Palm Kaikoura PFD

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
NeilG

Palm Kaikoura PFD

Post by NeilG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:59 pm

I managed to get the size and colour I wanted today - birthday present.
Funnily enough, it is reviewed in the latest edition of OP that arrived today while I was out buying it. There is very limited stock at Bournemouth Canoes and Woodmill Canoe Centre in Southampton.

I just wanted to say that if you are toying with getting one, you won't disappointed. It really is excellent even if it is £109. Very good quality and four of the seven pockets are very useable. The two main front pockets are BIG. I haven't tried my VHF in the pocket yet, but there is a hole for the aerial to poke out from. The back pocket is good for a 1.5 litre water bladder and two or three flares. The other three would suit small flat stuff. The hand warmer pockets are an excellent idea. The whistle pocket also holds my pocket knife easily too.

TIP:
It doesn't come with a water bladder, even though the pocket and loops are there for the hose. If you buy the PFD, there is a ProAction brand 1.5l water pouch in the Argos catalogue for £9.99 and it fits. Remove it from it's back pack first of course, and shorten the hose to suit. This is a lot cheaper than a Camelbak bag at £25 in Halfords.

I am really pleased with it, so will be selling my assorted collection of bouyancy aids that I acquired enroute to this one!

I have no ties with any of the companies mentioned....
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 pm

It's on my wish list even though it's not available in Mango. ;)

But isn't it difficult to get a VHF out of the pocket if the aerial is poking through an aperture?

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:07 pm

I've just been playing with my radio. As it happens, my aerial is set on the left of the radio (when looking at the screen) so the aerial poking out of the top of the zip is fine. I think you are right though about the aerial hole - it will be fiddly. I suppose that if you are only going to use it in an emergency, it is not too much of a problem getting it out, only putting it away again.

I've only seen it in red and royal blue. It doesn't appear to be on PALM's own website yet?

Solent Kayak Pages

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:18 pm

I find the aerial hole is very fiddly when putting the radio in the pocket, but it ensures that it is held very firmly and makes it easy to listen in. You can put other stuff into the pocket without disturbing the radio. For making a call it slides out ever so easily, no problem at all.

What do you put in the inside back pocket? or is it for your passport when travelling abroad?

NeilG

Post by NeilG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Err. Very flat stuff. Or maybe a battery operated back massager.

I have a small laminated card with emergency contact details on: my details and a few telephone numbers for me in case my 'phone should perish for some reason. I've always been tempted to laminate a small envelope with a £20 note in it, as 'get me out of trouble' money if all else fails and I am washed up somewhere. Maybe a credit card for emergencies would be better or a few small coins for a telephone if you can find one.

These sort of things could go in there, but I think this is one of the less useful pockets.

Solent Kayak Pages

ls

Post by ls » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Another option is Radio in the back pocket, with the water bag...

Also car key in the inside pocket?