Playboat for 17.5 stone person ideal for the surf

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:14 pm

younggun wrote:Krikitwars, there is a fine line between enjoying yourself and causing a nuisance and danger when you surf playboats. All I did was make the suggestion that a surf specific boat would be far better than any playboat and you immediately threw your toys out of the pram. Grow up and keep out of posts where you have nothing positive to contribute.
Actually, I did agree with you, tacitly.

You didn't say that a surf specific boat was better, you dismissed playboaters out of hand, whilst suggesting a surf boat, or thats how it came across.

Morover, as a user of the surf, in a playboat, if not an avid surfer, I'm fairly sure I have a valid reason to contribute.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

younggun

Post by younggun » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm

TheKrikkitWars wrote:Actually, I did agree with you, tacitly.

You didn't say that a surf specific boat was better, you dismissed playboaters out of hand, whilst suggesting a surf boat, or thats how it came across.

Morover, as a user of the surf, in a playboat, if not an avid surfer, I'm fairly sure I have a valid reason to contribute.
Sorry, I appear to have misunderstood you.

I did dismiss playboats out of hand, if you are surfing in the sea then you can't get anything better than a surf boat. If getting a boat to surf, I don't understand why you would even look at a play boat?

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm

younggun wrote:
TheKrikkitWars wrote:Actually, I did agree with you, tacitly.

Sorry, I appear to have misunderstood you.

I did dismiss playboats out of hand, if you are surfing in the sea then you can't get anything better than a surf boat. If getting a boat to surf, I don't understand why you would even look at a play boat?
I'd say that if you don't surf often enough to justify another boat that you can only use surfing, a fast, hard carving playboat is a good second route. there are a couple about that do this really well too (just none big enough for a 17.5 stone chap).

Joshua Kelly

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 pm

I wont a play boat that surfs well and one that I can use on the rivers.

younggun

Post by younggun » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Exeter Boater wrote:I wont a play boat that surfs well and one that I can use on the rivers.
Thats a contradiction in terms. They both use different design features for their intended purpose, so neither will do the other well.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm

younggun wrote:
Exeter Boater wrote:I wont a play boat that surfs well and one that I can use on the rivers.
Thats a contradiction in terms. They both use different design features for their intended purpose, so neither will do the other well.
There are plenty that offer a reasonable compromise, the fast Riot boats, or the Necky range, being the best examples. But accepting that a hard edged playboats are much less forgiving and loose for rivers, and that loose hulls and, chined edges will make for less fun (and are arguably less safe) in the surf, is necessary.

Joshua Kelly

younggun

Post by younggun » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm

TheKrikkitWars wrote:There are plenty that offer a reasonable compromise, the fast Riot boats, or the Necky range, being the best examples. But accepting that a hard edged playboats are much less forgiving and loose for rivers, and that loose hulls and, chined edges will make for less fun (and are arguably less safe) in the surf, is necessary.
They are fast compared to other playboats and on river waves, but so, so slow when compared to a plastic surf boat. I would say that the fastest playboats could not keep up at the majority of surf breaks.

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:53 pm

but do they need to, are they still capable of catching a wave and riding the pocket and having fun - yes. It's just that many of the pilots haven't been taught that there's more to surf then a straight line....
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Jamie Adam

Post by Jamie Adam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Younggun, I think you are missing a few points here; many people cannot afford two boats, and will cope better in a boat they feel familiar with. That doesn't have to be a short, bouncy playboat - it might well be a long slicey playboat like an S8, which does very well in the surf in fact. Putting people into a surf boat which they have never paddled before, and then onto the surf into which they have never been before, would be a recipe for lots of swims for many, I suspect.

It is sad that "99.9%" of the playboaters you have seen do not play by the rules, but I do not believe for one second that that is the case everywhere. I will repeat my view that everyone has a right to surf whatever they like, wherever, provided they do so responsibly.

I also feel you are rather rude to suggest that others have 'nothing positive to contribute' when you don't exactly sound positive yourself. Nor is it polite to assume that others have no idea what they are talking about, when in fact you may have no idea of their ability or experience.

Jamie

av.surfer

Playboats for the surf

Post by av.surfer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Most of the playboats now cost around £800 why not go for a good condition second hand playboat there are always loads for sale for around £400 and get yourself a second hand surfboat that will suit your size, just a thought??
I use a surfboat in good conditions and paddle it amongst surfers with no worries or hassle, And a playboat when its shitty and its done well away from my normal surf spot (on the same beach) in a surf boat, its all about having fun in the water and getting as much expirience as you can in different boats some of the skills can be transfered across from playboats as some of the moves being pulled in surfboats are really 'freestyle like' stuff on ocean waves.

younggun

Post by younggun » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Jamie Adam wrote:Younggun, I think you are missing a few points here; many people cannot afford two boats, and will cope better in a boat they feel familiar with. That doesn't have to be a short, bouncy playboat - it might well be a long slicey playboat like an S8, which does very well in the surf in fact. Putting people into a surf boat which they have never paddled before, and then onto the surf into which they have never been before, would be a recipe for lots of swims for many, I suspect.

It is sad that "99.9%" of the playboaters you have seen do not play by the rules, but I do not believe for one second that that is the case everywhere. I will repeat my view that everyone has a right to surf whatever they like, wherever, provided they do so responsibly.

I also feel you are rather rude to suggest that others have 'nothing positive to contribute' when you don't exactly sound positive yourself. Nor is it polite to assume that others have no idea what they are talking about, when in fact you may have no idea of their ability or experience.

Jamie
'Provided they do so responsibly' - something overlooked and ignored by so many.

There are surf boats such as the neutron and impulse that are designed for people making the transition from river boat to surf boat and have a traditional seating position.

As far as I can tell, you have just slagged me off in this post and not contributed anything to the discussion, positive eh?

spade

boats

Post by spade » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 pm

How can anyone say a playboat performs well in the surf because they simply don't, do they ever have rides like long boarders & body boarders let alone short boarders, It is the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
A good surfer will have different boards/ fins etc for different types of waves and the conditions that effect them, so why do kayakers seem to think they can use one boat for them all? Don't give me the i cant afford it because surf kayking is no where near as expensive as ww.

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:00 pm

I haven't seen anyone claim a playboat performs anywhere as near as good as a surf boat, but you can still have fun, or more importantly be in control and show at least some respectable wave style.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

birdie

Post by birdie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I think some people are missing what the original poster asked.

I reckon that most people appreciate that surf specific boats are going to be best for surfing. There is also a difference between knowing the rules and not which is another can of worms also.

If you live near decent surfing beaches then you are probably more likely to buy a surf boat. For me, I can't justify a surf boat living in Sussex because local surf is very unpredictable and I don't want to have to re-learn how to use a surf boat (swim :) ) the couple of times it is decent locally.

I find my I3 is good ( for a non surf boat) in the surf and easy to paddle. The Outlaw and Juice are apparently quite good.

Cheers

Simon

TheKrikkitWars

Re: boats

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:13 pm

spade wrote: Don't give me the I cant afford it because surf kayking is no where near as expensive as ww.
I have £400 to spend, I can go ww paddling three times a week, and surf once a month. Do I:

1) Buy a second hand playboat, knowing it will allow me to run moderate rivers, playboat, and surf to an ok standard.
or
2) Buy a second hand surf kayak, and resultingly paddle only once a month, my overall standard of paddling drops, and I become more of a liablity than if I were in a plastic boat.

Do you all have money to burn, or does living near good reliable surf make you forget, that some of us are further away, or have much less reliable surf conditions?

Joshua Kelly

kayak1

Surf/Playboat

Post by kayak1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Having being told buy a Chap in a Surf kayak, that trying to surf in a Playboat and Doing Surfboat Moves i.e. Carving Hard and Getting Reasonable Rides looked silly, and that we were all Muppets for Trying to Copy a Surfboat. Made me think! This guy was just sitting there in his Boat waiting for the perfect wave to Appear (Which he seldom Caught) while we Mortals in our playboats were catching anything and having a really good time, Spinning, Carving and Genaral Playboating moves and still Surfing......Errr Enjoying Ourselves! which is what kayaking is all about. I must add that most of us Own a Surf kayak or have access to one if we want to, and are Aware of Wave Selection and all that stuff!
But find a Playboat more versatile in the Fun Department. I Agree that you must Respect other users of the Surf, but lucky for us, our Beach does allow us plenty of Space and Breaks for Everyone. The Surf Specific boats are Faster and Better, but I think that for many people its just a matter of getting on the water with like minded guys and getting a life. And not making a "them and us" attitude like we have seen with other Surf Craft Users...we all like what we do and there are a few out there that think a Surf kayak is a licence to own the waves, just as there is playboaters that think they are above everyone else... Similar to the Chap that I mentioned at the start of my Bit.

I would suggest to anyone who likes surf and playing, who is a larger Framed Guy to try the older play boats out there....Necky Zip, Dagger Redline, Wavesport Score or Inazones etc all very good surfable boats.

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 am

I think we just have to accept that some people are obviuosly "considerably richer[better] than yooooou!!!"

Shut up and surf (responsibly)...

Chris