SHORT SEA BOATS

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
John N

SHORT SEA BOATS

Post by John N » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm looking for reccomendations ref. 'short' sea boats. The sort of thing I have in mind would be good for estuaries and simple sea work but not to big for club members to use regularly on the non tidal Thames. Boats like WS Tsunami, Dagger Charleston, Perception Carolina etc. Boats that will introduce enthusiastic club members to the sea and leave them wanting more.
I'm hoping to use advice offered to pitch for some of these boats as an alternative to the club's more usual fare of GP / WW boats.
Whilst here, I'd like to thank forum members and others for earlier encouragement and assistance / guidance that got me on to the sea. This enthusiasm has rubbed of on a few others and there is a slight possibility that Marlow Canoe Club may yet get a sea paddling chapter.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Post by soundoftheseagull » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:06 pm

My ever first kayak at a ripe old age was the Perception Carolina, loads of room, comfortable and the stability of a country pubs dining table.
It was the bottom rung of my ladder in sea kayaking and my only regret is that I sold it.
Dave

Rockpool GT

TimL@Pyranha

Venture Easky

Post by TimL@Pyranha » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Before you buy anything else check out the Venture Kayaks Easky range. Most canoe shops in the south stock Venture Kayaks.

http://www.venturekayaks.com/page1.php?Page=57

Cheers
Tim
Venture Kayaks
Tim
Pyranha
Runcorn

YvonneB

Post by YvonneB » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:47 pm

I had one of my first sea kayak paddles in an Easky 13 with Ollie Sanders, (well Ollie was in another boat) . I think it is a great beginners boat, very confidence inspiring and easy to learn to edge.

hellenback

Post by hellenback » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:56 pm

I've got a Dagger Charleston

I really enjoy it but it it's limitations are now becoming apparent as my skills have improved through some ww kayaking. It now seems quite sluggish, though it is very stable.

So long as I'm in a pottering about frame of mind it's great but as soon as I feel I want to pick up the pace it's hard work to get much of a wiggle on.

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:50 pm

I paddle with guys who have Easky 13 and Easky 15. Both are very good boats, though I would favour the 15 for your purposes.
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Cadair

Necky Zoar Sport

Post by Cadair » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 am

My first boat was a Necky Zoar Sport bought from Decathlon on sale for £450. I LOVE it. It's 14ft, comfy, stable, has lots of storage and a rudder. It gave me great confidence on the water that was sadly dented when I bought a Nordkapp LV (pictured left with me in it in its usual position!). Perseverance and a week with Phil Clegg at SKUK fortunately remedied most problems but I will keep the Necky as a buddy boat. Still use it lots though, especially when wandering out alone. Recommend it very highly.

Mikebelluk

Post by Mikebelluk » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

I have a P&H Easky 15' which is great for days out rockhopping, and well worth keeping an eye out for on eBay as a second boat.

Redtear

Post by Redtear » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi,

I'm just bumping up from a Perception Carolina and have no complaints with it. Very stable boat, looks and feels good. The Carolina is classed as a tourer, but it's up there in the top of the pile. If your considering the carolina, go for the Exp model with sealed bulkheads, sea boats should be sealed front and back. Although I think it may be standard with the new models.

If your looking for club sea boats the North Shore Atlantic sport RM is probably about the best value for money sea boat around at the moment. Around £725 for a 3 layer boat. It's pretty basic, but as a club boat, it's worth considering. If your buying in bulk you could get that price down I'm sure.

If your hoping to buy a couple of the same boats then you should buy different lengths if they are available. Generally different lengths are made to suit different paddler sizes, so for a club, you want the variety the model has to offer.

You won't find much info about them(apart from from ;) the sellers) but the Point 65 North range seems fantasticly good value, try the canoe shops main website. There are a few branches down your way.

If your looking to convert your club to sea then direct them http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/ or http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=30875

Best of luck,

Gordon

corgimas

Post by corgimas » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:11 pm

rockhopper!!!!!rh340!!!! a blast...super stable...paddles great...quite comfortable....
r

ga2.s

Post by ga2.s » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:31 pm

I have a easky 15 too. Love it to bits, i even manage to get enough stuff in it for week long trips.

Peter M

Post by Peter M » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 pm

No one seems to have mentioned the Aquanaut Club a good all round boat specifically designed for this purpose

GeoffBowles

Post by GeoffBowles » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:15 am

Hi John,

For a short sea boat I can firmly recommend my Necky Manitou 14. I've talked about it in the past (though not recently) so a search of my previous posts should dig out more details. Suffice to say it's stable, comfortable, easy to manouevre, has storage capacity for overnight trips, is perfect for rock hopping and very seaworthy in some quite big seas!

You may remember me saying that I use it on the Thames when I can't get to the coast. In fact I used it this morning to paddle from Bourne End past Marlow to Harleyford Lock and back. I thought I might see your chaps on their Sunday morning paddle, but there were no signs of life by the Marlow club gate.

I was glad to hear you've been getting in some sea miles. We'll have to get together for a trip to the seaside some time!

Needless to say, you're very welcome to try out my boat - even if it's only on the Thames.

Geoff

John N

Post by John N » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:46 pm

Carolina's and Easky's are getting good reports at present, and the North Shore looks good (well they all look good) but some look better than others. Once a budget is approved I'll be rounding up some easy going types to try a few models out where ever I can locate demo's. Somebody else mentioned the manitou, so I'd be interested in trying it out one morning Geoff. By the way, many of the club were at the NENE, whilst most of the rest were checking out, as a favour, Goring to Pangbourne for a forthcoming publication. Had you gone a little way past Harleyford you would have found me at the hut by Hurley lock enjoying a large slice of coffee and walnut cake - and coffee. A reccomended Sunday stop. By the way, when you Harleyford lock do you mean the one downstream of Harleyford (Temple lock) or upstream (Hurley Lock).

GeoffBowles

Post by GeoffBowles » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:17 am

Hi John,

I should have checked the map - it's called Temple Lock, so I'm not sure why I called it Harleyford Lock! Actually I rarely do the stretch between the Hurley and Temple locks, as my normal put-in is Ferry Lane at Medmenham, and I tend to paddle up to Henley or Sonning then back down to Hurley, depending on time available. Spade Oak is OK as a put-in in the winter, but parking's a problem when a warm sunny day brings out the crowds. There were several canoes out on Sunday, but very few kayaks

What's the parking and river access like at Pangbourne? I like that stretch of river, but the last time I was in that area I struggled to find river access at Goring so I used a put-in at South Stoke and paddled to Wallingford and back instead

I should be around this coming weekend. Any plans?

Geoff