Anas Acuta...... again^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeD

Anas Acuta...... again^

Post by MikeD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Well, I spent last weekend completing 3 kayaking exams in a very cold Svendborg Sund, on the island of Fyn here in Denmark. All went well, I even managed to score 96% on the theory paper..... totally unheard of for me, my old school teachers would be doing a double take :-)

I completed the weekend in my much used (some would say abused) Quest LV, which I really like. I just could not keep-up with some of the others in shorter more rockered boats, in the tight turns..... to be expected but rather annoying :-) After looking around, and talking to quite a few other paddlers, I have decided to test the Anas Acuta within the next few months. I am wondering if anyone is using the AA for coaching, it would be quite a change from using my trusty Quest LV......

Does it surf well ??

Will it let me sit quietly in F3 - F5 conditions to watch students perform capsize drills / turning ?

Will the boat stand-up to use like a P&H boat ??

Is it fair to use such a manouveable boat to teach from ??

Really I am looking for any feedback on the AA

Thanks
Mike D

PS. Anybody else still waiting for Palm to deliver an Aleutian drysuit ?? I reurned mine last May, only to be told I would be getting a replacment..... I am still waiting and the local water is now around 7C and making a manic dive towards a bighting, freezing winter soup......

Owen

Re: Anas Acuta...... again

Post by Owen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 pm

[quote="MikeD"]

Does it surf well ??

Will it let me sit quietly in F3 - F5 conditions to watch students perform capsize drills / turning ?

Yes,

Yes,

Don't be silly, it'll still be going strong long after your P&H boat is a pile of dust.

I don't see why not.

Will that do?

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

MikeD wrote:
Does it surf well ??

Does it surf well ??
Extremely well Mike. Playfully would be a better description. It will take on big surf with grace & ask for more.

Yes, the hard chines, belly sculpture & low profile make it very stable in pretty much all conditions I have ever been in & sat motionless, more so in chop. It tends to bed down without thrust since it follows an Igdlorssuit philosophy. The most recent conditions I went out soloing in were solid F10 & the Anas just smiled back. I would say with the Anas, the more sea conditions misbehave - the more the Anas enjoys its work.

Very much so. Mine has a kevlar layup & is surprisingly resilient to use & abuse. It also carries itself under load well, although you may find you need to modify your supplies for extended trips. I have never had any problems with, or been let down by, the Anas on extended tours. That also goes for restored 1980's moulds also. Like any kayak, looking after it will always help it's long term performance.

Is it fair to use such a manoeuvrable boat to teach from ??
This for me, is almost the wrong question. Rather than use the SoF, I nearly always use my composite Anas to teach Greenlandic rolling & sea navigation/awareness from at sea, because of that very fact. Secondly becuase I can maintain a higher peripheral access to equipment, but that's an aside. Back on the manoeuvrability issue - I would hate to be in a position where I need 3 miles of turning circle to retrieve a badly capsized student in heavy swell & surf. With the Anas, I can swing alongside in seconds. It responds quickly & with confident positivity.

--------

People will often tell you the Anas is tippy in comparison to many other consumer kayaks. It's certainly no slouch at 52cm wide, but it's a snug fit & a highly entertaining kayak to work with. Also a superb kayak to roll & balance brace with. With experience, it becomes more stable than an original Nordi in some ways, & we all know a Nordi can drive on rails to St.Kilda, but remember, the Anas....is its own horse. :o)

Hope that helps a wee bit Mike.
Last edited by Sgian Dubh on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

MikeD

Thanks

Post by MikeD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:28 pm

Thanks Owen & Sgian,
I were afraid of answers like yours....... now I have to find a way of testing an AA as ASAP :-)

I really like your point about being able to turn & help quicker than in the Quest LV

Sgian are you still using the Richo ?? & any images of the AA for me to admire whilst I hunt for a boat to try :-)

Mike

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:58 pm

Aye, the Ricoh & Rolleiflex are still strong. Many stills [& some film] to come & already backed up, but Mike. I can't put my hand on a new photo moment since I'm away from home on a mission teaching qajaq technique, but I skimmed this from my blog to help inspire. Hope it does. Myself & one of the Igdlorssuit Anas at play:

& this, casual 360 swift turn tuition with a Norsaq & on the rise after drifting with my face in the water wearing jeans & day wear, mobile & wallet - I'm that confident about the Anas & its ability to perform, sea loch or sea. In an extended blether with the late & much missed Mike Thomson, we both concurred that slipping into the Anas is much like slipping on your favourite pair of old trainers :o)

Last edited by Sgian Dubh on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 am

That sounds like the boat I remember!

I have never understood the idea that a certain sized boat is required for coaching, although I can understand why the assistant centre manager told me not to use my squashed spud on sessions - apparantly it looked alarming to the onlooking teachers/parents when I X rescued massive Europas full of water and my boat pretty much disappeared from view....

To my way of thinking an instructor should be in the boat he/she is most comfortable in, it is important to have confidence in your boat and your ability to use it and that comes with comfort.
I had a hell of a job passing my L2 assessment in a Master because I was advised that my spud would be considered too small and I would probably be failed for using it - and seeing how much one of the other candidates had to argue about the size of his Corsica Overflow the advice was correct, just the reasoning behind it was hopelessly flawed. Of course that was many years ago now and the coaching scheme is probably more enlightened.

Try one and see if you like it, they are not everyones cup of tea, but if they are yours it will be love from the start!

Mike Marshall

Post by Mike Marshall » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Sgian Dubh wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Does it surf well ??

Does it surf well ??
Extremely well Mike. Playfully would be a better description. It will take on big surf with grace & ask for more.

Yes, the hard chines, belly sculpture & low profile make it very stable in pretty much all conditions I have ever been in & sat motionless, more so in chop. It tends to bed down without thrust since it follows an Igdlorssuit philosophy. The most recent conditions I went out soloing in were solid F10 & the Anas just smiled back. I would say with the Anas, the more sea conditions misbehave - the more the Anas enjoys its work.

Very much so. Mine has a kevlar layup & is surprisingly resilient to use & abuse. It also carries itself under load well, although you may find you need to modify your supplies for extended trips. I have never had any problems with, or been let down by, the Anas on extended tours. That also goes for restored 1980's moulds also. Like any kayak, looking after it will always help it's long term performance.

Is it fair to use such a manoeuvrable boat to teach from ??
This for me, is almost the wrong question. Rather than use the SoF, I nearly always use my composite Anas to teach Greenlandic rolling & sea navigation/awareness from at sea, because of that very fact. Secondly becuase I can maintain a higher peripheral access to equipment, but that's an aside. Back on the manoeuvrability issue - I would hate to be in a position where I need 3 miles of turning circle to retrieve a badly capsized student in heavy swell & surf. With the Anas, I can swing alongside in seconds. It responds quickly & with confident positivity.

--------

People will often tell you the Anas is tippy in comparison to many other consumer kayaks. It's certainly no slouch at 52cm wide, but it's a snug fit & a highly entertaining kayak to work with. Also a superb kayak to roll & balance brace with. With experience, it becomes more stable than an original Nordi in some ways, & we all know a Nordi can drive on rails to St.Kilda, but remember, the Anas....is its own horse. :o)

Hope that helps a wee bit Mike.
I WANT MY OLD ANAS ACUTA BACK :-(((

MikeM

jan

anas again.

Post by jan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:37 am

Go for the ole anas !

I,m new here -from Holland - but just couldnt resist reacting.

About a year ago i finally laid my hands on a shabby - run down standard (no fittings -hatches etc...) Anas Acuta.

The restoration and fitting of this beauty is a story in itself.
To cut it short (for now) - i now have a perfect looking and equipped boat -complete with anodized aluminium deck fittings - hatches - and bulkheads.

20 odd years ago i started kayaking, and my choice of kayak was good ol, Derek Hutchinsons ICEFLOE ! ?
Beiing 18 years then and weighing 70 kg, i got a lot of kayak for my money.

The somewhat sleeker baidarka soon followed, and this boat i paddled for 10 years - loved it in its own way.

After a short period paddling the Orion, The Anas got in sight - and beeing somewhat biased by its famous history and name - despite its poor condition - i bought her.

After getting used to the snugness - She got me into kayaking seriously again.
Most of my paddling is done in the short steep chop of the Dutch Ysselmeer - and she does that admirably.

Does it surf well ?? Yes - but you gotta keep control.

Will it let me sit quietly in F3 - F5 conditions to watch students perform capsize drills / turning ? Yes - despite hard wind she,ll remain on the spot - nice and low.

Will the boat stand-up to use like a P&H boat ?? Believe me, YES. and shes very repairable due to the nice flat surfaces.

Is it fair to use such a manouveable boat to teach from ?? Thats up to you, - but i think this boat will help you teach.

Hope this helps - Jan

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Is it as ugly as this one Jan? My latest refugee Anas Acuta even came with a free wasps nest in the footwell. :o)

Last edited by Sgian Dubh on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

jan

Anas again

Post by jan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:57 pm

No Sgian, you win !

She wasn,t much better though !
Hull and deck almost separated, bottom looked like a speedway bike warmed its spikes on it. Hole in her side.

Try to post a before and after image - doesnt work sorry

Jan
Last edited by jan on Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Sgian & Jan,

I recently purchased an old AA with a view to it being a over-winter project (I was a bit inspired by Owen's one from a previous blog). It hasn't been chopped about at all so has no bulkheads, hatches or deck fittings. It does have a split in the seam about 1ft long and has been hand painted in yellow. Apparently the original gel coat was pretty tatty so presume not worth stripping it back to that. What would you recommend doing... sanding the painted coat back and then spray it to get a good smooth finish? What sort of paint?.... All a bit new to me so I don't want to hash it up and end up having to re-do it.

Rog.

jan

Post by jan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:16 pm

First of all congrats - you bought yourself an excellent boat.

My guess is that it depends on what you want, do you want to retrofit her with bulkheads - fittings and hatches ? I did that and don,t regret it.

Or do you just wanna give her a cosmetical boost, wich is understandable as well. The AA looks great the clean way.

Remember : cutting hatchways gives you great acces to the boats innards.
very usefull taping the inside seams with glassfiber/epoxy.

Rear hatch no problem on the flat deck, but the front hatch ! here i had to make a female mould for a neat recess.

Would like to tell you about it Rog. no use inventing the wheel twice.

i,ll see what you want, Jan

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:13 pm

The split seam is fairly close to the coaming so easily accesible from the inside so for the moment I just want to do the cosmetic stuff. I have an Alaw Bach that I use for general paddling so the AA would initially be just for messing about in to see how I get on with it (and an ocean cockpit). I can put airbags in to start with and may consider putting in a bulkhead behind the seat with a hatch in that so that there is floatation and storage but, really, at the moment with the bad colour and brush marks I just want to make her look a bit prettier (she deserves it !!).
One of my friends has a professional automotive sander which would seem the best way to take the old paint off I guess.........

Rog.

jan

anas again.

Post by jan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:19 pm

Youre right, best thing to brighten her up is start sanding....... after consulting a kayak dealer here, i started rather coarse until i removed about half the layer thickness of gelcoat.A large part of the scratches and spiderwebbing will be removed by this. the trick for neat results was then applying 2 liberal coats of epoxy primer.
After ample curing time i started sanding this from coarse 120 to fine 400(automotive sander will do very nice) until you see the gelcoat "shining" through.
A good choice for topcoat would be 2 part polyurethane paint - this stuff has given me great results. It attaches to the epoxy very strongly - and is pretty scratch resistant. it is however very thinnish and tends to run (drip) very fast. 3 sparingly applied layers proofed enough for me.
Sounds like a lot of work, but it will be worth your while.

Go for it ! Jan

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:37 am

I had a similar issue with a painted Nordkapp HM. When I carefully used a specific paint stripper for GRP I discovered a perfect gelcoat, which only required extensive love and polishing. If you grind the gelcoat before exploring beneath the paint , you could be irrevocably damaging a classic. Details of my renovation are at http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... renovating
Nick

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:25 am

Jan & Nick,

thank you both very much, very helpful replies. Almost finished the loft so the AA is next on the 'to do' list. I am sure I will be resurecting this thread at some time for more info.....

Rog.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:51 pm

We have a club one - it's one of the very early ones, probably
thirty five years old and going strong. Maybe it doesn't get a
huge amount of use, but I do try to give it an outing as often
as possible. I added bulkheads and hatches a couple of years
back, so it is less of a liability after a wet exit than it used to
be. Someone drilled holes in the aft deck for deck lines and
tried to just seal them in with bathroom sealant, so it leaks
rather badly playing in surf, but that's not the fault of the boat!
People will often tell you the Anas is tippy in comparison to many other consumer kayaks.
That's because they have not got used to the idea that there
is initial stability (which is what you feel on first encounter) and
secondary (or final) stability. The Anas has a huge amount of
the latter and can be cranked round turns almost on its side
without going over. The large rocker does that. I use two
boats of the same beam. My Cormorant is tippy, and
I imagined the Anas would be similar. No way - it's beautifully
un-upsettable whether moving or stationary. If it has any fault,
it is that the deck is a bit high at the front and the gear space
is limited (mainly because I put the bulkheads in to allow for
tall paddlers). For daytrips, its the perfect boat :-)

Andy

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Yep, follow Nicks procedure, the tatty gelcoat may need nothing more than a good polish, but when people don't realise that they paint over it. You will probably need to do some filling and colour matching but unless the gelcoat has fallen off or has extensive osmotic blistering I have never seen a condition so bad it couldn't be polished up.

Jim

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Sounds like it could be like opening a Christmas present...... very slowly !!!

Rog.

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Just back from thying the Anes Acuta....... I think I am in love.... again :-)
The weather was cold & grey with mirror like water, fine for playing around with bow-rudders, stern-rudders, sweeps & rolls, all I have to do now is wait until we get some wind & waves to test the elegant lady in...... and if I order before new year I will save a little......

I will order with the forward bulk-head moved to use it as a foot rest, gaining me valuble packs space.... can I pack for a 10 day trip ??????

Mike

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:18 am

MikeD wrote:I will order with the forward bulk-head moved to use it as a foot rest, gaining me valuble packs space.... can I pack for a 10 day trip ??????

Mike
I couldn't, I think Sgian does and others here probably do too so it depends on how and what you pack and how much you weigh to start with.

I could probably pack for a lightweight trip (no beer and calculate food and fuel rather than guessing and erring on the 'extra' side) and physically get it all in, but if memory serves I can't add much weight before the stern is awash, which would not be ideal for a long trip. Of course it is so long since I paddled an AA I have no idea if I am heavier or lighter now....

Jim

al27

Post by al27 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm 100kg, and the back deck is pretty much awash with no kit....

Al.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 am

al27 wrote:I'm 100kg, and the back deck is pretty much awash with no kit....

Al.
I'll need to pack helium sandwiches for lunch then!

al27

Post by al27 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Its worth remembering that a good bowel movement can weigh the same as a small flask of coffee ;-) .....

29er

AA for heavyweigth paddler

Post by 29er » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi al27
I plan to be down to around 95 kgs after a long winter of indoor rowing and xc-skiing, and I have ordered an AA for delivery in february. Can you tell me a little on how the AA behaves with your weight on board? I have not tried the AA yet, but I am used to the old Nordkapp classics (1979 hs with OC) and old style slalomkayaks.

My touring kayak now is the Nordkapp std with keyhole cockpit - really a wonderful kayak:)

Sincerely,
Harald

al27

Post by al27 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Harald.

Its worth pointing out that the Anas is only low volume in terms of the low cut deck. The hull profile is comparable to any full volumed kayak of its length, and therefore handling is predictably similar. Its once you get into the interesting stuff that the Anas shines, as its naturally a better fit for controlling it, and you can get much closer to the back deck for rolling and playing. Its not as twitchy as the Nordkapp, but the trade-off is that its not as fast. It never will be either, as you are constrained by the low deck from getting any height on the seat which rules out the sort of decent marathon stroke you can get out of a Nordkapp (for example). In terms of speed it hits a natural barrier a lot more abruptly than the Nordkapp, which for a bit more effort will go a bit faster; The Anas despite the effort just won't be driven any faster. Because of my (our ) size, it is a bit of a wet boat as it tends just to go through waves rather than over them.

Top boat; enjoy

Al.
Last edited by al27 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:46 am

The AA that I have for restoration does not have any footrests but has fibreglass slats sticking out on each side with holes in. These would seem to be a bit of a liability as they are just in a position to dig into feet and also to burst any floation bags wedged down the bow. Did any of you encounter these and did you cut them out (and presumably fit a bulkead or foam block footrest). Don't want to wedge myself in the front with a dremel to hack them out until I am sure that is the thing to do......

Thanks,

Rog.

al27

Post by al27 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:03 pm

No mine has the slats and bar. As far as footrests go its awfull, but it hasn't ever got to the top of my list of things to do; its a bit of a pig of a job!!

Owen

Post by Owen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:12 pm

rockhopper wrote:The AA that I have for restoration does not have any footrests but has fibreglass slats sticking out on each side with holes in.
Rog.
Do you mean like this:

I cut them out with a hacksaw blade and finished off with a surform plane. The polystyrene block and the brackets holding it went the same way. I put in kepper footrests as I had an old pair in the garage; but there not the best. I really must get a "roundtoit" and finish off the front hatch and bulkhead.

Owen

Re: AA for heavyweigth paddler

Post by Owen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:24 pm

29er wrote:Hi al27
I plan to be down to around 95 kgs after a long winter of indoor rowing and xc-skiing, and I have ordered an AA for delivery in february. Can you tell me a little on how the AA behaves with your weight on board? I have not tried the AA yet, but I am used to the old Nordkapp classics (1979 hs with OC) and old style slalomkayaks.

My touring kayak now is the Nordkapp std with keyhole cockpit - really a wonderful kayak:)

Sincerely,
Harald
I'm only around 80kgs (only he says!) but I have had mine loaded up for a weekend.
Waterbag = 5kg
Tent = 2kg
Sleeping bag and mat = 1kg
Trangia etc = 1kg
Food ~ 2kg ish.
Dry cloths ~ 2kg
Plus my normal kayaking kit so that must add up to around 95 - 100kg. At that weight I could feel the difference from paddling it empty but it didn't have a big effect.