Sun block

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Peter M

Sun block

Post by Peter M » Fri May 09, 2008 1:11 pm

I’m sure that we have been here before but now that the weather is finally picking up. Has anyone suggestions for waterproof sun-block that wont run into your eyes, as soon as a sweat is built up? And were to get it?

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Fri May 09, 2008 1:34 pm

I don't any sun cream/block; horrible icky stuff that ends up on everything...

...so I use a combination of a standard Buff UV (coolmax fabric) and a Buff UV neoprene visor thing (same fabric) instead...

...end up looking like a ninja/terrorist, but the sun takes no prisoners and you can dunk both of them in the sea and use the evaporation effect to cool off...

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Fri May 09, 2008 2:00 pm

I use Himaya...
http://www.himaya.com/

waterproof, sweatproof and doesn't make you look like you have just been irradiated.. pukka stuff.

Rog.

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Fri May 09, 2008 2:34 pm

I use sunsense after suddenly becoming allergic to suncream. This particular one is such high factor that you don't need to reapply. They do all sorts of special Aussie stuff so have a look round the website - they seem to do some kind of watersports gel.

Strad

Post by Strad » Fri May 09, 2008 2:44 pm

I tend to use the nivea one http://www.nivea.co.uk/products/show/11394 in factor 50. Just a thought following an incident quite a few years ago, if you aren't wearing a top - just a pfd then don't forget to lotion your arm pits, very painful when burnt.

I tend to paddle in a long sleeve rash vest or similar since then.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

draddogjd

Post by draddogjd » Fri May 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Boots Soltan Extreme F40 is good - use it when skiing too. Extra water resistant.
Mind you forgot it last week and went quite red apart from white sunglasses shaped bit!

Mike Marshall

Post by Mike Marshall » Fri May 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Dont do sunblock.
You need Vitamin D and it is produced in the body from sunlight. Obviously to overdo it is stupid.
Ironically (or not) Vitamin D protects you from the Sun and when your body has taken enough of it, it wont take any more.
Another thing to watch out for is the wearing of sunglasses, this fools the eyes into thinking that its not sunny. The eyes are the receptors to the brain and as a result you will not produce a natural protection (seratonin, I believe?). A recent bulletin passed around pharmacies.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022889.html

Quote:
"Did you know that according to a June 2007 study (1), not getting enough direct sunlight increases our chances of cancer by at least 70%? Why? Because our bodies need natural sunlight to synthesize adequate amounts of vitamin D in order to keep our bones strong and healthy, as well as support the immune system."

I wear a hat and nothing else. It aint natural ;-)
I guess the hat isn't either...LOL
As well as paddling gear of course:-)

MikeM
Last edited by Mike Marshall on Fri May 09, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

younggun

Post by younggun » Fri May 09, 2008 4:55 pm

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Aloe-Gato ... /Item/164/
I use this when surfing, its very good.

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Fri May 09, 2008 4:59 pm

It is highly unlikely that you will end up with a Vitamin D deficiency or some mood crash because of lack of serotonin because of a combination of sun blocks, UV blocking clothing, and sunglasses.

I probably got a massive serotonin boost this morning/noon because I was paddling about in full sun without having to worry about sunburn or cataracts and really enjoying myself, and I easily made enough Vitamin D during the hours before and after taking to the water.

*CI*roo*

Post by *CI*roo* » Fri May 09, 2008 5:21 pm

P20 works well as you only have to put it on it the morning and it'll protect you the whole day even if you're swimming. But u gotta stand there and wait for it to dry before u put clothes on or it'll stain them.

Twix

Post by Twix » Fri May 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I am very pale so I use http://www.pizbuin.com/summer_suncare_one_day_long.jsp
in factor 30.

It is quite thick but it does last all day even swimming.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Banana boat has worked for me in much more intense climates than ours, wiggle sell it these days.

Put some on before you launch and rubbing your hands with sand is a good way to get rid of the slippy feeling. Re-application at sea makes many nervous because of slippy hands but it is usually fine.

Also get 'warpaint' sticks made for fashion victim skiers, it's like a big lipsalve (or pritt stick) so you can apply it to your nose and ears (even cheeks if they stick out and burn) without ever getting it on your hands. If you are a photographer you will know when it needs reapplying because it will stop getting on the back of your camera....

Also, moisturise frequently when off the water. This is a good idea in the winter too since the salt and wind can dry your skin out Some people have even started claiming one brand keeps midges away to get around some bizarre stigma they seem to have attached to moisturising. :-)

Jim

Peter M

Post by Peter M » Mon May 12, 2008 2:39 pm

As usual all good advice, liked the terrorist look but in the end went for P20 lotion from ASDA. Hideously expensive at nearly £13 for 100ml but used sparingly, I’m most impressed. Single application, no slimy hands or running in the eyes and it works. About four and a half hours on the water in full sun on Sunday. The only redness is a small band below the edge of my sleeve where I had not applied any lotion.