Island Kayak Expedition^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Barnacle Bill

Island Kayak Expedition^

Post by Barnacle Bill » Thu May 15, 2008 10:08 am

Does anyone have any experience of an Island Expedition Kayak?

Has anyone got an Island in Dorset Devon Cornwall Somerset or Hampshire that I could have a go in ????

Thanks BB

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Thu May 15, 2008 8:11 pm

You are welcome to try my Expedition but, unfortunately I live in South Wales.
If you do a forum search there are a couple of threads relating to this boat, one very recently.
The only adverse comments I have read concern the back rest which has now been removed from the newer ones.

It is difficult for me to write a review about the boat because I have only paddled a few Sea Kayaks so I cannot draw many comparisons.
I recently switched from an Expedition LV to the full size one. I bought an LV because the review I read prior to my purchase said that it was a large boat but at the Symposium at Angelsey it looked no bigger than most of the other full size models. I was never comfortable in the LV because my legs felt too flat, the full size boat suits me much better. I had a problem with weathercocking the first time I paddled it, but I now think that was my inexperience in this type of boat.
Judging by the two paddles I had at Angelsey I would say that it was a fast boat. It easy to catch a wave with it either in a following sea or surf.
I would definately recommend the boat.

Anything else I can help you with let me know.

dunskeig

Post by dunskeig » Mon May 19, 2008 5:33 pm

I tried the island kayak & didn't like it at all. I found the foot position uncomfortable, the boat seemed unstable for me, and the waves all seemed to catch on the front deck & hit me in the face. However, the guy paddling with me liked it. I thought is was simply too big & so tried the LV, but found that uncomfortable small.
I' m hoping to get a tiderace instead

colinb

Post by colinb » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Does anyone kno wwhat deck fits an Expedition LV? I am going to try one at the weekend and need to know if I should pack a keyhole deck or a large (creek boat) deck?

Cheers
Colin

dougal

Post by dougal » Tue May 20, 2008 1:54 pm

I've got the full size and my girlfirend the LV. You'll need a "large" deck for either. I've a fairly small river deck which I can just squeeze over mine. Haven't had enough opportunity to use the boat to really comment on how it performs but hope to remedy that soon!

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 pm

My Expedition has developed a crack in the bulkhead joint just in front of the seat. This apppears to be due to the boat flexing in this location and also because the seat is not glassed to the hull.
This results in water flowing from the cockpit into the day hatch.
The dealer says he has never seen this before but, my son has just bought an Expedition and his has the same crack and this was before it even went on the water.
Anyone else had this problem? if so how did you fix it?

OGB

Post by OGB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Have you thought of using a smear of Sikaflex?

I have a "new model" Expedition, and I felt the seat was a little high if the boat is paddled empty. Since I do a lot of solo paddling, I wasn't entirely happy with this high CofG, so I cut the entire seat out, dropped it to within 1cm of the hull and glassed it back in again. The glass tape sealed the front edge without a problem, so that's another alternative.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 pm

I haven't thought of anything yet so any suggestion is welcome.
Good effort on taking the seat out of yours, I would not have the bottle to do that. How did you glass it back in?, did you go at it from the day hatch side?
Thanks for your interest.

OGB

Post by OGB » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Good effort on taking the seat out of yours, I would not have the bottle to do that. How did you glass it back in?, did you go at it from the day hatch side?
Not really difficult. A 30-day job...29 to think about it and pluck up the courage, and a day to do the actual work. A dremel tool with rotary cutter is essential, a Powerfile to take the front edge of the seat down and after that it's all about fabricating some support for the glass tape to bridge the gap. I used aluminium "speed tape" - first layer put in from the dayhatch side, and a second layer to cover the exposed "sticky side" on the seat side of the job. Glass tape applied on the seat side in the usual way. 2 layers at 90 degrees, finished with tissue with some black gel colour in the mix. Speedtape removed from the inside once the glass had gone off.

I had a few pinhole leaks which can only be found by filling the dayhatch with water and lifting the stern. These were filled with Sikaflex since I didn't have access to a workshop/glass/warmth at the time.
The result is a much more stable boat, room for a more "knees up" position and - I think - better contact with the underside of the deck. I needed lots of padding at the hips too.

You lose the 5cm or so of underseat space, but the only thing I could get in there was a water bag and I needed easier access to that anyway.

All the above could be dispensed with if you're prepared to load up with ballast every time you go off for a short trip, but I'm not.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:22 am

OGB wrote: glass tape to bridge the gap.

So you would have had to seal the joint where front lower part of the seat meets the hull which is where mine leaks. I will give that a go.

The result is a much more stable boat,

All the above could be dispensed with if you're prepared to load up with ballast every time you go off for a short trip, but I'm not.
I find the boat a bit tippy at times due to the initial stabilty or lack of it. This is not really a problem unless I am taking photos or attempting to fish. This sounds like the same thing you experienced too.

avo

Island kayak expedition

Post by avo » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi

I have an expedition and experience weathercocking in certain wind conditions, more so when I'm tired, It does seem that i'm always veering off to port. I would be intersested in how any of you get around this, I've tried ballast but am still experimenting.
Any suggestions ?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Are you using the skeg? The boat will weathercock into the wind - it's meant to. The skeg will help control that.

If you tend to constantly veer to the same side then it's likely you've got a more efficent stroke on the opposite side and/or are tending to lean slightly to that side.

Mike.
Last edited by MikeB on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:39 pm

I suggest you use the skeg and edge the boat towards the wind.

fneedle

Post by fneedle » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:00 am

I only did a demo on Brookbanks open day,so my opinion is very limited,but for what its worth!-I had previously ran my fingers over the gelcoat in the shop many times and was hugely impressed with the finish and build quality and was looking forward to trying it as I was after a composite at the time.On the water it was very dissapointing initial stability was awful,secondary marginally better,it felt like it needed really loading up,but we dont always want to do that do we?The backrest was this most hideous of contraptions best left for a medievel torture chamber!how anybody could live with that is mystery to me.Ijust thought the whole boat was awful,at the time the Quarsuut was on offer @ 900 quid so I was very interested[it was too small anyway]The next boat i tried was the Northshore ,I thought this was better in every way save the hideous grahpics,comfort,stability,feel.It is true to say that you really need to try before you buy

OGB

Post by OGB » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Sounds like you've been looking at last year's model. I understand that Gavin (of IK) got the message about the backrest loud and clear, and has not fitted it to his boats since then. Mine was fitted with one, but he sent me a replacement "original" rest and all the bits needed to fit it free of charge.
Having looked at other Expeds, it appears that the seat height was also raised (as in my boat), which will make the newer boats more unstable than the older versions, so be sure you know which one you're in.
I also had some problems with the skeg which Gavin was most helpful in resolving. I know that we should expect a faultless product all the time, but if things do go a bit wrong it's reassuring to have such rapid reaction and helpful attitude. Full marks for after-sales service.

kembiff

Re: Island Kayak Expedition

Post by kembiff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Im having a problem with the skeg on my newly (second hand) opurchased island exped LV. It is not keen to deploy. Anyone else ever had this problem?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Dont know whether the skeg on these boats is wire or cord operated, but might this help?

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:28 pm

It sounds like it could be the same problem I have just experienced.
Does the skeg deploy if you push it down manually? and then come back up when you use the slider?
If so then the outer cable has become detached from the block in the deck. To check this you can get your fingers to the rear of the block through the day hatch.
If you can pull the outer away from the slider block then that is the problem.
To cure it you have to refix the outer cable. Mike has suggested glassing it back in but there is not a lot of space in there and I am not sure what sort of fix you will get on the plastic outer.
So I went looking for Sikaflex but I could only get a Bostik/Unibond equivalent in BQ which also sticks when the surfaces are wet. That seems to have worked but I want to leave it a bit longer before I put it under strain.

Next job is to take the inner out and clean it as described in the Almanac.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I've succesfully used Alaldite to secure a cable sheath which had flexed away from the hull - some judicious use of electrical tape and "blu-tac" helped create a sort of mould to stop it all running down the hull.

I'll be interested to hear the result of the Sikaflex alternative.

If you do pull the cable, can you let us know the length, how it's secured to the slider and how it's fixed into the skeg please?

Regs, Mike.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Mike the cable is 1595 mm long (difficult to measure being a cable)

The front fixing looks standard with a 3mm allen key grub screw.

The rear fixing is a 2mm allen key grub screw.

This is the stuff I used. The skeg is working fine now. I wonder if it actually does work under water.
Last edited by jamesl2play on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NigelR

Post by NigelR » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:58 am

I used to have a lot of problems with the skeg being very stiff, particularly after I "adjusted" it. Having returned it to it's previous condition, I found that squirting a Teflon based bike chain lubricant (thin and not greasy!) down the ends of the cable sleeve every 4-6 months makes it work like a charm.