UKSKGB photo comp 2008 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Helen M

UKSKGB photo comp 2008 - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Post by Helen M »

1ST Journeyman (Stormgathering photo)
2ND Captain Sensible (photo of 2 paddlers from above)
3RD Andreadawn (St Bee's - sunlight on water)

BUT - Wait - I still have to pick another 10 photo for the calendar that Journeyman is kindly putting together for me. Will be pming people over this weekend when I've decided which others are going in the calendar.

Believe me this has been really difficult deciding which photos to go for. I loved them all. I will be pming Mark R and OP with details of where they should send their prizes - thanks for sponsoring it guys. I should also add that Jace at UKC&K very kindly donated a years subs too. journeyman chose that. Ta Jace.

H - x

... Start snapping. I'll start sorting out the T&C! Basically it'll be a photo comp running from Jan 2008 - end Oct 2008.

Prizes so far:

Mark R - T- shirt

journeyman - If 13 of the best photos are chosen, I'll produce a 12 month calendar for each of the "13 winners" (12 months + the cover). I can even title it UKRGB 2008 calendar if you like.

Ocean Paddler Magazine are donating a years subscription - thanks guys

Am sure they'll be a few more prizes donated - feel free to PM me!

Watch out for more details in Jan.

H - x

PS - Winners will be announced in the next few days - honestly!
Last edited by Helen M on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

soundoftheseagull
Location: Lives in a Pineapple but NOT under the sea, Prestatyn, North Wales

Aldi Photo service

Post by soundoftheseagull »

On the subject of calendars check out the Aldi site, great value and what a way to use your snaps.
I have ordered two, great service and they arrive within three days.
With Christmas coming up they make such a different gift, yawn, and I must get a life.
But for the price they cannot be beaten.
Dave

Rockpool GT

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

OK - You can post more than one photo on here throughout the course of the comp, HOWEVER, only one will be accepted for the final judging - you must make the decision as to which one is put forward before the end of the comp (end Oct 2008).

Any photo taken while out sea kayaking is eligible (from 1st Jan 2008) - only stipulation is it has to have the sea in it.

Good luck all - and please keep PMing me with prizes.

H - x

Jim

Post by Jim »

Only rule is that it has to have the sea in it? So kayaks are optional? How are you going to know whether my entry was taken on a kayak trip or our annual company yachting trip (rainbow on Lismore lighthouse for example)???

I promise not to cheat, but I'm not so sure about some of these reprobates!

Jim

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

I trust them there reprobates! Stupid of me, I know!

H - x

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Is this going anywhere??

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

MikeB wrote:Is this going anywhere??
It will do when people start to get out there paddling - think people are waiting for better weather! The photos will start to appear shortly - honestly - get snapping folks!

H - x

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Do they have to be pics of sea boating or just boating in the sea? I.e. are surf pics eligible?

Denzil

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

Photos taken from a surf kayak are acceptable as you are technically kayaking in the sea and therefore seakayaking!

H -x

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

I'll get the ball rolling - I took this one this morning (didn't paddle [just had a virus thing], but went for a walk instead = not in a sea kayak = disqualified?).

This was an impulse shot that turned out quite well; Kevin Mansell (top) and Chris Jones (bottom) were paddling very close to a local harbour wall and I was almost directly above them = a shot that I like with old/seasoned/faded nordkapps and nice pointy shapes and hatch symmetry and nice crisp water elements etc.

(the original is much better - this has been hastily re-sized/sampled and crudely sharpened)

edit - here is a compressed (600K versus 4+ megabytes) but not resized version of the original:

Last edited by CaptainSensible on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

OK - am kinda making the rules up as I go along here. On the basis that you sea kayak regularly, and would normally be out there - I'm prepared to accept it - should it be your final choice.

Great photo - thanks for starting the ball rolling.

H - x

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

I have a few Sea pics from the summer.

Is clearly the best. It has everything (almost)

Paddlers in a line, some with beards, a far off destination, the front of my boat, all it's lacking is some seals or puffins or something.

Is also quite fun. It was a long way!

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas »

Tom_Laws wrote:Paddlers in a line
well ... 3 out of the 4 paddlers are in a line ;-)

Oh - and you could add 'sloping horizon' to the list - that's a 'must' for sea kayak photography!
Dave Thomas

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

Oh Tom! Such a shame that they are not eligible - they need to be taken this year!

Never mind - you have the rest of the year to practice. Thanks for sharing though.

H - x

seindal

Post by seindal »

Here's a photo taken at dusk in the harbour of Copenhagen, Denmark, close to the statue of the little mermaid.

Unfortunately, due to the low light conditions and the camera used, the photo is not good for hi-res printing. It is a bit unsharp.

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh »

Can I submit this:

≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

fiona

Post by fiona »

Sgian Dubh, I don't think your photo will be eligible as they have to be taken in 2008. That's an absolutely stunning photo though.

landlocked

Post by landlocked »

Had that as my screen saver for a while. Absolutely sums up a fun day. A high quality shot that tells a thousand stories. It's what photography is all about.

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Meon Shore across mouth of Southampton Water towards Fawley, taken at sunset on Monday 11th Feb.

2 Megapixel camera in a Nokia phone!
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

Mark99

Post by Mark99 »

Gasp! I've never seen Sgian Dubh's photo before, it's amazing! Any chance of the techie details please, camera film(?) and stuff?

Poke

Post by Poke »

Well, this was kayaking on the sea, so technically a sea kayaking shot, albeit not really in a sea kayak.
Also, it is featuring, rather than taken by, me, though I’m sure that robt won’t mind me entering the shot (if it counts :-) – to be fair, he hasn’t even seen it yet!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

Arisaig, Aug 07.

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

Arisaig - One of my all time favourite places - good choice! - Having said that - just realised photo was taken 2007 - The comp is for 2008!

PLEASE - take photos!

H - x

Scots_Charles_River

Post by Scots_Charles_River »

Ok, soz. (wee red face smiley)

Will now need to go back !

Although that will certainly not be a chore. (weee smiley with shades on)

Nick

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh »

Mark99 wrote: I've never seen Sgian Dubh's photo before...

Hi Mark. I took this with the Ricoh GRD on time lapse. It trades fancy buttons for simplicity & quality. I also use a Canon Ixus & a wee bit of PSCS to manage the black & white tones since film is an art in decline & I can't afford to turn the toilet into a darkroom, but I use that in a minimal sense. A photo is what it is - a moment. It's like rolling, sometimes it's effortless & perfect, other days you may as well be in a cement mixer wi a shovel. For rare occasions of using film I use my old Rolieflex. If a photo inspires -look at Douglas & his work- then it is a good photo. It's as complicated as that.

I hate colour, life is full of that. Black & white makes the brain fill in the power of the day, it tells a better story done right...;) With that said, I've just offered to buy my collie a hot sausage from they Coop deli counter....I'm not sure how I was talked into this, but we must get on a jolly across the glen...apparently. Tenious link? No, he is also black & white. :o)
≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

Not sea kayaking related, but this competition needs reviving and this is a nice example of somewhere you don't really want to be in a sea kayak (taken at this morning at high [37 feet] tide).

(apologies for all of the obvious/two minute job post-processing, but the original was a bit unsharp despite the benefits of image-stabilisation [wind was very strong] - I'm happy with the composition though)

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn »

February 2008, St Bees, Cumbria.

Andrea.

Helen M

Post by Helen M »

Stunning photo Andrea - love it.

H - x

Sgian Dubh

Post by Sgian Dubh »

And CaptainSensible's photo after a wee bit of time in the Digital Darkroom. Please don't take this as an insult to your excellent photo which stands on it's own very well CS. I merely wanted to demonstrate what a wee bit of digital processing can do to a photograph by enhancing the stops & tonal correction. Niether are worse or better.

≈• Black Knife Blog•≈
≈•Qaannat Kattuffiat•≈

TerryH

Photo Comp.

Post by TerryH »

Hi
How about this?
Taken 10-02-08 The headland is Scarborough.
Incredibly calm no wind sunny. Fog as the day warmed up for return trip.
Ah how do I paste a picture into amessage board?