MEGA SPRAYDECK RECOMMENDATIONS ANYONE?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
small_numbers

MEGA SPRAYDECK RECOMMENDATIONS ANYONE?

Post by small_numbers » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:23 am

Having bought a shiny new mega Merlin thought i'd treat her to a new spraydeck. What are people using out there and what should be avoided?

I have a Playboater Kevlar deck for a plastic river boat but not sure this would be suitable as it takes 10 minutes and several numb fingers to get it over the plastic cockpit. Any advice?

Cheers, Joel

younggun

Post by younggun » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:33 pm

I use one of the peak uk decks without the dry lip. its great. Standard riot size fits well. Maybe try Reed or the new DB xclusive deck - http://www.dbxclusive.co.uk/surfMain.htm

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:17 pm

I use a Peak UK freeride deck riot size on my reflex, stays put and the boat is very dry at the end of the session. You do not need Kevlar on surf decks as it doesn't stretch also could be worth trying a Nookie surf skirt.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 am

Personally I tend to go for a dirt cheap nookie shock deck and some liquid latex from the local art shop. Paint a ring of latex around the outside edge of the underside of the deck (4-5 coats) and another around the inside top of the body tube. Dirt cheap and very dry.

Denzil

small_numbers

Liquid latex?

Post by small_numbers » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:56 am

Hi denzil.

Cheers for your answer.

do you find that this is enough to keep the majority of the water from passing down between the waist of the deck and your wetsuit? Also, where on earth do you get such stuff?

Cheers, Joel

younggun

Re: Liquid latex?

Post by younggun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:17 pm

small_numbers wrote:do you find that this is enough to keep the majority of the water from passing down between the waist of the deck and your wetsuit? Also, where on earth do you get such stuff?
Get a cheap belt from somewhere to do up around the deck, works wonders for stopping water getting in and kedeping the deck up when getting a beating. Liquid latex is available from most art shops.

small_numbers

Cheers Chaps(esses)

Post by small_numbers » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

Cheers for all this. guess i'd better steal one of my girlfriends painting brushes.

Joel.

av.surfer

Post by av.surfer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 pm

The latex works a treat, a top tip!!
I wear a rash vest over my wetsuit and deck and this stops a fair bit of water going down the tube and stops the tube rolling down when you get a bashing.

DaveDP - GSY

Post by DaveDP - GSY » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

Anyone kno if the nookie surf skirt will fit on a reflex, what size cockpit is it?
Cheers