Time for a new PFD, any advice?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NickB

Time for a new PFD, any advice?

Post by NickB »

The time has come for me to invest in a new PFD and I really fancied the Peak Sea Zip, but maybe I have missed the boat on that one as the Peak 2008 collection seems to have moved on to the Adventure Zip

http://www.peakuk.com/peakukkit.php?con ... &prodid=10

I want a front central zip and fancy a few pockets, more importantly it needs to fit so I am looking at the XXL sizing (135cm/~50" chest) from Peak, anyone any experience on this PFD or its predecessor or on Peak equipment in general? Any other ideas on a PFD that fits the criteria?
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

I use the Peak Sea Zip and am pretty happy with it. I like the fact that there is not a lot of bulk around the chest (unlike the Kokatat and Yak's?).

There is lots of adjustment in the fit (shoulders and sides) and the two chest pockets are good and deep. A VHF fits nicely in one, with the aerial tucked easily to the side out of the corner, and I carry a pack of miniflares and a camera in the other. The internal carabiners are a bit fiddly in the pockets, but is is great to have all the above attached to them on lanyards.

The rear pocket is fine for a hydro pack, and I sometimes stuff a parachute flare in a tube in too, but it is a bit difficult to access when wearing. Fits well under the arms too.

My biggest gripe is the side tensioning straps which are over-long (or maybe I'm just skinny) and constantly get trapped under the spraydeck when fitting it. Maybe I should just cut them, but I'm loath to take a knife to it.

In all a good, not too bulky PDF that serves my needs and wasn't too pricey. Can't comment on the new model, but it looks VERY similar apart from the re-designed pockets (wider and not as deep and with straight-across rather than slant tops?)

Steve

NickB

Post by NickB »

Ceegee wrote:
My biggest gripe is the side tensioning straps which are over-long (or maybe I'm just skinny) and constantly get trapped under the spraydeck when fitting it. Maybe I should just cut them, but I'm loath to take a knife to it.

Steve
I probably won't have this problem, all the strap length will probably be required! Thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

AllanC

Post by AllanC »

I got the Palm Kaikoura for Xmas, which seems to fit your criteria and I'm really pleased with it, although I've only managed one paddle since then, between uni and a ruined back.
Good fit, comfortable and tons of adjustability. Plenty of storage too, a VHF disappears in to the pocket for it, with tons of room left and enough space for a light cag in the back with a 2l bladder in. I am around a 44" chest, and got the XXL, but it has acres of room to fit up 50+" I guess. Seems well made and it's got a lot more mobility compared to my old BA (Wildwater 5 pocket). Mine was around £110, but I'm told that it's avalable for <£100 online if you look. I don't know how that compares to the Peak.
My tuppence worth, hope it's useful and it's just my opinion.

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

I have a grey/ice 2006 sea zip - I don't have a lot of stuff stashed away in pockets etc. when I go kayaking, but I can't think of anything wrong with it (apart from the side-tensioning straps being too long & the price). The cut is perfect; you forget that you are wearing it sometimes.

YvonneB

Post by YvonneB »

I believe there are some Sea Zips for sale on Ebay, new.

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Just occured to me...

Try Scottish Paddler Supplies. Mike still has the old model listed on the website (£95) if you particularly want that model, so it might still be in stock. That's where I got mine.

Steve

NickB

Post by NickB »

Thanks for the replies, at the moment the sea zips available on line seem to be a similar price to the adventure zip, so I will wait to the expo to try and find a bargain!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Erling

Post by Erling »

Speaking of PFDs - any news on the inflatable Palm? It would be nice to let the breathable drysuit, well, breath.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Pete

Re: Time for a new PFD, any advice?

Post by Pete »

NickB wrote:The time has come for me to invest in a new PFD and I really fancied the Peak Sea Zip, but maybe I have missed the boat on that one as the Peak 2008 collection seems to have moved on to the Adventure Zip
I'm on my third sea-zip in 8 years (I coach professionaly and also use this PFD for open boating). They get better with every revision. The name adventurer is purely to comply with new international PFD regulations, the use of the word SEA in the name implies that the device is for use on the open Ocean (in other words a proper Lifejacket in old money).

Mine have all been in a perfectly serviceable state when I've upgraded, I'm just a gear junkie!

Rubycon

New PFD

Post by Rubycon »

I was one of the first to buy the new Palm Kaikoura Tour PFD. Its fantastic with all the right pockets and a superb fit.. My paddling buddy brought one as soon as he had tried mine on! Almost had to wrestle it back of him**
Its not cheap but its the Dogs Nuts!!!!!
Nuff said.

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

My vote goes with the Kaikoura too. I've had a few trips in it now and love it.
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Mq

B/A

Post by Mq »

Looking to get paddling again after a long break ,thing is Im looking for an all in one b/a for sea paddling ww/rescue/surfing and playboatin.

Does such a b/a exist ,dont want to have to buy 2 or 3!!

Any ideas..

Regards,

Matt..