Peak UK Freeride deck + Mega Mustang = no chance

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Gary F

Peak UK Freeride deck + Mega Mustang = no chance

Post by Gary F »

Hi all,

Well, as I posted just the other day I got one of these decks...very nice it is too. The problem is that the drylip extends over 50mm from the shockcord and will not, under any circumstances fit properly onto the cockpit. The front end cannot clip onto the rim due to the massively excessive bulk of the elastic/dry lip/release tab combo, the sides cannot fit under the rim due to the space taken up by the drylip and the rear is pretty much the same as the front only the joint in the shockcord provides even more problems!

I know from recommendations that this deck does fit a composite mega cyclone; are the decks of that and the Mustang really that radically different?

My next obvious question is what is the best alternative in a Riot sized deck? Palm/Playboater don't seem to do Riot sizes anymore...heeeeeeeeeeelp!

jw

solutions

Post by jw »

Two options:
1. The deck you have is for a plastic boat. Trim off all the excess lip and you have a deck for a composite boat
2. Go to www.chillcheater.com, phone and buy a neoprene deck (or aquatherm). Chris Reed has all the Mega cockpit sizes and their patterns. I think a Mustang is what Reed call K1 size.

John

younggun

Post by younggun »

It depends on the space you have between the cockpit rim and the actual body of the boat. These can vary between models.
I would trim the neoprene rim until it fits.
Reed decks are good although liable to implode, especially on hot days.

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Get a Palm "Roto 3" Sized deck. You should find that about Riot sized.

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

Stretch the deck they are tight to start with, get the back end under the cockpit rim and leave it on for a bit, the more you use it the easier they become to put on.

younggun

Post by younggun »

Chris C wrote:Stretch the deck they are tight to start with, get the back end under the cockpit rim and leave it on for a bit, the more you use it the easier they become to put on.
That's not the point. The problem is that there is too much material on the deck and in the dry lip so that it won't fit under the cockpit rim.

Chris C

Post by Chris C »

Young gun I have been using this deck on many surf kayaks no problem from the Jester Titan, cyclone, through to the newer reflex, neutron mavericks etc with out a problem!

If you are struggling Peak make their standard deck in a riot size

Gary F

Post by Gary F »

Hi Chris,

Trust be on this one, Younggun is right; I'd need a rubber mallet to get the shockcord & drylip under the rim (and the bow is much worse with the inclusion of the pull tab). The deck itself is not too tight at all...just right actually but the space available under the cockpit rim is very restrictive though, as someone has already intimated, this deck is really for a plastic boat.

All the best,

Gary F

p.s. Can you adjust the Mega fitted hip pads or do you just stick some foam on top?

surfkayaks.com

Re Hip Pads

Post by surfkayaks.com »

Hi Gary, Your Mustang doesnt have seperate hip pads, they are an integral part of the seat, to make seat narrower simple peel the sides down, put some padding behind and glue back into postion.
Malcolm