and is a lot easier to read,however i am disappointed to hear that Douglas has,nt been paid for all those great articles in the previous issues.
It certainly makes me reluctant to renew my subscription which is due soon,hope Douglas keeps us posted.

Crofty

Skerryvore

Post by Skerryvore » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Good Shout Steve, hard to think of a month when Douglas has not had great articles in O.P. I will not renew subs also until Douglas has been settled with what is owing to him & if more follow then possibly could get this settled sooner than later!

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Looks a really good set of contents - it's set aside for my Christmas treat read!

A skim reveals:
* the majority of the editorial introduction is responses to points made on this forum - good to see that the editor is reading and responding.
* the reviews are still anonymous - would be good to have at least an Ocean Paddler byline so's to distinguish between what's a real review and what's a manufacturer's news release.

As to small diameter Lendal shafts (as discussed in the editorial), I've looked again at the Lendal website, and they're not mentioned there. I've emailed them for info - I'll post if I get a response. Disappointing not to have known this sooner, as I've not long ago bought a Lendal for someone with small hands - and they're complaining about the shaft being too big.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm

Thank you for the moral support Steve and Skerryvore. Please do not let my predicament spoil your enjoyment of the magazine. Issue 13 is really very good.

Douglas

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi Douglas

I enjoy your articles and but if you don,t get paid then you and people like you won,t write anymore for the magazine and if that happens then the magazine won,t be worh reading as far as I am concerned.

Regards

Crofty

Jonas Karlsson

Post by Jonas Karlsson » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 pm

steve crofts wrote:Hi Douglas

I enjoy your articles and but if you don,t get paid then you and people like you won,t write anymore for the magazine and if that happens then the magazine won,t be worh reading as far as I am concerned.

Regards

Crofty
...could not have said it better myself! Me also really enjoy your articles and great photo! Really hope that you get your payment soon Douglas.

Regards

Jonas

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:45 am

Douglas Wilcox wrote:Sadly the change of cover colour has not altered the magazine's promptness to pay for contributions. The editor is still not responding to my very polite enquiries about payment for contributions to the last eleven issues.

Douglas
That's very disappointing, I was thinking only the other day that I really should try and write something again. Just to stop the brain going soft. I know that Paddles Magazine has a reputation for being a crap payer. If Ocean Paddler is the same it doesn't leave many options. I don't read C&K,uk, or what ever its called, does anyone know whether they do sea kayaking stories and are they good payers?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Canoe Kayak UK publish sea kayak stuff in every issue. However as a 'broader appeal' mag they want it to be non-techy and accessible to all - which frankly, is fine by me as it's what most sea paddling articles need to take heed of. They are fairly stringent over photo quality (the editor is a photographer), especially liking variety (e.g. lifestyle/human interest shots).

They pay £40 a page and £100 a cover and - since they were bought by Warner Publications - send you an invoice right after publication and then pay right away.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Owen wrote:I know that Paddles Magazine has a reputation for being a crap payer.
Freestyle Publications are currently in financial/legal/managerial meltdown. Don't go near them.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

mclaughlin

Post by mclaughlin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:41 pm

There was an offer by OP last year that if you joined by Jan 07 [if I remember correctly] then you would receive all the back issues. Needless to say, these never arrived. IF they havent paid you Doug then I too may consider not renewing my subscription. Why dont you start your own mag - include photos and your reviews of various boats and gear etc!!

Richard
Never Eat Yellow Snow....

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Sent OP a draft article (three times, by various routes) for publication, but was careful to send it as a draft with low-resolution pictures. Never got any response - maybe a lucky escape!

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:59 pm

Thanks Mark,

I'll try and get hold of some back issues to get a feel of their style.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Okay, I've held back from commenting on DW's OP payment issue as becoming indignant on behalf of strangers on the internet is a perennially dodgy area - you never quite know the full picture and there are always two sides to a story. However, I think we know what a straight-up guy DW is, and given his usual restraint, I suspect that it has taken him a while to reach the point where he'll complain openly on the internet.

So ... here's my take on this. I know the editor but have not seen or heard from him for a while. He's a decent guy to the best of my knowledge and experience. Clearly there are problems with OP payments; but I think it's very important not to leap to the conclusion that OP/Masik Publications is some kind of criminal endeavour. Any young small business is going to struggle to balance the books at times and (yes, I know some folk will throw their hands up in horror at this) there may be times when you have to miss invoice deadlines or issue 'IOU's. This is the real world. However, the only way for this sort of thing to be even vaguely palatable is to communicate with those involved openly and honestly. The importance of communication applies even more so in the tiny world of sea kayaking where your credibility and reputation will depend upon word of mouth.

Hence, my real concern here is that not so much that Douglas hasn't been paid, it's that he's (apparently) being stonewalled. I would very much hope that this is a blip and that Richard Parkin will try to repair the damage already done by opening up communication channels all round - openness and honesty is the only possible way forward. I think that he will find that there is a fair amount of patience and goodwill out there to be capitalised upon, as long as people know where they stand.

***Incidentally; might as well be open and honest about my own relationship with OP - I gave them all the support they could to start with, including free advertising on this site. I offered them a pile of photographic material FOC (I was too busy working on my book to write for them) but received no reply (after several reminders over several months), offered them a couple of articles once I'd finished the book, but received replies to maybe 1 in 3 emails. Got bored and gave up. Richard P can do better than this, I am sure.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:03 pm

Mark is absolutely right. There are always two sides to every story. This is mine.

I have only met Rich Parkin once but he is a genuinely nice guy. When OP started I thought it was a great idea and the high standard of issue 13 shows that it has continued to be so. I was paid very promptly for the first issue but that is the only time I was paid. I understand it is very difficult to start up a new business and I was quite tolerant of the lack of payment for several months thereafter, I thought it would help them get going. However, as time went on I got more anxious and the last time I submitted an article was back in April 2008. I told Rich I would start writing again once payments started, I wasn't even looking for it all at once as I knew it would by now be a big dent in their cashflow. My articles continued to appear until issue 12, due to the long lead in time for publication. Then in July 2008 Rich emailed and asked me if I would do an illustrated article for issue 12. I said I would, once a payment appeared but it didn't, so I didn't send an article and he used an anonymous "incident article" previously written by me in its place. Then in August 2008 Rich asked me for an illustrated article for issue 13. Again I said I would do one but added
"I don't like to bring up the money word but I have only been paid for the first issue. A cheque would definitely help with the writing!"
For the first time he replied, acknowledging that I had not been paid
" oh b****r – I had no idea, in fact I was told when taking sole control of the company that ‘all contributor payments were up to date’. Money is incredibly tight at the moment, but will improve in the next month or so – so please bear with me."
However, still no payment or even part payment arrived and so I did not submit an article. In the meantime two regular and two irregular contributors from the UK and Europe emailed asking if I had received any payment as they had not. Like me they were not getting any reply to their email requests. Still no cheque or communication arrived by the end of November.

Then on 4th December Nikohak from Finland posted on this forumto say he was also having difficulty with communication with OP and payment. I waited for a while then emailed Rich again on 13th December.
Hello Rich, I hope this finds you well and that you are now settling into the bimonthly publication of OP. In your last email you expressed concern that I had only been paid for issue #1. I am obviously pretty concerned about this as well, especially as I have not heard further from you. Could you please let me know your proposal for payment?

All the best
Douglas
Unfortunately I received no reply. As Mark says the lack of communication is a big concern. You can always sort a compromise if you communicate. I am lucky to have a well paid job but I am cash strapped at the moment as I have had to reroof my house and rebuild the front wall to stop leaks. My patience has been stretched. I thought very carefully about posting here or going down the Small Claims Court route. I thought the Small claims route might be a bit drastic and might even pose a threat to the viability of the young company. I was also concerned in case Rich or Masik were facing difficulties I was unaware of and didn't want to add legal ones on top.

I do wish Rich and OP the very best and continuing success but I also look forward to having my contributions paid for. Thanks to everyone for their supportive comments.

Douglas

steve crofts

Post by steve crofts » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks for the full explanation Douglas,now that we know your side of events i hope you will keep us posted as to how it goes.
I think Mark made the most sense when he said that probably what concerned folk about this sorry tale was that OP had stopped talking to you,whether you
need the money or not it is always annoying to be ignored.
On the subject of Issue 13 which you referred to earlier,it is probably the most interesting issue from my point of view.It contains an article about the Fife Sea Kayak Club rescue on August 6th in which I was involved,and also from my occupational point of view (coastguard)it discusses some leeway changes which we will have to be aware of should we ever have to search for missing kayaks here at Forth MRCC.

Regards
Crofty

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:41 am

Coming back to the editorial in OP13, which suggests that Lendal make sea paddles with small diameter shafts, here's what Lendal said today:

"Dear Mr Craig,
We do in fact only do one shaft diameter, with the exception of the Gremlin childrens paddle which is of a smaller diameter (and has blades with a smaller fitment for this purpose). We cannot put a thinner shaft onto a standard blade as it won’t fit into the spigot.
regards
Mark Crame"

Would be good if they did, as there's a demand.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 am

I don't have this latest 'white cover' issue yet - should I have renewed or something? I lost track of all the PayPal malarkey.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

fiona

Post by fiona » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the 'white cover' issue is no 12, so it should still be on your original year's subscription as that covered 12 issues. Worth contacting them to chase up.

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:26 pm

I have the white cover issue before me, its No. 13.

fiona

Post by fiona » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for the correction, Owen. I'm not at home just now - but my magazine is!

Mike Marshall

Post by Mike Marshall » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Mark R wrote:I don't have this latest 'white cover' issue yet - should I have renewed or something? I lost track of all the PayPal malarkey.
Mark,
I was sent a reminder that my subscription had expired.
It was not expired and I sent a copy of the Paypal payment and the fact it was valid until May 2009 to OP.
The first payment was May 2007 expiring May 2009??

Perhaps you need to check on your paypal bill and its date?

MikeM

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Cheers, I checked my PayPal account and discovered that my subscription had indeed expired.

BUT I just went to the OP website to buy a copy of the latest mag ... but couldn't work out how to get issue 13. Am I missing something?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 am

fiona wrote:I'm pretty sure the 'white cover' issue is no 12, so it should still be on your original year's subscription as that covered 12 issues. Worth contacting them to chase up.
I thought it was number 13 - which I had not paid for. I emailed them to query this, but have not had a reply. That was several weeks ago.
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:43 pm

They also sent me a copy of issue 13 ("white cover") although I cancelled my subscription back in the summer.

According to Companies House, company number 06559486 Masik Publishing Limited, incorporated 8 April 2008, was dissolved on 9 December 2008. I'm not sure what to make of that.