Kayak Surfing info required. . .

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Gary F

Kayak Surfing info required. . .

Post by Gary F » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Well, while I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my composite surf buggy I've been trawling the net looking for good instructional/technique type websites (or indeed anything else that may be of use).

What sites can you guys recommend so that, when I finally hit the beach, I'm not as totally ignorant as I am at present.

Cheers,

Gary F

journeyman

Post by journeyman » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 pm

might find these of some interest
BCU Surf website
surf etiquette

younggun

Post by younggun » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:18 am

Not a site, but get the Kayak Surfing book by Bill Mattos or Simon Hammond's book. Both give good advice on etiquette and technique although Bill Mattos's book is slightly more advanced. Well worth spending £10-15 on.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 am

There is a little bit of information on http://kayaksurfing.co.uk

It is also definitely worth reading the Information section on the BCUSurf web site, some useful stuff in there.

I also agree with YoungGun on the books, they are none too shabby.

Finally, welcome to the family, surf kayaking is an awesome sport and it is good to have you with us.

Denzil

Surf or Die

Post by Surf or Die » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:09 am

I have both books and am willing to part with them. pm me if interested.
Andy

Daddy tell me about girls?

Son, one day you will make a girl very happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you and be with new men who are ten times better than you could ever hope to be.

These men are called kayakers.

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Both the book in Youngun's thread are good. Very different though Bill M takes a more modern Zen appraoch to paddling.

Try Goatboater.com

Good place to start.

Dan-0

Post by Dan-0 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:28 pm

Try some of the wave-ski sites, especially if you want to see some more exaggerated moves, have a look at this one:

waveskisurfingaust.com/The%20Sport/Waveski%20Moves

Dan

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Cheers for the help chaps! Some really useful stuff in there....cannot wait to become a Goatboater just hope the surf starts to roll in.

One last question. How do you best launch with fins. A lot of ouyr beaches are stoney/have rocky shores. What's the best way to both launch AND land again?

Cheers,

Gary F

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Oh, and another one; the favoured paddle length seems to be 180-185cm but what feather do you guys use? I'm guessing that playboat-like sub 30 degree would make the paddle out a nightmare.

Cheers,

Gary F

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:28 am

My blades are 178cm with 20 degrees, never had a problem.

Chris

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:58 am

I use 188cm 45 degree feather H20 team cranks, this is a bit of a compromise really as I use one set of paddles for all my paddling.

As for landing all I can really suggest is trying to find somewhere vaguely sandy to launch from and if landing on rocky shoreline get out of your boat in knee deep water and carry it in.

Denzil

Gary F

Post by Gary F » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Cheers for that guys...my plan is to get my splits (currently 196) and reduce them to say 188 and then gradually trim them down until I hit a length that "feels right" and experiment with feather angles too.

One thing I have noticed (I think) in various videos is that the blades are used in a low brace rather than stern rudder. Is this to provide support when leaning way out?

Bod

Post by Bod » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:21 pm

A surf boat is different to a round hulled boat. With a round hulled boat you might use a stern rudder and opposite lean to stay straight-ish. IF you do a stern rudder with the corresponding opposite lean in your surf boat you will engage the wrong edge and discover the effect very quickly.

Bill Mattos covers this in his book very nicely. I am fairly sure it is lesson 1.

I read the book first but still tripped up over the wrong edge. Soon got the hang of it though.
John B.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Bod wrote:I read the book first but still tripped up over the wrong edge. Soon got the hang of it though.
Tripping over the wrong edge and getting power flipped is all part of the fun of learning to surf ;D

Denzil

P.s. I still trip over my edge form time to time, although generally not on bottom turns these days ;P

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Gary F wrote:Cheers for that guys...my plan is to get my splits (currently 196) and reduce them to say 188 and then gradually trim them down until I hit a length that "feels right" and experiment with feather angles too.

One thing I have noticed (I think) in various videos is that the blades are used in a low brace rather than stern rudder. Is this to provide support when leaning way out?
Surfing is all about speed. The other problem with the stern rudder is that it causes a lot of drag and you lose the speed you (probably ) just worked hard to get!