Orchestrated campaign to post photos of us ripping it...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Veedurb

Orchestrated campaign to post photos of us ripping it...

Post by Veedurb »

chris-uk wrote:Maybe we should start an orchestrated campaign to post photos of us ripping it at breaks across Devon and Cornwall, to counter-act this crap?!?
I'll kick this one off!!

Paignton

We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

younggun

Post by younggun »

I think Denzil may already have tried this - http://magicseaweed.com/community/viewt ... =4&t=11391

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

All very well meaning, but when are kayakers going to accept the blatant truth?

It's totally meaningless how cool we appear to be in the surf, or how cool we think we are. Surfers see us all as the same, regardless - basically as a very unwelcome bottom tier of the foodchain.

Accept it - they hate us. They don't want us there. Often with good reason, sometimes not. But who cares? We don't have to gain their respect to enjoy our sport.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

av.surfer

Surf

Post by av.surfer »

[quote="
We don't have to gain their respect to enjoy our sport.[/quote]

Well said!!

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

MarkR>
We don't have to gain their respect to enjoy our sport.
That Magicseaweed thread makes me realize, I would not want their respect anyway. It was a somewhat depressing read, no wonder there are wars.

At Troon where I windsurf, I have never once come across a similar attitude between windsurfers and kitesurfers (who both use the same beach) despite potential for conflict.

It seems to me (in the 1970s I went to see Crystal Voyager 3 times in the Hillhead Salon!) that despite its "purity", surfing has attracted more than its fair share of people with pretty myopic views of the world.

Douglas

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio »

I read the first page and a half, cretin central....I've registered with MSW a year ago, think I'll start just posting sea/surf kayaking photos to wind them up!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb »

Am I the only one with some cool pics then? That's all I wanted.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

spade

Post by spade »

journeyman

. . . together in harmony.

Post by journeyman »

Not sure if a SOT counts. Does it?

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

Surfers (well some of them) have a bad attitude to other water users. Short boaders dont like long boarders and vice versa. No one likes body boarders and they all hate kayaks and wave skis. Let them fight amongst themselves and just be happy that we can catch waves they cant.

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

This reminds me a bit of similar threads about anglers on the inland thread. There is a comparison: Anglers and board surfers!
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

JonC

Post by JonC »

Mark R wrote:
Accept it - they hate us. They don't want us there. Often with good reason, sometimes not. But who cares? We don't have to gain their respect to enjoy our sport.
Mark.

I think you are underestimating a lot of surfers and in particular the guys who are regulars at their own breaks.

There is a lot of companionship out there; quite chats waiting for a set, hooting each other into waves and genrally keeping an eye out for each other when things get hectic.

Hate is a strong word and it is only used in this context because of the mindless ranting on MW chat rooms (probably by 'weekend warriors') and also by the ignorant actions of some boaters.

Cheers

JC

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb »

More Paignton

Perranporth

Sennen
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Nice one veedurb!!! I'm at work at the mo, so can't post any pics, but I'll stick some on later.

As for the 'surfer - kayaker' debate, as I've said before, as long as I come in happy with what I've done then anything else is irrelevant. That said, where would the black americans be if Martin Luther King said 'just live with it'...?

I have a dream...

Chris

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb »

Fair one Chris! At the end of the day we are here for a good time, not a long time (quote the late Colin McRae) so lets just get out and enjoy it. If all parties could do their best to minimise bad relations with the other then that's all that can be reasonably asked for. Let's rip!
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

hoolabloom

some pics

Post by hoolabloom »

Image[/img]

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Mark R wrote:All very well meaning, but when are kayakers going to accept the blatant truth?

It's totally meaningless how cool we appear to be in the surf, or how cool we think we are. Surfers see us all as the same, regardless - basically as a very unwelcome bottom tier of the foodchain.

I would probably class myself as a board surfer more than a goat boater. I started surfing a kayak but just got addicted to board surfing 4 or 5 years ago.

But I agree, the surfing community seems to have so many people that just hate hate hate, it's not just kayakers, it's pretty much everyone, immigrants, tourists, learner drivers, caravaners, to name a few.

I find it a very bizarre commuity and to be honest my only friends who are surfers are also heavily invloved in other sports or came to the sport later in life so tend to be a little more open minded. I've never been able to connect with pure surfers because there's just so much stress and ignorance to being a surfer.

Truely bizarre for a sport that is portrayed as a cool relaxed sport but that's so far from the truth.

younggun

Post by younggun »

Mark R wrote:All very well meaning, but when are kayakers going to accept the blatant truth?

If you read Denzils post on Magicseaweed, some of the surfers are genuinely impressed with goat boaters. Some goats (Darren Bason, Chris Harvey etc) can turn up at any spot and make the majority of surfers look stupid. Also, it is play boaters they don't like, bouncing around everywhere and wasting good waves. They do appreciate that some people try to surf well.

Strad

Post by Strad »

steddyjames wrote: .....hate, ..... caravaners....

I think to anyone that's driven in devon/cornwall in holiday season will see hatred of caravans as completely justified (except other caravaners). Even my wife likes nothing better then to blow up caravans on top gear interactive.....

Personally I think caravans are fine, but should only be allowed on the roads between 1am and 6am :)....
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Threads like this really piss me off. Don't bite on the boardy forums it just encourages them. Most boardies are crap anyway. And a plastic river boat is so slow that a half decent boardy will run rings round you, literally. I really don't know what the problem is.

Just be considerate, get out there and have fun, and learn waves.

There. I've just added to the ire.

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

younggun wrote:Also, it is play boaters they don't like, bouncing around everywhere and wasting good waves. They do appreciate that some people try to surf well.
And thats wasting good waves because... why now?

bigd942

Post by bigd942 »

Don't think I've saw it mentioned here yet but any boaters here try board surfing? I'd say I'm still early days but I can stand up and if I get an ok day can get a good run, think I'll spend the summer getting better and save the kayak for the bigger days when I can do more.
I can tell you that it's bloody hard work on a board, learning to surf in the kayak seemed a fair bit easier to be honest so I've new found further respect for surfers, some must have a very good level of fitness to stay out for three hours.
Sitting in the boat on the surface I'd no idea how much rips effected you, timing, position and even how your positioned on the board are all far more critical, I'd say if anything I'd now give board surfers a bit more room as I know it ain't easy. I'm lucky, I've a couple of beaches 5mins away and know 99% of the people I meet there have travelled 40+ mins to surf, for me if I sit and miss a few sets or something its no big deal, nice hearing those yipeeeeeeeeeeeee's and the like from a guy that may have grabbed a few hours away from a busy home life, kids etc.
I'd the pleasure of sitting in the lineup a few weeks ago and seeing a former world hp champion board surfing, he was pretty good, caught a fair few good waves and looked like he's well on the way to becomming a really good board surfer. He reached the top of the tree as far as kayak surfing goes and is happy enough to sit in the lineup on a board with other boardies, how many here can say that?

Dom

storm

Post by storm »

In my opion the main problem with non surf specific kayaks eg playboats is that they are looking for different things out of the wave,which in turn causes friction whithin the lineup,for example the playboater will get most out bounce manouvers on the whitewater,and possibly letting the greeen of the wave go unridden which is obviously frustrating for surfer.Ive surfed croyde for 25years and never encountered any problems with surfers and would class myself as a surfer with an intresting form of equipment,but i aggre surfers do like to have a moan,and they are all felling a little confused with the popularity of of stand up paddle surfing i think the heat mayby of you for a while.
Steve

LegendaryJ

Post by LegendaryJ »

Haha, I love these discussions! 99% of boardies are cool, its the minority, so the answer is to act as big a dick as possible towards the 1%. Normally their not local, so two things happen, 1) they leave or 2) they kick up and give more abuse, at which point you get your boyos in the water to back you up! it's all good!

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

and is happy enough to sit in the lineup on a board with other boardies, how many here can say that?
I can't anymore, because a horrific accident left me unable to use my legs to the extent that I could no longer walk, let alone board surf. I gave up Rugby, Cycling, Running, Surfing, and general outdoor lifestyle, despite at the time being a (board) surfer of more than ten years.

So here I am, ten years later, having spent eight years surfing kayaks, facing prejudice in the line-up from ***** who don't have half my problem, and why? Because I can't stand on a board anymore. I have no respect for prejudiced pricks like that, whatever they ride.

The people I respect are the one's who earn it...

Chris

P.S. I am walking again now, it took me four years to master that, but I still use a stick for anything more than walking out to the car, and there is no way I could get back on a board.

Strad

Post by Strad »

bigd942 wrote:Don't think I've saw it mentioned here yet but any boaters here try board surfing? I'd say I'm still early days but I can stand up and if I get an ok day can get a good run, think I'll spend the summer getting better and save the kayak for the bigger days when I can do more.
I can tell you that it's bloody hard work on a board, learning to surf in the kayak seemed a fair bit easier to be honest so I've new found further respect for surfers, some must have a very good level of fitness to stay out for three hours.
Sitting in the boat on the surface I'd no idea how much rips effected you, timing, position and even how your positioned on the board are all far more critical, I'd say if anything I'd now give board surfers a bit more room as I know it ain't easy. I'm lucky, I've a couple of beaches 5mins away and know 99% of the people I meet there have travelled 40+ mins to surf, for me if I sit and miss a few sets or something its no big deal, nice hearing those yipeeeeeeeeeeeee's and the like from a guy that may have grabbed a few hours away from a busy home life, kids etc.
I'd the pleasure of sitting in the lineup a few weeks ago and seeing a former world hp champion board surfing, he was pretty good, caught a fair few good waves and looked like he's well on the way to becomming a really good board surfer. He reached the top of the tree as far as kayak surfing goes and is happy enough to sit in the lineup on a board with other boardies, how many here can say that?

Dom
I board surf as well as kayak, my wife is a boardie rather then a kayaker (she is constantly poiting out that surfers look far fitter then kayakers in their respective gear :) ). Both our kids lean more to boarding at the moment but are still on skim boards / body boards.

I'm also thinking about trying some kite surfing lessons too.

As long as we're having fun on the beach, and showing respect to the other beach users too, what craft we use doesn't matter a monkeys...
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Mike Marshall

Post by Mike Marshall »

You get back what you give out.

Go out with attitude and you'll get a response to match.

Go out without attitude and you'll get along fine.

My best mates are boardies and we ALL share the fun, look out for each other and surf in harmony.

MikeM

Mark99

Post by Mark99 »

Strad's wife has the answer. Boardies are cooler cos they have all those cool Animal & Roxy clothes N stuff! Kaykers of any type can never beat that

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Go out with attitude and you'll get a response to match.

Go out without attitude and you'll get along fine.
Not always the case unfortunately, I don't know a single soul who would accuse me of having 'attitude'. Despite this I have taken shit from 'surfers' for simply being in the water in a kayak.

I do get more positive comments than negative now though I think. Someone mentioned stand-up padlling, and between that and kitesurfing, plus all the other disciplines, I think most boardies are realising they'll be very sad angry people living very sad angry lives if they continue to rail against all other surfers.

I firmly believe that we are all looking at the minority of people who behave like idiots, wether on a board or in a kayak, but that doesn't make their behaviour any less frustrating for us normal folk.

Chris

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Mark99 wrote:Strad's wife has the answer. Boardies are cooler cos they have all those cool Animal & Roxy clothes N stuff! Kaykers of any type can never beat that
We can:

Kayakers use Paddles,
Paddles are simmilar to Sticks,
Sticks are derivitives of Clubs,
Cavemen used Clubs to beat other Cavemen,
thus kayakers could beat surfers.

or let kayakers=k, surfers=s, cavemen=m paddles=p, sticks=k beating=b and clubs=c

ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly