Biggest wave ever surfed?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Peter Holgate

Re: Biggest wave ever surfed?

Post by Peter Holgate »

Just thought I would bring this back on topic a bit http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7LCpMGI ... re=related
May be not the biggest waves ever but ......

SplitSkin

Post by SplitSkin »

yep waves, kayaks. Not massive but....What?

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

Never mind kayak surfing-this is litterally as cool as it gets- The King of waves himself....who said that kayaks were as fast as boards?

;-P
dam the dart :)

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

I would saw boards are faster, I would fancy trying my luck in this wave on a kayak. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnyQISw-xI

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Well if we are posting up videos Enter Alejo.

No they are not Laird size waves but I think it's cool anyway.

Denzil

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate »

SplitSkin wrote:yep waves, kayaks. Not massive but....What?
But I don't think you would make them on a ski !!

SplitSkin

Post by SplitSkin »

Ah Peter Holgate strikes again!

The answer is yes Peter, I could make those waves on a ski. In fact I do regularly. This is one of my local spots & I have been surfing here since 1995. The waves that Johnny and Chris are surfing are nothing out of the ordinary for Ireland and this spot can hold a big swell. I'm not going to reiterate what I and others have said in previous post. I dont believe that it will make any difference to your opinion even if I do.

I am struggling to believe that you are actually real. Are you sure your not someone I know trying to wind me up?

dessiesurf

Post by dessiesurf »

HI there folks.
Ive been watching this thread for a while and ive decided to register and post on this topic.
First off i filmed the video of chris and jonny that day and if i can remember that was a 5m swell with a 13 sec period. Its not the biggest that ive seen this spot, in fact earlier that day it was even bigger on the pushing tide.
Here is pic of me from earlier that morning

Here is the flickr file of the pics of jonny and chris that day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nisurfkaya ... 474742567/
As for surfing big waves in kayaks ive managed to break both my boats this winter in 6m+ surf. My short boat split 2ft on the seam and both the hull and the deck cracked as well, as it skipped on a takeoff on a large set wave in 6m swell.
My IC boat has so many cracks on the hull It looks like a spiders web, again from paddling on big waves. There is a limit to what you can surf. The chop that is created in big surf leaves it so difficult to keep you boat in contact with the water. Even on days where the wind is light, in between the waves or just as the wave passes by, the wind can go from a force 3 to a force 6 in an instance. This is in surf that is up to 20ft on the face, multiply that and the wind kicks in and leaves it impossible to surf big waves. If were talking about big waves and comparing them to the jaws surfers then you are talking 40ft+ on the faces. In my opinion, it cant be done.
As for the faster craft, boards are the quickest ski's are next the its kayaks.
Ive sured with all three on big days and from sitting in the channel and watching is where ive come to this conclusion.
I have been competing in kayak events since 2002 and have enjoyed every moment of it, but after this years worlds i will be getting rid of my boats and taking up wavesking and boardsurfing.

Dessie Mc Glinchey
N.Ireland surf sqaud.

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

Me at monsters:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/g ... 00465F.jpg

And:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/g ... 000543.jpg

Had it much bigger than this. The only limitation is fear! As some of you know, I design and build Surfboards. Boards still have the edge as are designed specifically for one job. A big wave gun - flat bottom - concave or double concave at the nose, crowned rails and v in the tail. It is not expected to work in 3foot stuff.

Has anyone designed a big wave yak yet? I have a big wave ski - just for this stuff.

av.surfer

Post by av.surfer »

At last i hope Peter will take a chill pill and end all this tosh talk about big waves and how fast kayaks are, or not!
I've tried to stay out of this topic as i've talked to some guys who've convinced me they're the Kelly Slater of the yak world and once in the water all they can do is the Measteg plough all the way to the beach, also as GG has said my 2ft is someone elses 5ft, Dessie is probably in the best position geographically and from his experience to comment.
I must add i only surf a yak so i would'nt comment on river stuff and i think that some times river dudes catch a 3 ft wave and instead of going straight to the beach (Measteg plough stylee) they manage to get on a shoulder surf the wave and think it must be the biggest fastest wave ever surfed in a boat.

Matt

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

dessiesurf wrote:...I have been competing in kayak events since 2002 and have enjoyed every moment of it, but after this years worlds i will be getting rid of my boats and taking up wavesking and boardsurfing.

Dessie Mc Glinchey
N.Ireland surf sqaud.
Your leaving will be a great loss to the surf kayaking community Dessie, thanks for all that you have done over the years for the sport and I wish you all the best in your future ventures.

Denzil

P.S. It was grand to finally meet you in Port Rush.

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

dessiesurf wrote: Image

Dessie Mc Glinchey
N.Ireland surf sqaud.
Wow! Got to say, thats about the coolest surf boating pic I have seen ever-100% respect! Wish I had the balls/skill/knowledge/toy to do that-would be worth showing that to a few of the river boys who think class 4 is ggrrr and surf boating is silly;-).

I'm impressed!

Chris.
dam the dart :)

Strad

Post by Strad »

feelingjustfine wrote:
dessiesurf wrote: Image

Dessie Mc Glinchey
N.Ireland surf sqaud.
Wow! Got to say, thats about the coolest surf boating pic I have seen ever-100% respect! Wish I had the balls/skill/knowledge/toy to do that-would be worth showing that to a few of the river boys who think class 4 is ggrrr and surf boating is silly;-).

I'm impressed!

Chris.
I'd like that one as a desktop image, any chance of a higher res version?
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate »

SplitSkin wrote:Ah Peter Holgate strikes again!

The answer is yes Peter, I could make those waves on a ski. In fact I do regularly. This is one of my local spots & I have been surfing here since 1995. The waves that Johnny and Chris are surfing are nothing out of the ordinary for Ireland and this spot can hold a big swell. I'm not going to reiterate what I and others have said in previous post. I dont believe that it will make any difference to your opinion even if I do.

I am struggling to believe that you are actually real. Are you sure your not someone I know trying to wind me up?
Im no troll. I only put that up as a laugh because of your comment
SplitSkin wrote:yep waves, kayaks. Not massive but....What?
When I said "but ..." I should of added words to the affect respect, and rather them than me. Take it easy before we cause a ski / kayak divide. I am glad Jonny on a Ski put his pics up. Good pics worthy of respect!
av.surfer wrote:At last i hope Peter will take a chill pill and end all this tosh talk about big waves and how fast kayaks are, or not!
I've tried to stay out of this topic as i've talked to some guys who've convinced me they're the Kelly Slater of the yak world and once in the water all they can do is the Measteg plough all the way to the beach, also as GG has said my 2ft is someone elses 5ft, Dessie is probably in the best position geographically and from his experience to comment.
I must add i only surf a yak so i would'nt comment on river stuff and i think that some times river dudes catch a 3 ft wave and instead of going straight to the beach (Measteg plough stylee) they manage to get on a shoulder surf the wave and think it must be the biggest fastest wave ever surfed in a boat.

Matt
Matt if you look back I agreed a long time ago that boards were faster because they can be custom made for a job - something too expensive to do for a kayak.

All I did was bring the subject back to the original question by showing a fine video of kayaks on big waves. So I don't need a chill pill ta.

Just to put my side to bed. I think that all have merits, some I find easier to use than others. I don't board surf enough to get "board fit" so get tired quickly after a hard paddle out, Ski paddling uses different muscles to kayaking and I struggled for a few years to get as good on a ski as I was in a kayak then though what's the point. I prefer Surfkayak because I can get far more out of it on a wave in terms of enjoyment and what I can do on the wave. Who really cares what's faster. As long as it's quick enough to surf the life out of a wave then that's enough. Isn't it?

harrysk

Post by harrysk »

Peter Holgate wrote: Matt if you look back I agreed a long time ago that boards were faster because they can be custom made for a job - something too expensive to do for a kayak.
Sorry Peter but I can't let you get away with that. Boards are not faster due to being custom made.

I, and many others worldwide, have made custom made and prototype surfkayaks in an attempt to close the performance gap with waveskis and surfboards. After making many kayaks and a few boards and waveskis and reading about and discussing with the different shapers about their designs I can safely say that we've all proved that the performance of skis and boards can't be matched by a kayak. Surfkayaks can come close (and there's still work to be done) but surfboards will always be fastest, then waveskis, then kayaks - it's just physics, please accept it.

Sure, as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter what you surf but many people look to forums like this one to help them make decisions on what to buy and they don't need to be misled into thinking kayaks are the highest performing surfcraft.

Strad, Here's a link to the high res pic of Dessie:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/212 ... 52_o_d.jpg

Harry

Strad

Post by Strad »

harrysk wrote:
Strad, Here's a link to the high res pic of Dessie:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/212 ... 52_o_d.jpg

Harry

Much appreciated Harry!
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TomWardill

Post by TomWardill »

Peter Holgate wrote:Here you go Chris.

Not the best images but the only ones I have at hand. You can just see the fin boxes in the top pic.
I have been using 2.5 outer and 3" centre fin but it needs much more fin than that.

As you can imagine, wave selection becomes a priority in a boat like this and it's not for everyone.

It would be good for your knees though as you can't move them at all ;¬)

I recognise those swirls.... And that design in fact.... And the name plate, what's it called?
Does the Fantum mold have the fin box in it, or did you persuade him to add it?
Tom Wardill

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate »

She's called "The Compressor"

Dave did the fin boxes because I asked nicely. The whole lay up was done with surf in mind, the inned layer on the hull is pure kevlar with a flow coat over the top so it's smooth for bear feet. The hull and deck are both foam core so it's supper stiff and very light.

It's lovely to paddle ... if not a little commiting !!

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

I gotta throw this in the hat. I've ridden bigger - but not more intense - this spot was EVIL!!!

Ocean Addicts

Post by Ocean Addicts »

Yeah looks eveil alright! Good on ya. Check out the finals day of AWWP Tour in Reunion Island was pretty big too. http://subgraviti.com/reunion09.php
Check out Ozzy Dale Randal pulling into a few close out barrels.

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

Yeah the Reunion Island comp was off the chart. Good to see it in proper waves too. Big and quality is a lot more fun than giant and 'poop the bed scary', at least you can bury a rail and gun for the shoulder eh!
Pipe for me next year all things being good!

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

Happened to come across this image ......not sure how I feel about it...Scared I think is the emotion I am feeling
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

I would say thats gota be photoshopped, except that you can see his reflection in the wave face. Is there a link to a larger, high-res version?

Chris

ricknroll

Post by ricknroll »

chris-uk wrote:I would say thats gota be photoshopped, except that you can see his reflection in the wave face. Is there a link to a larger, high-res version?

Chris

I'd say Photoshopped due to the shadow off the wave and no shadow from the paddler and would'nt the bow be a little lower in the water?

Jonny-the-ski

Post by Jonny-the-ski »

That right there is making me re-think my Pipe plans!!!!

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

chris-uk wrote:I would say thats gota be photoshopped, except that you can see his reflection in the wave face. Is there a link to a larger, high-res version?

Chris

No sorry, that was the bigest I could get at the time,I found it by chance while looking for some images on goggle it could off been several pages in cant even remember what the search phrase was I was useing,

There was some comment about the image been taken from a Sweedish or Norwegen Blog so it wasent the orginal site that I got it from sorry If I can find it again I will update

I dont think its photoshoped since boats got reflection hes got a waketrail behind him, the shadow in the surf is from a sun that is high in the sky and so you wouldnt expet to see the paddlers shadow certinaly not from that distance and angle, my only concers is that he looks very relaxed about the whole thing, if it was me and as much as I know it wouldnt help I would be doing my damdest to paddle as fast as I could in a vain hope of out running it
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Voodoo wrote:I dont think its photoshoped since boats got reflection hes got a waketrail behind him, the shadow in the surf is from a sun that is high in the sky and so you wouldnt expet to see the paddlers shadow certinaly not from that distance and angle, my only concers is that he looks very relaxed about the whole thing, if it was me and as much as I know it wouldnt help I would be doing my damdest to paddle as fast as I could in a vain hope of out running it
That was exactly my thinking.

I think the wave looke a lot like Mavericks? I remember reading something years back about some bloke going out there to surf it in a sea boat, never heard if he was successful...

Chris

renhoek

Post by renhoek »

A seaboat going left at Mavericks? Never. ever. fucking ever.

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

In that pic it looks like he's trying to backdoor it and go right..!

Chris

DominiqueS

Post by DominiqueS »

But isn't the reflection the problem? You would need pretty glassy waters to get such a large and unbroken reflection from afar. How likely in a sea producing such waves? Furthermore, from the camera point of view, the whole surface of the water showing a reflection would have had to be on the same flat or almost flat plane. And finally, how come there is no significant bow wake at what must have been quite high speed, as well as no wake from the bow breaking the reflection? All quite odd.