Playboat for 17.5 stone person ideal for the surf

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark Allen

Playboat for 17.5 stone person ideal for the surf

Post by Mark Allen »

Im looking for the above, What do people recomend?

bigd942

Post by bigd942 »

Dragorossi Thruster

I'm 98kg approx, 6'2" and I've tried my fair share of boats. Foud the Thruster to be the fastest of all the boats I tried in the surf (Wavesport T4, Dagger Rx, Dragorossi Stinger (what a ride in that thing, bounce--------bounce-------bounce!)

The Thruster moves round fast enough and catches waves easy enough as well, I reckon few playboats actually carve accross the face of a wave like a proper surf kayak but I felt relatively in control with the Thruster, where I pointed it, it tended to go. Pyranha 7-0 I also saw go very well in the surf, quite fast, maybe faster than the Thruster by a bit.

Dom

younggun

Post by younggun »

If its for the surf, get a surf boat. Megatron at your weight. Play boats are for the river, not the surf.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

younggun wrote:If its for the surf, get a surf boat. Megatron at your weight. Play boats are for the river, not the surf.
Ok, so what about the Squashtail or the Element? For that matter, what about the person who can't justify more than one boat?

Aren't you being a bit conceited? Essentially telling someone what they can do?

(I happen to agree, a playboat isn't as much fun for proper surfing, but this bloke seems to know what he wants, and presumably has weighed up the benefit of having a surf boat, against the use it would get and decided that a playboat he could use elsewhere too)

Sorry this is a bit OT, but I felt it had to be said.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

bigd942

Post by bigd942 »

Both the Fluid Element and Dragorossi Squashtail your to heavy for by a good bit - both are for around 90>95kg at the max - nothing to stop you trying though, Fluid are to do a Large Element and they seem to have a reputation for making boats that can float the heavier paddler so it may be something to look into, see when they are putting it into production.

I've a Mega Merlin and DB Fusion and both leave the Thruster way behind in the surf, nothing compares to them to be honest, playboats in general don't carve too well on ocean waves, they shuffle sideways more it seems. The Element vid Fluid had up a while ago looked good and I see they added fins to it also, similar to the Squashtail.

Only problem I've had in big surf (6ft+) is I found a playboat not as safe as a proper surfboat. In the Merlin etc you can outrun a big wave when you see the section in front starting to close out, just turn to the beach and the wave close's out behind you no prob's. In a playboat the wave in my experience tends to close out on your head as you don't have that extra speed or control. Also the take offs are quite late on a playboat, the short hull means your almost vertical pointing downwards and it can be quite a hairy moment staring at a 10ft drop.

Dom

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio »

A Dagger Honcho should fit the bill, got one for sale ;-) oh, Exeter? a bit far really...!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

bigd942 wrote:Both the Fluid Element and Dragorossi Squashtail your to heavy for by a good bit - both are for around 90>95kg at the max - nothing to stop you trying though, Fluid are to do a Large Element and they seem to have a reputation for making boats that can float the heavier paddler so it may be something to look into, see when they are putting it into production.

I've a Mega Merlin and DB Fusion and both leave the Thruster way behind in the surf, nothing compares to them to be honest, playboats in general don't carve too well on ocean waves, they shuffle sideways more it seems. The Element vid Fluid had up a while ago looked good and I see they added fins to it also, similar to the Squashtail.

Only problem I've had in big surf (6ft+) is I found a playboat not as safe as a proper surfboat. In the Merlin etc you can outrun a big wave when you see the section in front starting to close out, just turn to the beach and the wave close's out behind you no prob's. In a playboat the wave in my experience tends to close out on your head as you don't have that extra speed or control. Also the take offs are quite late on a playboat, the short hull means your almost vertical pointing downwards and it can be quite a hairy moment staring at a 10ft drop.

Dom
I was only really replying to Younggun, he has a point (mainly because the only fast, carving playboats I can think of are too small (Crazy 88, Vibe, Orbit Fish) and/or out of production (Air 60) )

If Fluid are able to cost justify bringing the Element L to market, you'll be onto a winner in 12 months time!

Joshua Kelly

councildog

Post by councildog »

I thought a Mega Neutron would be able to handle a 17.5 Stoner

Without needing to sell a kidney to pay for a MEGATRON.

surfkayaks.com

You could also condsider}

Post by surfkayaks.com »

A Scarab.

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Two questions:
I've a Mega Merlin and DB Fusion
How do the two boats compare?
I thought a Mega Neutron would be able to handle a 17.5 Stoner Without needing to sell a kidney to pay for a MEGATRON
No way you'd put someone 17.5 stone in a Neutron, but did you not know that both boats cost the same?

Chris

surfkayaks.com

And also}

Post by surfkayaks.com »

A large Impulse if you want a more playboat type feel.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen »

Good info so far, thanks. Just to be a bit more clear, Im not looking for a out and out surf boat, more spercifically a plastic play boat that surfs well. Ive currently got a dagger g-ride 6.5 and its too slow.

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

chris-uk wrote:Two questions:
I've a Mega Merlin and DB Fusion
How do the two boats compare?
I thought a Mega Neutron would be able to handle a 17.5 Stoner Without needing to sell a kidney to pay for a MEGATRON
No way you'd put someone 17.5 stone in a Neutron, but did you not know that both boats cost the same?

Chris
The megatron is not available in plastic so you don't have the option of an fairly cheap entrance into surf kayaks if you are bigger. I am about 14 stone and think I am on the upper side of the weight for a neutron.

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking in plastic!!!

Chris

jimdriftwood

big playboat

Post by jimdriftwood »

I have a project 62 for sale, great condition and suitable for the larger gentleman! I brought it after domoing it in the surf where it put me in the air with the greatest of ease! It's not fast, but then neither are any plastic playboats compared to dedicated surf boats, but you can paddle rivers in it too! Too much sea kayaking and creeking means i'm not using the project, yours for 450 ish.

Mark Allen

Re: big playboat

Post by Mark Allen »

jimdriftwood wrote:I have a project 62 for sale, great condition and suitable for the larger gentleman! I brought it after domoing it in the surf where it put me in the air with the greatest of ease! It's not fast, but then neither are any plastic playboats compared to dedicated surf boats, but you can paddle rivers in it too! Too much sea kayaking and creeking means I'm not using the project, yours for 450 ish.
Have you any photos? Where are you bassed?

mole

Post by mole »

The Dagger Honcho should be able to float you but you are near the top of the weight allowance. It surfs very well for a plastic boat and is fast on the wave. Due to the slicey ends its very stable on end when playing on rivers and its a capable river runner.

It is not the most radical of boats but I loved mine and still miss it.

Neill
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

I have a big ronin did not like it on uk rivers

Took it down the savage coast with me last year, and once I got it on the big waves down there it came in to its own.

Top boat for the surf very fast up on the plane

Dave
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

younggun

Post by younggun »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:
younggun wrote:If its for the surf, get a surf boat. Megatron at your weight. Play boats are for the river, not the surf.
Ok, so what about the Squashtail or the Element? For that matter, what about the person who can't justify more than one boat?

Aren't you being a bit conceited? Essentially telling someone what they can do?

(I happen to agree, a playboat isn't as much fun for proper surfing, but this bloke seems to know what he wants, and presumably has weighed up the benefit of having a surf boat, against the use it would get and decided that a playboat he could use elsewhere too)

Sorry this is a bit OT, but I felt it had to be said.
Its not being conceited, its a fact. Aren't you being a bit conceited telling me I can't recommend a surf boat? I wouldn't take a surf boat on the river, so don't take a river boat in the surf. No playboat is fast or surfs well (exception being squashtail and element but they are out of the weight range).

And krikkitwars, when you live by the beaches and see hoards of play boats turn up and bounce all over the place, I think you have a right to say this. You don't live near the best surf beaches (in my opinion) and have probably never been surfing, so keep out of another matter that you know nothing about. Just post where you have something useful or relevant to say (obviously very rarely) and in this case, your comments aren't.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I don't think there will be any plastic boats out there that will be suitable for the surf at your weight range. A composite megatron would be far better than any playboat.

Jones Chris

Post by Jones Chris »

If you cant fit or find a Squashtail too small - try the big one!

Give Jon a shout as he now imports the DR boats (or at least has contacts - I forget) and get a factory pumped one. Loads of room for me at six two and around 15 stone. Very very fast (enough to outrun a closing face anyway) and really good fun on any river wave.

If you are after more of a playboat then try a Fish - DR will pump one of these too if you dont mind waiting a bit. Probably the fastest playboat out there and fast enough to outrun most stuff, its not as fast as a Squash but its fast enough most of the time.

Chris
Not sponsored by DR but a friend of Jons and a big fan of the Squashtail and Fish.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

younggun wrote:play boats turn up and bounce all over the place
I turn up with a playboat and bounce all over the place.

It's great fun, I commend it to you.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

spade

dragorossi

Post by spade »

Dragorossi boats are literally the worst ever. I owned one and everything just broke on it, they are also no where near as good performance wised as they are hyped up to be. You really need to get a Surfboat.

bigd942

Post by bigd942 »

wow, seems as hot a topic as ever the old playboat v surfboat! I have both and I'm a fan of both, where board surfers have their "quiver" I have mine and a playboat is for the days when the surf's a pile of foam with faces dumping all over the place, is great just getting out to be honest after being stuck in a 9>5 all week.

As for the Merlin v Fusion. I've had the Fusion for about a year, it's a good boat, very well built by Dave and super light. When it's sat beside a Mega boat it's almost like Borg engineering versus something that's been crafted by a man with a background in sculpture. The Fusion I found totally unforgiving, slip up and you'll very quickly find yourself faceplanted into the wave, I had to move to a Gath helmet as my ears were taking such a pounding getting slapped. However, once I got the total feel of it, it's a great little boat. I remember thinking a bit more rocker on the nose and it'd be near perfect for me, and that's where the Merlin came in. The first few trips in the Merlin and that's what I thought it was, a Fusion with more rocker, I wasn't used to the high knees again and it's a bit heavier than the Fusion so I noticed that more as I've a fair walk to my local spot. Then over Christmas I was out in the Merlin and it clicked, I got on a sweet 3ft right and I remember looking down it thinking I'll never make it, but when on the rail the boat flew, no way the Fusion would have made it so I knew then the two were different. If you loose an edge the Merlin is much more forgiving, more user friendly if that makes sense.

Since then it's continued to impress me every time I've had it out. I took the backband out and just use the seat with a lapbelt and its great, Malcs build quality is great as well, I've no idea how they seam the two halves together, how they do the nose on the Merlin is indeed magic. For me I'd say the Merlin is as close to my perfect boat as I can get, can't think of anything I'd change except that in the summer I may try a higher seat and that's it.

As for the above comments on Dragorossi, I've still to see any proper footage of a Squashtail carving an ocean wave - even a straight down the line run I've never saw, I've asked a couple of times on the Dragoboard but none was ever posted. Personally I just can't see them doing very well as they just don't have the length or the rail, I have Chris's old Thruster and I find it faster on a wave than anything else I've tried as far as playboats go but to be 100% honest, I thought it carves about the same as my old T4. There is some impressive footage of Corran on river waves carving back and forth, just not sure how much that changes on an ocean wave. Maybe the speed required for going back and forth on a 20ft wide standing wave is much less than is needed to nail it down the line for a 30>40m run on a typical UK wave.

Dom

Jamie Adam

Post by Jamie Adam »

I'm with MarkR.

Younggun - the sea does not belong to you. Others are perfectly within their rights to take any manner of craft into the surf zone, so long as they use them responsibly. Everyone has to learn somewhere, and opportunities for learning in playboats are far greater than learning in surf boats, which are harder to find and much tippier initially.

I would suggest looking at the Jackson Superfun, or Pyranha Recoil L, both of which carve really well. And bounce, if that floats your boat!

Jamie

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Jamie Adam wrote:Others are perfectly within their rights to take any manner of craft into the surf zone,

I think this is where the prejudice comes from, while I am all for anyone surfing whatever they want I think a prejudice has built up about playboats in the surf from the number of people that use the playboats irresponsibly in the surf and therefore give kayaks in the surf a bad name.

Now I am not trying to say anything negative about taking a playboat into the surf, whatever you want to surf is up to you, just make sure you obey surf etiquette and treat others with respect and everything is good.

Have fun out there no matter what you surf and stay safe,

Denzil

P.S. I do also agree though that no playboat comes anywhere close to the performance of a surf boat but if you are going to take a playboat out you are best off in one that is optimised for wave performance with hard carving rails.

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb »

I learnt in the surf in a MI370 slalom boat and then playboats before finally moving onto surfboats. I wouldn't go back as now I've been bitten by the surfboat bug. This isn't to say playboats aren't welcome in the surf but, as said previously, they need to be used responsibly as ALL craft do. For those who haven't tried proper surf craft - do it. You will probably have to give it several goes to get to grips (stick with it) but once you do, may you never look back... ;-)
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Thanks bigd, really interesting reading your comparisons.

Chris

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

younggun wrote:And krikkitwars, when you live by the beaches and see hoards of play boats turn up and bounce all over the place, I think you have a right to say this. You don't live near the best surf beaches (in my opinion) and have probably never been surfing, so keep out of another matter that you know nothing about. Just post where you have something useful or relevant to say (obviously very rarely) and in this case, your comments aren't.
Maybe you're right, maybe you should tell everyone who wants to find a big fast wave to piss off because you're local, and you're boat is the right type.

Oddly enough, I'm not near the best surf, however I have been out in 4-5 foot surf which was something of a baptism of fire. Personally I found that whilst carving about the face and all the rest was good fun (and kept other surfers happy)... when was alone on the break I enjoyed using the energy of the wave to let me pull moves (or give it a damn good try) for which there are no "normal" waves big enough near me. Now I made sure there was no-body else out, didn't break any etiquette's and had fun is that so bad?

Yes I'm sure playboaters can be a pest when you want to carve about ectcetra, but that doesn't make it right for you to condemn them all for enjoying themselves now does it?

Joshua Kelly

chris-uk

Post by chris-uk »

Yes I'm sure playboaters can be a pest when you want to carve about ectcetra, but that doesn't make it right for you to condemn them all for enjoying themselves now does it?
Only if said playboaters aren't behaving in the manner you have described for yourself, and said playboaters are infact dropping in on the shoulder when someone else is in the pocket, then telling the person who just got creamed that they have as much right as everyone else to be there. If I pull out infront of someone in my car, and they then hit me, I won't expect to be telling the other driver that it's their fault because I have as much right as them to be on the road, I will accept that it's my fault for not obeying the rules (laws) of the road. Just because the rules of surfing aren't written down, and aren't legally enforced, doesn't mean they don't exist, and if ALL people entering the surf would realise this it would make for a safer and more tolerant line-up.

Chris

younggun

Post by younggun »

Jamie Adam wrote:Younggun - the sea does not belong to you. Others are perfectly within their rights to take any manner of craft into the surf zone, so long as they use them responsibly. Everyone has to learn somewhere, and opportunities for learning in playboats are far greater than learning in surf boats, which are harder to find and much tippier initially.
I'm not saying the sea belongs to me, but 99.9% of all playboats I have seen in the surf drop in, paddle out in front of surfers, run over everything in their way on their way back in and waste decent waves. I agree everyone should start somewhere, but plastic surf boats such as the maverick and neutron are a far better learning platform than a playboat, and cheaper.

Krikitwars, there is a fine line between enjoying yourself and causing a nuisance and danger when you surf playboats. All I did was make the suggestion that a surf specific boat would be far better than any playboat and you immediately threw your toys out of the pram. Grow up and keep out of posts where you have nothing positive to contribute.