Help with info about Granta / Granata kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NeilG

Help with info about Granta / Granata kayak

Post by NeilG »

I posted this yesterday on the inland forum, but it has been suggested that I post this on here as the company were involved in sea kayaks too.

When I was about 15 or 16 years old (15 years ago) I had quite a large touring kayak. I am almost certain that it had "GRANTA" or "GRANATA" marked on it somewhere. It was about 15 feet long, GRP with a pale blue gel coat and was very high volume with deck lines. The cockpit was massive, so large that I had to brace my knees outwards against the cockpit rim, not up against the deck. The sides of the cockpit were supported with square wooden posts, one on each side! It was very stable and flat bottomed. There was a good deal of room behind the seat, which I think was just a moulded platform, not part of the rim.

The closest thing to it might be something by the likes of Ottersport.

I have found nothing on t'internet but would like to confirm what it was and perhaps find a photograph.

Any ideas or help please?
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec »

This is almost certainly a "Granta Classic". I have hung from the roof of my shed. Except mine hasn't got the supports beside the seat.

Cheers
Steve
What do you mean life is short ?
It's the longest thing your going to do.

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Could I be really cheeky and ask for a photo of it when you have time please? I will pm you my email address. Cheers.

Solent Kayak Pages

dave1760

Post by dave1760 »

I think its a Granta 'Warrior'.

They were made in the 1970's by a company out on the fens near Ramsey, in Cambridgeshire. Very high volume, 15 feet long and mine was blue too.

My first boat......(sigh)

No pictures I am afraid but good memories of trying to shoot weirs and sluices in an unsuitable boat. It was good for canoe camping along the River Ouse though.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

Yes, you're right - Granta were in Ramsey. It would have been about 20 years ago that I had a job interview with them there.

Don't know what happened to the company; I visit Ramsey from time to time, and they're no longer where they were on Great Whyte, one of the town's main streets.

Dave28

Post by Dave28 »

Must be over 30 years ago they tried to sell me one of their "new boats" after I sliced through the bottom of my Granta Silver Airflow collapsible running a disused lock on the Ouse on the first day of a six week camping trip.

The Silver Airflow was something else - three seat single cockpit, which would take bermudan rig on main and mizzen masts - used to crawl out along the foredeck when I mislaid the anchor cable!

Happy days!

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec »

5 years ago Granta were trading as "Ottersports ltd" in hunston near Bury st. Edmonds. run by a chap called Matthew Darroch-Thompson.

I don't know what has happened to them since.

Cheers
Steve

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec »

I have e-mailed a few pictures to you Neil,
Here is one of them.

Best wishes,
Steve

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood »

From a 2 seat very stable kayak-4.8m long, 0.75 wide!

Despite its modest size I would recommend at least two people to pick this one up. The construction would be described as "robust".

Anybody care to suggest model name & vintage for this one?

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec »

Hello Jon,
Yours looks like a later Granta boat (but before the move from Ramsey) judging by the seat mounting.
Also you have a different design of manufactures sticker. Mine has not got the post code.

Best wishes,
Steve

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Thanks for the pictures and replies. The blue one is what I had all those years ago. The red double was being made by Ottersports. I have one in dark blue. I can just carry it on my own but it is a pig because of the balancing problem. The floor is very flexible, but it is incredibly stable.

Solent Kayak Pages